Wilson Combat Barrel

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wilson Combat Barrel

Post by TMH260 »

Not sure I would lose much sleep on a lengthy breaking in process for your barrel. If it was a benchrest or match rifle maybe, but even then there is alot of debate on the benefits/methods of break in. There is also alot of debate on to brush or not to brush and what type of brush to use when it comes to cleaning barrels for accuracy competitions. But for a AR platform rifle the question becomes what are the goals for breaking the barrel in (polish the throat, clean up easier)?

If in doubt ask your barrel manufacturer what they recommend or visit the websites of respected barrel manufacturers for details. You can also check out http://www.6mmbr.com or http://www.accurateshooter.com for good info from the leaders in accuracy in the shooting sports and industry.

Of course some of the barrel manufacturers love the break in process, especially for hot calibers like the 6.5-284. With a caliber like that a 100 round break in period would use up about 15% of the barrels competition life which means more barrels sold! Luckily short barrel life is NOT an issue as at all with the 300 BLK.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

Been doing some reading on this.

Seems like with the match grade barrels (which Wilson is)...you really don't need to do any kind of "break in". it wasIt's already nice and shiny and smooth inside the bore.

My barrel arrived today and looked great.
Fit was super tight and installation was a breeze.

Still waiting for a thread protector to come in this week before I go out an test fire it.

Here's a pic of the finished rifle:

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
coryj

Post by coryj »

TMH260 wrote:How do you like the Midwest SS handguard? Have you had any issues with excessive heat?
I love the SS series handguards. I have the same handguard on my 5.56 and haven't had any problems with it.
PT-Partners

Post by PT-Partners »

Please excuse as I am new to this forum. Are you going to suppress the SBR and if so what flash hider and suppressor are you going to use.

Be Safe and Keep the Brass Flying

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.
coryj

Post by coryj »

My AR is going to be sporting a YHM 7.62 SS Phantom with the QD flash hider.
TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMH260 »

coryj wrote:
TMH260 wrote:How do you like the Midwest SS handguard? Have you had any issues with excessive heat?
I love the SS series handguards. I have the same handguard on my 5.56 and haven't had any problems with it.
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at this handguard for awhile and love MI products. Looking at all alternatives.