PSA 16'' Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, 300 AAC Barrel

Moderators: gds, PalmettoStateArmory

Emilio
Silent Operator

Re: PSA 16'' Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, 300 AAC Barrel

Post by Emilio »

That was posted later for butt saving. :mrgreen:
The rain from Spain is quiet.

Member of the Liberty suppressor underground.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Isn't it a required step when assembling an upper to check headspace?
how can they warrant the assembly when you are using someone else's upper receiver?
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

socal425 wrote:This from PSA's website: "It is the customer's responsibility to check the headspace of the barrel..."

Just wondering why PSA can't do it themselves and ensure that their product is GTG? I would think that it would benefit both PSA and the consumer by taking that step. If there are known issues with the barrel headspace, why ship them out in the first place and have the consumer go through all the trouble and send it back? Is there something I'm missing?
If you are purchasing just their barrel and assembling the upper yourself (or having someone other than PSA doing it) then they are 100% correct. It is the responsibility of whomever assembles the upper to verify correct headspace.
socal425

Post by socal425 »

AR-300 wrote:Isn't it a required step when assembling an upper to check headspace?
how can they warrant the assembly when you are using someone else's upper receiver?
L1A1Rocker wrote:If you are purchasing just their barrel and assembling the upper yourself (or having someone other than PSA doing it) then they are 100% correct. It is the responsibility of whomever assembles the upper to verify correct headspace.
Thanks for clarifying and that makes sense. I was under the wrong impression that it was a barrel manufacturing issue. My bad.
SIG P228
1911 Springfield MC Operator
Springfield XD9 Service- wife
Ruger 22/45- kids
S&W M&P 15
Ruger 10/22 Tactical- kids
Mossberg 500
"Mandatory to grow old, Optional to grow up!"
jason
Silent But Deadly

Post by jason »

chach3 wrote: I got vertical scratches, but I also have two gouges that happen on every single case I fired in the exact same spot.

Called PSA and they sent me a label and I am getting it to UPS today. Great customer service.
I don't have the scratches, but I do have two gouges. Maybe I should give them a call. I guess I need to scrounge up a box.
chach3

Post by chach3 »

Well I got my barrel back yesterday and I put my rifle back together. So I went to put a cycle a few rounds through it just to check how it feeds. Well I chamber the first round and then I pull the charging handle let it go and the second round chambers. I pull the charging handle again to eject the second round and the charging handle won't budge. I had to pull with both hands to eject the round.

I thought maybe it was a bad round, and or magazine combination. I loaded different rounds in different magazines and I still get rounds stuck in the chamber.

I was using a new bolt carrier group also, so I thought maybe that was the problem. So I swapped out bolt carrier groups and it still got stuck.

So maybe it was dirty or something. I had already cleaned it once, but I just did a quick job of it. So I cleaned the hell out of it. Bore snake, brushes, patches. Used a bore brush too and to no avail the same problem.

I might try and test fire it tonight and see what happens.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

chach3 wrote:Well I got my barrel back yesterday and I put my rifle back together. So I went to put a cycle a few rounds through it just to check how it feeds. Well I chamber the first round and then I pull the charging handle let it go and the second round chambers. I pull the charging handle again to eject the second round and the charging handle won't budge. I had to pull with both hands to eject the round.

I thought maybe it was a bad round, and or magazine combination. I loaded different rounds in different magazines and I still get rounds stuck in the chamber.
what do your headspace gauges tell you?
chach3

Post by chach3 »

I don't have headspace gauges. The barrel didn't do this when I sent it to them. I can't justify paying $54 for something that I will use once and then sit in a drawer. I trusted that the manufacturer would get it right and I wouldn't have to deal with this crap.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

If you aren't willing to buy headspace gauges, you can rent them for like $8
If you are not willing to do that,
you should have purchased an assembled complete upper IMHO
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
chach3

Post by chach3 »

AR-300 wrote:If you aren't willing to buy headspace gauges, you can rent them for like $8
I rented gauges just now. I didn't know that you could do that. Thanks for the suggestion

I think the barrel went on sale before they offered complete uppers. Plus I was doing this build with all the extra parts I had laying around.