300 blk out

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

CESTILL345

300 blk out

Post by CESTILL345 »

Ok, I heard about the 300 blk out. Can someone explain the pro's and the con's to me? I trying to read about it but I want to hear from someone that is knowledgable about this gun.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: 300 blk out

Post by JohnInNH »

CESTILL345 wrote:Ok, I heard about the 300 blk out. Can someone explain the pro's and the con's to me? I trying to read about it but I want to hear from someone that is knowledgable about this gun.
The BLK is a compact 30-30 powered round giving shooters the ability to shoot a .30 in an AR platform with just a barrel change, and cycle both supersonic and SOME subsonic loads.

It is SBR and Silencer friendly in that at short barrel lengths the muzzle pressure is less than a 5.56 in a 16“ barrel.

The smaller case makes it a lot better for people who want to shoot subsonics.

In a bolt gun you can hand load stupid quiet subs when using a silencer. It makes a very light compact short to mid range white tail deer rifle. Almost like a M94 30-30, but with the accuracy of a bolt gun.

Most BLK rifles have a fast twist. 1:8 is the first stab at it, but was changed after many bought them, with now, an even faster 1:7 twist. You really only need the ultra fast 1:7 for subsonic bullets at over 220 gr. Most shooters will be OK with the 1:8 .

If you plan on shooting SBR's with subs the new twist is a good idea. I understand why the twist changed, and wish my two were 1:7's for me it was a better fit.

Pros: SBR/SILENCER friendly, fits in an AR with just a barrel swap, feeds and cycles super/subs in the AR, has 30-30 like power in a compact package, is a commercially available cartridge.

Cons: not many other than it may need fairly expensive bullets to perform the best, is not mid weight (147-175 gr) friendly, it prefers 110-130 gr bullets. If you reload it has a very short neck, bushing neck sizing dies are not made for it. Ammo is not as cheap as steel case or bulk 223. The short case can cause ejection difficulties in some bolt actions.

That's about it. It is a versatile compact moderately powered round. Do not expect it to out perform most .30 cal rounds. In our need for speed the BLK is not the winner. By using the Barnes all copper controlled expansion bullets designed to perform at the BLK's reduced velocity it makes up for that limitation.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Post by C2_Drew »

This probably needs to be moved out of the classified section. John is correct on all points, especially about bullet selection. You need to be extra careful when choosing bullets for this caliber. COAL needs to be at least 2.120 and the bullet should be seated at least .250.
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!
CESTILL345

Post by CESTILL345 »

JohnInNH wrote:
CESTILL345 wrote:Ok, I heard about the 300 blk out. Can someone explain the pro's and the con's to me? I trying to read about it but I want to hear from someone that is knowledgable about this gun.
The BLK is a compact 30-30 powered round giving shooters the ability to shoot a .30 in an AR platform with just a barrel change, and cycle both supersonic and SOME subsonic loads.

It is SBR and Silencer friendly in that at short barrel lengths the muzzle pressure is less than a 5.56 in a 16“ barrel.

In a bolt gun you can hand load stupid quiet subs when using a silencer. It makes a very light compact short to mid range white tail deer rifle. Almost like a M94 30-30, but with the accuracy of a bolt gun.

Most BLK rifles have a fast twist. 1:8 is the first stab at it, but was changed after many bought them, with now, an even faster 1:7 twist. You really only need the ultra fast 1:7 for subsonic bullets at over 220 gr. Most shooters will be OK with the 1:8 .

If you plan on shooting SBR's with subs the new twist is a good idea. I understand why the twist changed, and wish my two were 1:7's for me it was a better fit.

Pros: SBR/SILENCER friendly, fits in an AR with just a barrel swap, feeds and cycles super/subs in the AR, has 30-30 like power in a compact package, is a commercially available cartridge.

Cons: not many other than it may need fairly expensive bullets to perform the best, is not mid weight (147-175 gr) friendly, it prefers 110-130 gr bullets. If you reload it has a very short neck, bushing neck sizing dies are not made for it. Ammo is not as cheap as steel case or bulk 223. The short case can cause ejection difficulties in some bolt actions.

That's about it. It is a versatile compact moderately powered round. Do not expect it to out perform most .30 cal rounds. In our need for speed the BLK is not the winner. By using the Barnes all copper controlled expansion bullets designed to perform at the BLK's reduced velocity it makes up for that limitation.
Thanks you so very much for helping me out! If I am thinking correct(probablly not), you really could use this for hunting or CQB.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Yes, absolutely !

It has some very good things about it. The BLK does not give up a whole heck of a lot. Just be prepared to spend some extra money for the best components for the specific task. Not unusual. A 100 hunting bullets last most people a long time. So really no biggie.

Expectations. Key word, as long as people realistically understand the BLK's capabilities all is good. 30-30 performance is pretty darn good for the small packaging. :mrgreen:
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
CESTILL345

Post by CESTILL345 »

JohnInNH wrote:Yes, absolutely !

It has some very good things about it. The BLK does not give up a whole heck of a lot. Just be prepared to spend some extra money for the best components for the specific task. Not unusual. A 100 hunting bullets last most people a long time. So really no biggie.

Expectations. Key word, as long as people realistically understand the BLK's capabilities all is good. 30-30 performance is pretty darn good for the small packaging. :mrgreen:
THANKS MAN! You are helping more than you think. At least I am in more of an understanding than I was.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JohnInNH wrote:

John, you did an OUTSTANDING job of describing what the 300BLK is in real world application. Kudos to you sir!
shabba
Senior Silent Operator

Post by shabba »

one more thing, it uses the same magazines and the same bolt. all you really change is the barrel. the fbi and pd,s and military are all looking at this very hard.and as john said, when you use the barnes bullets like the fbi did in their test, they shot through car doors! so yes you can use it for hd and deer hunting. i will.
a wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer Bruce Lee