Best Source Powder Coating Powder

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

vetman
Senior Silent Operator

Best Source Powder Coating Powder

Post by vetman »

Where is the best place to buy Powder for powder coating?

Also, what are the best colors to use and are their colors to avoid?
twcrowe12
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best Source Powder Coating Powder

Post by twcrowe12 »

Look at the several threads with the answers to your questions for more detailed information, but I would go with dmc2 on ebay or powderbuythepound.com. So long as it's TGIC-Polyester (RAL) you'll be fine. Personally I stay away from anything matte.
griff383

Post by griff383 »

There is a guy on castboolits that is selling good stuff for a reasonable price. I just ordered some and from what I gather its just as good (or better) as anything out there
ipijohn

Post by ipijohn »

I have bee using whatever powder these guys have on their discount list with great success. They currently have a red on discount for $3.99/ pound. http://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/
Pistolpeta
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pistolpeta »

harbor freight brotha!
3.99 for 16oz
poor color choices but for lube!
skizzums

Post by skizzums »

I bought mine from smoke on castboolits, I think it was about 9$ a pound, but its really light and fluffy and sticks/coats sooo much better than harbor freight red. plus all his colors stick, and he has some sweet colors, I prefer the gloss black and the midnight blue. cover great in one coat. try it out, you will be a customer for life
skizzums

Post by skizzums »

this is the result of a single tumble coat from the smoke powder on castboolits

gloss black LEE 230gr

I could have gotten a perfect coat, but I was being lazy and picking them from under the BB's, still a pretty great result, it doesn't need to be perfect to do its job BTW
skizzums

Post by skizzums »

here is the harbor freight RED, this is a single cool-whip coat, not as even, but still does the job just as effectively, plus its a bit cheaper and available at the store

human

Post by human »

I am going to try out preheating the bullets.
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldpapps »

"Where is the best place to buy Powder for powder coating?

Also, what are the best colors to use and are their colors to avoid?"

That's a big order.
The 'best' of anything is highly subjective in these matters.
I have used Harbor Freight's Red. It works well but my local HF is some what hit and miss as to what they have on the shelf.
I buy most of what I use from Powder By The Pound and will continue. I find it does everything I want.

As these are the only two sources I have used or needed, I can't speak for any of the others. I don't see why they would be much different.

Back in the dark ages of powder coating, what, 20 or 22 months ago, there was a big concern the black was bad. I have never seen anything to prove of disprove this.

I have moved to a Cristal Clear polyester coating. I can add in a little color if I like and get full coverage of the lead.

With the prices of powder, pick a vendor and color. If you don't like the results, try another. You can always mix your test colors :)

Enjoy,

OSOK