Got the Recon Contour 16" Barrel - Excellent Product!

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

regroovable
Silent Operator

Got the Recon Contour 16" Barrel - Excellent Product!

Post by regroovable »

I got the barrel in yesterday, put her together last night and took her out for a quick sight-in and function test today.

Off the tailgate of my truck with a bipod, got a ragged 8 shot hole at 50 yards after sighting in with a light load of 17.5 grains of Alliant Power Pro MP-300 with Speer TNT 125's. Averaged on the Chrony about 1150 fps with a pretty wide variance. Subsonic 220 grain Matchkings with 11 grains of 1680 averaged in the 950 fps range.

Function was flawless with no trouble locking the bolt back. The thread work is very snug on my suppressor.

If you are looking for a quality barrel for a build, you won't be disappointed with the Wilson Combat Recon Contour 16" 300 AAC Barrel!

Looking forward to laddering some loads with H110, N110 and MP-300 to see what it can do with with some 125 grain bullets.
WilsonCombatRep
Silent Operator

Re: Got the Recon Contour 16" Barrel - Excellent Product!

Post by WilsonCombatRep »

Thanks so much! Can you post that review here? We will have some more of those barrels soon:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Comb ... R-300RC16/

Thanks for your feedback! We have worked hard to get some exceptional barrels out there are fair prices.
Wilson Combat Customer Support
www.wilsoncombat.com
regroovable
Silent Operator

Post by regroovable »

I will definitely post a review on here. It was too windy to test my loads, but had fun ringing steel targets out to 250 yards this weekend. I can tell the accuracy is there, but will gladly document what it does on a rest at 100 yards with a few pet loads.

Reno doesn't have any factory ammo available locally and I don't want to spend the shipping costs for just one box, but I have been keeping my eyes out.

Again, I appreciate Wilson Combat's attention to detail and their ability to put out a great product at a reasonable price!
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

We recently received the Wilson Combat 16" Recon URG for a 300BLK Review at Military Times. While we have NOT fired it yet and are waiting for all URGs to come in before we do the testing, the Wilson Combat Recon has the highest level of fit and finish we've seen on any 300BLK URG, and quite possibly of any upper receiver group I've tested or owned.

Granted, it takes more than just looking good to count, but its still worth noting.

Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
regroovable
Silent Operator

Post by regroovable »

First off, I will apologize that my crappy photos are following one from Stickman...

Now, despite 20 MPH wind gusts and intermittent snow, I went out for a little bit on Sunday with my new Wilson barrel build.

Groups were at 100 yards. I did a 10 shot group (18.2 average grains of N110 and a Hornady 110 V-Max Bullet) and the first seven were within .9" and then I got a moved group for the next 3 shots in a new area (see pic below). I am not sure if my scope moved the zero on me or my hold shifted somehow but the shift stayed in that vicinity for the next group, even after re-tightening the suppressor.

The loads were not hand-weighed and were done from a Lee auto disk powder measure and I noticed the N110 powder would vary on depth to case neck pretty consistently. The only string that was hand weighed was the five shot group using H110 powder with Speer 125 TNT's (pic below). This proved to be plenty accurate as I was worried that H110 would be less accurate than the Vihtavuori (about $14 difference/pound made me want a good load from H110 to come up).

My setup follows: Wilson Combat Recon Contour barrel, Yankee Hill Upper, Spikes BCG, DD Omega 7 handguard, HTG M-30A Suppressor, Harris Swivel Bipod, and an older (when U.S. made) Burris FFII 3-9 scope. The lower has JP trigger springs, but is a standard trigger with a pull weight of about 4.5 pounds and minor creep.

The Setup Just Prior to the Shoot:

First 5 Shot Group of the Day:

Ten Shot Group with last 3 Shots in a new group (Square was the point of aim):

Last group of the day - Hand-weighed load:

In summation, I am very pleased and realize that these groups aren't the 3 groups of 10 each, but this trip out was more about figuring out bullet/powder combos for this first run. My verdict is that it likes the cheaper Speer 125 grain TNT's just fine as well as H110 powder which means with my old range pickup .223/5.56 brass turned 300 AAC Blackout, the loads will be under $.26/round which is about what decent 7.62x39 124 gr. JHP run currently.

Next time I will bring some laddered Power Pro 300-MP loads vs. H110 with the Speer 125 gr TNT's and 110 gr V-Max bullets.

All groups that were 5 shots or under were under 1 inch. When I went 6-7 shots on one target, it would open up to under 1.2" with usually only one stray bullet opening the group up. And then there was the shift that was mentioned before. I do not attribute the barrel to this variance since it was about 35 degrees with consistent wind gusts and the barrel did not heat enough to move that far - it was only luke-warm to the touch even after several multiple shot strings. I will bring a spare scope out next time since the $200 Burris has been knocked around for almost 10 years on multiple rifles. It is likely that it was me or a crap load as the least accurate factor, but this was not initially setup to be a target/benchrest rifle, but rather a multipurpose hunting/defensive system that was originally only going to have open sights (after this, I may keep an optic on her).

Bottom line, this rifle shoots far, far better than is necessary for a moderate weight deer gun or defensive gun (the scope, bipod and suppressor might kick this up to heavy weight, but vs. my .260 Remington, this thing is a feather considering the removal of this stuff will be well under the 10 pound mark loaded). This is a testament to the quality of barrel based on my experiences with quite a few other builds.

It isn't -yet- pulling benchrest quality groups, but I feel with some load development (and more care and attention put into each load), I will have an inexpensive, consistently sub MOA rifle which is more than I can ask for considering the weight and sound characteristics of the platform.