Problems with Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

xdiver1

Re: Problems with Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel

Post by xdiver1 »

Talonxracer

I started out with 1680 and it functioned well but was loud and very dirty.

I was hoping for a load that was quiet and functioned well.

I hope I'm not expecting to much.

Xdiver1
'Borg
Silent But Deadly

Post by 'Borg »

Even if the BCG is coated, I would still put some lube on the BC, the cheaper way out?
After all, you said it's not broken in yet.
midwestoffroad

Post by midwestoffroad »

Just took my build out. I'm using the 11.3 with AAC 18t blackout flash hider and spikes bcg and spikes stt2 buffer only ran 10 rounds of 110 v-max and H110 powder. Ran like a dream. Kept it to that since only had the eotech on, my optic will be here just in time to mount and zero before this weekends deer opener.
daddyusmaximus

Post by daddyusmaximus »

Any updates on this build? I'm getting into the 300 blackout game, and my gunsmith just ordered this same barrel for my SBR.

jtamulis wrote:After talking withe a few gunsmiths, and doing a lot of research online I found the following answer:

The gas hole on the barrel is too small to run subs, unsurpressed with an M16 BCG.

Most people drill the gas port out to apparently 0.12 (but some get by with 0.08 and 0.09), so please don't go up unless you need to and only in very small increments, etc.

This is just information, please use it wisely. I'm not actually going to drill out my barrel, I'm going to wait until my surpressor is here, and it'll be on all the time anyway 8-).

Jeff
Is there a way to hear from some people who did this drill out and if it worked? I don't have a can yet, so for now I'll be sticking with super sonic rounds once I get my upper back.
You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

daddyusmaximus wrote:Any updates on this build? I'm getting into the 300 blackout game, and my gunsmith just ordered this same barrel for my SBR.
**EDITED**
Is there a way to hear from some people who did this drill out and if it worked? I don't have a can yet, so for now I'll be sticking with super sonic rounds once I get my upper back.
......one of the first responses/suggestions to the OP was from the Wilson folks, although I didn't see any subsequent posts indicating if the advice was used/followed.

FWIW, I'd recommend following the manufacturers recommendations first, and COMPLETELY in regards to "break-in", before undertaking other's recommendations based on their experiences with OTHER manufacturers products.....

Wilson's response to the OP :
WilsonCombatRep wrote:Usually to reliably shoot subs, unsuppressed you will need a well broken -and-well lubed bolt/carrier and possibly a light weight action spring.
Just use a standard carbine buffer. Might want to shoot some supersonic through it to break it in.

You will have more reliable function with a suppressor with subs. Thats for sure.

Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

WilsonCombatRep wrote:Usually to reliably shoot subs, unsuppressed you will need a well broken -and-well lubed bolt/carrier and possibly a light weight action spring.
Just use a standard carbine buffer. Might want to shoot some supersonic through it to break it in.

You will have more reliable function with a suppressor with subs. Thats for sure.

Had the exact problem with the exact same barrel the other day and it was exactly what I thought it was. I brought it up to the shop and they opened up the gas port.
You shouldn't send any more out without checking the port size. IMO
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

jtamulis wrote:Hiya Gang. So I have my AR pistol finished, and I went to go test fire it, and ran into some problems. FACTORY 220 Grain Remington subsonic.

Mega Billet upper, mega billet lower, rock river national match two stage trigger, palmetto state armory mil-spec buffer, mil spec buffer spring (not H, not H2, etc.)
Troy low profile gas block. BARREL: 11.3" Wilson combat 1x8 twist stainless, no flash hider.

I tried a new Nickle boron M16 BCG (instructions say no lube, so I didn't have any on it) First fire it went bang, and the shell pulled out about halfway, did not eject, kinda stuck 1/2way.
Then tried again, same thing. I had a little ring for the gas tube to push it out as if it was using a front handguard mount behind the gas block. I measured to see if the hole was lining up, and it looked like it would work better if it was without, so I removed the ring.

Tried two more rounds, same problem.
That barrel will run subs unsupressed no problem. I have two of them. Send it back and they will open the gas port and when you get it back put a h2 or t2 buffer in it. The lighter will work but the heavier is better
I then thought maybe my BCG, being an M16 version is too heavy, and grabbed a chrome BCG I had. Fire the first round, it fire, and ejected, but did not lock back on an empty chamber.
Tried again, fired and ejected, but still no lockback on empty chamber.

I have kept 5 of the 6 shots (lost one f&4# piece of brass), and I have 14 bullets left. I just want to prove it works on factory ammo before I start reloading, but as of now, no joy. I expect I'll get a suppressor, and I'll very likely keep the can on 24/7, but I'm not sure if there is anything I should do, or of so, what.

Should I try to drill out the gas hole, I believe I'm using the lightest spring, and lightest buffer. Any help would be good.

I plan on using this with a suppressor eventually, and will use:
125 gran in supersonic. (I have about 100 bullets themselves for reloading)
147 grain M80 pulldowns that I will load to functional for plinking (I have about 200 of these)
and 208 Grain subsonic (I have about 500 hornady bullets) I'll use these as my quiet rounds.

Ideas? help?

Jeff
That barrel will run subs unsupressed no problem. I have two of them. Send it back and they will open the gas port and when you get it back put a h2 or t2 buffer in it. The lighter will work but the heavier is better.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You guys do realize daddy resurrected a three year old thread :shock:

But yes .073" is a little small if you want to play with a lot of different powders and bullets without a suppressor.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

dellet wrote:You guys do realize daddy resurrected a three year old thread :shock:

But yes .073" is a little small if you want to play with a lot of different powders and bullets without a suppressor.
No I didn't realize that. But my problem was within the last two months. Funny thing is the one I bought as a complete upper ran perfect from day one with the same load that wouldn't run in the same barrel. Since they opened the port it runs fine now.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

dellet wrote:You guys do realize daddy resurrected a three year old thread :shock:

..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , uhhhh, I'm gonna claim it was my Alzheimer's kicking in and I'm sticking to that! :mrgreen: