3D Printed Chute for Cutting Down 223/5.56 Brass

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

Umrek

3D Printed Chute for Cutting Down 223/5.56 Brass

Post by Umrek »

For those of us making our own 300 Blackout brass.

I designed a 3D printed chute that works with the ZEP style 300 Blackout cutoff jigs, a Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw and small ShapVac (1 1/4"). The 223/5.56 necks and most of the brass 'glitter' gets vacuumed up. The cut brass to be converted to 300 Blackout drops out the bottom of the chute and in my case into bucket on the floor next to my work bench. This has significantly sped up my cutting with a lot less stopping and very little mess to clean up afterwords.

If you have one of these setups and would like to purchase the chute, let me know via PM or email at [email protected]. I'll sell them for $30 shipped. They are made to order and payment can be made via PayPal once its ready to ship.

I'm new to 300BlkTalk but long time member at www.northwestfirearms.com with 100% positive feedback.

Edit 11/19
I now have a second version that incorporates the cutoff jig into the vacuum chute for those that don't have or want a Zep jig. Version 2 is $40 shipped.

Also, I will guarantee 100% satisfaction or your money back. Discount prices for military and first responders, email me for details.
Last edited by Umrek on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: 3D Printed Chute for Cutting Down 223/5.56 Brass

Post by Sig220 »

Can you post some more pictures? Maybe of how the cases drop after trimming or a pic of just the 3d printed chute?

I set mine up to feed from right to left, and I see you are set up left to right. Don't even know the name of the "jig" I use so not sure your chute will work for me but I like the idea. Bought a 3D printed primer chute to keep the used primers off the floor when depriming. It works like a charm!
Umrek

Post by Umrek »

Sig220

You are correct. The Zep jigs feed from the left. My chute is offset for the right and uses the bolt holes in the saw base to attach to. It wouldn't work in the left of the saw.

The large circular portion with the 300 Blackout label is a cone that funnels the cut brass to a hole below it. My block of wood base has a large hole cut in it where it aligns with this cone. You could attach a hose to direct the cut brass if you wanted to. I just locate it over a bucket on the floor and the brass falls right into it. Here's a few more pictures.

Umrek

Post by Umrek »

ttt
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

With pushing brass from left to right what holds it at the correct distance for the cut? My design feeds from R to L and uses a pin to index the case. Interested in ordering one just dont like to have my finger under the saw motor during the cut.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
Umrek

Post by Umrek »

Bob the nailer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 pm With pushing brass from left to right what holds it at the correct distance for the cut? My design feeds from R to L and uses a pin to index the case. Interested in ordering one just dont like to have my finger under the saw motor during the cut.
On the Zep jigs there is a small spring loaded ball bearing that indexes on the case rim/extractor groove. This detent holds the brass at the correct length from the blade. My chute butts up against the Zep jig and is only designed to work on the right side covering the saw blade. So unfortunately if you feed brass R to L this chute will not work.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bob the nailer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 pm With pushing brass from left to right what holds it at the correct distance for the cut? My design feeds from R to L and uses a pin to index the case. Interested in ordering one just dont like to have my finger under the saw motor during the cut.
Probably one of the best, safest jigs out there.

The jig bolts to the saw base using existing holes so yo can set cutting length and square.

the case is fully enclosed and there is a detent ball and spring that snaps into the rim of the case so no hands required to hold the case. push the cut case out with the new case.

Pics here in the add with install instructions.
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=8084

Video of use

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rySmFSnk ... ata_player

I think that chute would be a nice addition
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
vz58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vz58 »

Very nice addition to our jigs.

Lots of good minds and helpful people out there!
Caveman Jim

Post by Caveman Jim »

I was one of the first in Washington that reviewed this awesome companion to the cutoff jig.
I'll try and find my review later. Rest assured it is the real deal for clean 300BLK conversion.

Jim Sr.
Life member NRA
You are either with us as Americans Or You are against us There is no IN BETWEEN
We cannot negotiate with those who say, What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable JFK
Umrek

Post by Umrek »

Caveman Jim wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 am I was one of the first in Washington that reviewed this awesome companion to the cutoff jig.
I'll try and find my review later. Rest assured it is the real deal for clean 300BLK conversion.

Jim Sr.
Thank you for the kind words sir! :)