WTK: are these .30 Poly Coated Bullet any good for 300 BO

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

md66948

WTK: are these .30 Poly Coated Bullet any good for 300 BO

Post by md66948 »

I picked up a variety of brass and bullets at an auction. One box is 250 count of .30 cal 165 gr FP Poly Coated bullets from Roger's Better Bullets.

Has anyone ever loaded these in a 300 BO? If not I will just put them up for sale with my other items.

imashooter2

Re: WTK: are these .30 Poly Coated Bullet any good for 300 BO

Post by imashooter2 »

I have not loaded those bullets in particular, but they look very similar in profile to the Lee 150 grain RNFP. Those would feed and chamber for me, but the nose was heavily gouged by the AR locking lugs on their way in. No idea how they would have grouped, I wasn’t going to waste powder or primers on them.
md66948

Post by md66948 »

Thank You!

Dane
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I have a subsonic load for a very similar bullet to those in one of my barrels. My match grade barrel won't chamber it. But another barrel seems to feed it fine now that I found the magic OAL. Took a while to figure it out. Not sure how well they group. I use them for super quiet backyard plinkers at about 25 yards.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

you're likely to get mixed results in an AR platform due to the profile and being able to feed, but i pretty comfortable they could be made to work just fine in a bolt/single shot.

with a trailboss load under them you could have a stupid quiet sub load. it'd probably smack like a SOB too with that big old flat meplat.

they dont seem to offer the PC version anymore, but their standard cast/lube version of the same bullet (or what appears to be) is a 21 brinell hardness so super hard cast.

you should be able to drive these relatively hard before they go too wonky. 1500 fps should be easy, and probably even upwards to 1900 or so if you can get enough powder under them safely, but you'll have to play with that. our fast twist barrels might spin these apart before you get there. i'd give 4227 a try for something like that as it seems to be happy downloading charges with this caliber and other bullets. start nice and low and work up like anything. you might have a pleasant supprise on your hands. even if you only end up with a 1500 fps plinker, theres no need to toss them out.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I shoot a bullet from Missouri Bullets that weighs 160 gr and is Hitec coated. Not a reliable feeder in a AR but works great in my .30-30 single shot, RARR bolt gun 300 BLK, and in a 20" .308. All are subs in each caliber. Trail Boss is a good one...just not able to find any more so far in this area.
TR
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

If the PC was done right and they are sized for your barrel they will do fine. The blunt nose may be a problem but I use a RD design 170 gr and it will feed when the COL is proper.