NOE 309 129Gr. PT (CLOSED) Thanks for the orders!

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

Smoke
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE 309 129Gr. PT

Post by Smoke »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Wow this thread is exciting and I'm not even involved hahaha.

Just a question out of curiosity. Does powder coating help/affect how easily the bullet can be deformed when loading?

My guess is that it doesn't help much because an AR is kind of violent when it loads but I figured I would ask.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how this all turns out :)
Actually I see this mold as a good thing.. people willing to experiment to broaden the knowledge base..
with any new design there will be a trial and error process ..

powdercoating has a hardness of approx. 26-28 so yes its like a thin jacket.. it will help some with deform issues
FFL, SOT

lover of things that go bang or silently make things fall over C:
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE 309 129Gr. PT (CLOSED) Thanks for the orders!

Post by tedscissors »

Mold, handles and thermometer arrived yesterday and was packaged to survive a bomb!

great looking mold, anxious to try out this casting business.

thanks all
Dustinreeder
Silent Operator

Post by Dustinreeder »

Still possible to get a 4 cavity .309
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Dustinreeder wrote:Still possible to get a 4 cavity .309
(4) 4 cavity plain base still available
(5) 4 cavity (2) plain base (2) GC available

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30
Black Rifles Matter
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Smoke wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Wow this thread is exciting and I'm not even involved hahaha.

Just a question out of curiosity. Does powder coating help/affect how easily the bullet can be deformed when loading?

My guess is that it doesn't help much because an AR is kind of violent when it loads but I figured I would ask.

Actually I see this mold as a good thing.. people willing to experiment to broaden the knowledge base..

powdercoating has a hardness of approx. 26-28 so yes its like a thin jacket.. it will help some with deform issues
Thanks for that input on the hardness Smoke. I loaded some PC cast bullets today and didn't size the neck any differently like is recommended for pure cast bullets. I did bell the mouth though. I had excellent results and am thinking that the PC kept the neck from smushing/sizing down the shank of the bullet as it was seated into the brass neck. If this is true then maybe the PC will help prevent the point of this new bullet from getting deformed upon chambering :)
Smoke
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smoke »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Smoke wrote:

Thanks for that input on the hardness Smoke. I loaded some PC cast bullets today and didn't size the neck any differently like is recommended for pure cast bullets. I did bell the mouth though. I had excellent results and am thinking that the PC kept the neck from smushing/sizing down the shank of the bullet as it was seated into the brass neck. If this is true then maybe the PC will help prevent the point of this new bullet from getting deformed upon chambering :)
I made the same mistake last week .. in a hurry to do some test loads.. Forgot the size the bullets (MY lee 309-230-5r pc'ed unsized will run 311 to 312 ) Started to seat bullets with Dillon 650 and noticed a huge OAL difference shell to shell .. took me about an hour checking Everything trying to see what had changed before the famous HEADSLAP.. case necks should have been .310 but the oversized Pc'ed Bullets were swelling them to 312-313 giving me all different OAL's
FFL, SOT

lover of things that go bang or silently make things fall over C:
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

So with the little things I have seen from my first cast PC bullets adventure, I am leaning towards the thinking that you can treat them like jacketed bullets.

So far after sizing my PC cast bullets I have loaded them and shot them just like Jackated bullets with the exception of belling out the case mouths when I seat the bullet.

-My brass was sized for jacketed bullets not cast bullets
-Shanks of PC cast did not seem to be smooshed/sized down by the normal case neck sized for jacketed bullets
-My AR jams did not seem to deform or gash the PC cast bullet like they would have a non PC cast lead bullet
-PC bullets can be shot at jacketed speeds

I hope someone does PC and non-PC tip deformation test with this new NOE 309 128gr bullet to see if the PC is enough to keep the tips from getting bent/dinged. This would prevent the need for a hard cast alloy. I don't have the bullets and don't cast so I cannot test.

I would like to see a 1 to 3 PC coat test on a cast bullet with regular alloy hardness be performed to see if the tip avoids being disturbed. I'm just curious like that :)
Rushthezeppelin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rushthezeppelin »

tallburnedmidget wrote:So with the little things I have seen from my first cast PC bullets adventure, I am leaning towards the thinking that you can treat them like jacketed bullets.

So far after sizing my PC cast bullets I have loaded them and shot them just like Jackated bullets with the exception of belling out the case mouths when I seat the bullet.

-My brass was sized for jacketed bullets not cast bullets
-Shanks of PC cast did not seem to be smooshed/sized down by the normal case neck sized for jacketed bullets
-My AR jams did not seem to deform or gash the PC cast bullet like they would have a non PC cast lead bullet
-PC bullets can be shot at jacketed speeds

I hope someone does PC and non-PC tip deformation test with this new NOE 309 128gr bullet to see if the PC is enough to keep the tips from getting bent/dinged. This would prevent the need for a hard cast alloy. I don't have the bullets and don't cast so I cannot test.

I would like to see a 1 to 3 PC coat test on a cast bullet with regular alloy hardness be performed to see if the tip avoids being disturbed. I'm just curious like that :)
PC kinda works half like a lube and half like a jacket. You still have to size over groove diameter to avoid leading but you can load softer alloys to higher speeds (while still being lower pressure than jacketed). Yes it does seem to be a little more resistant to swaging in the case neck when seated but it still can swage, I'm sure differing neck thickness and hardness can also magnify this. I will do a test tonight of feeding bare 129s vs air cooled PC coww vs water quenched PC coww if i have time.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Powdercoating will NOT prevent a soft tip from deforming. The strength must be in the base alloy as the powdercoat is too thin to do anything other than act as a micro thin jacket (too keep lead away from the barrel steel).

Bullet lube is not a lube, but more of an anti-flux to keep lead from sticking to the barrel. It also helps seal in powder gas to prevent blowby.
Black Rifles Matter
swedenelson

Post by swedenelson »

I have received two or three reports of "fining" with this bullet.

We have ran this mould now for the last 3 days and this is our findings.
The vent lines in the mould are within our standards and tolerance.

The design of the nose is acting like a sprue funnel and the body of the bullet is acting
like a pressure reservoir. This puts the nose of the bullet in a pressure cast condition.

The best way we have found to reduce this is to keep the blocks on the cool side.
We have cast with block at 250F to 280F with little or no whiskers on them.
Ran the heat up to 320F and started to get a little more as the heat increased.
We didn't start to get frosty bullets until we got to 380F to 400F.
So if you are getting any frosting you are running way to hot for this bullet.

On the up side all of the whiskers that we did get we were able to whip off with a shop cloth.

If this is a problem for any one we do offer a money back guarantee
and we will send out a refund if you send your mould back

Bullet maker, maker
Swede Nelson
More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.