Looking for some bad brass

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

skydiver41
Silent Operator

Re: Looking for some bad brass

Post by skydiver41 »

I will dig through my stuff and see what I can come up with.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

That is a Whisper chamber. It uses 221 Fireball brass that is trimmed to 1.40”. My Contenter barrel that also suffered from lead rings is also a Whisper barrel.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

So I bought a box of 150 Herter's "Target" .223 at the local Bass Pro hoping is was the HRTRS headstamp mentioned in the good/bad thread. Opened the box and it was LC and had a crimped primer. :shock: Oh well, there's always room for more cheap .223.

I then ordered a case of 1000 Prvi 5.56 from Target Sports USA. Just checked one and it indeed belongs on the bad brass list, being close to .015". Perfect!

Between the thick necks and trimming to 1.385" the lead ring issue should be solved, but I'll report back in a week or two.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Well, that seems to have solved the lead ring issue. I had hoped that solving the shaving issue would fix the fliers with the NOE 247, but it didn't. By flier I mean, for example, eight shots into 3/4" at 50, but two open the group to 1 1/2". Another challenge for another day.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Glad you got it figured out. 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout are interchangeable with jacketed bullets but with cast it can be problematic using 300 Blackout length brass in a 300 Whisper chamber.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!