10.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sub-moa

10.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel issues

Post by Sub-moa »

I can't get my 10.5" Noveske 300BLK barrel to group better than 4" at 100 yards. Before you all start talking proper breathing and the million other factors it could be, let me start by saying I consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with another high end 10.5" 300BLK barrel. I have spent the last 6 months trying to develop a load that would shoot well out of this barrel and I have come up with nothing. I've used my tried and true OCW method as well as the ladder method. I've used every combination of W296/H110, Nosler 125BT and Speer 125 TNT you can think of as well as different primers. Does anyone have a pet load they would like to share? Obviously I'll work up to it (if I haven't already tried the exact same load.)

Please don't talk case prep. I've checked all my cases in both L.E Wilson and Sheridan case gauges.

All loaded on Forster dies using proper reloading practices.

I posted this here because I'm sure someone has a pet load for their Noveske barrel.

I have already talked to Tim at Noveske and they are willing to take a look at it so that's good on them.

It took damn near 10 minutes to convince this guy I knew what I was talking about. Still feel like he thinks I just don't know what I'm doing. All the while he says he doesn't reload himself. :roll:

I asked Tim what factory ammunition I should try that would yield good results. He didn't even have an answer for me. What kind of company can't tell me what ammunition works best for their rifles? How can you expect to build an accurate barrel if you don't even have a standard load/ammunition brand that you test your barrels against? He didn't have an answer for me.

I don't mean to flame Noveske but my experience has been mediocre at best.

edit* The Tim I was talking to hear is not Tim Dillon (the President of Noveske.)
Last edited by Sub-moa on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sub-moa

Re: 10.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel issues

Post by Sub-moa »

Quick update: Noveske emailed me with what bullets work best for them. Problem is they are just bullets, not actual loads. I am going to send them my rifle with some of my loads to see if they can figure out what is going on.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Let us know what you find out.

I have a 10.5" mish-mash parts gun that I assembled, and I'm getting 1/2" 5-shot groups at 25yds (with most of the bullets touching), which should translate into 2" or slightly better at 100. I've got optics and trigger optimized for fast and close shooting, not long range, too, so I agree you should be getting ~1" groups.

What optic and trigger are you using?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Did you double check the rings and optic and all? Sorry for the stupid question.
Sub-moa

Post by Sub-moa »

It's all good. Yes I have. I took the same scope and put it on my other 10" 300blk upper and shot very tight groups. So it doesn't involve the optic.

Barrel is not overly copper/carbon fouled either.
jbullet

Post by jbullet »

Any update from Noveske on this?

I was thinking of moving to their barrel from my AAC 9" upper. I would like to see consistent group size (5 shot) of 1 - 1.5" but I can only manage about 1.5 - 3" with super sonics. This is with various bullets 125g SMK, 110g Barnes TAC-TX, 110g Lehigh Controlled Chaos and various powders H110, Lil'Gun, AA#9, IMR 4227. Brenchrested with sled, good optics, good mount, etc...

Anyone do testing with AAC 9" or Noveske 8.X or 10.X" uppers? What was your MOA?

Thanks!
Sub-moa

Post by Sub-moa »

Update*

I ended up sending the complete upper receiver to Noveske along with some of my hand loads. They still have it and are doing some testing on it. I really hope I had a defective barrel.

As of now, I'm still shooting a SS Ballistic Advantage barrel in the same length with great results.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

I'm getting just under 1" groups from my 8.2" Noveske barrel with 110 Vmax. Load is
parameter value
Powder H110 19gr
pojectile 110gr Vmax
primer CCI 400
case
length 2.040"
crimp light

Also just over 1" with TacTx (i set the bullet a little deeper to see if that would push it to 1moa. havent fired those yet):
Powder H110 20.0gr
pojectile 110gr Tac-Tx
primer CCI 400
case
length 2.24"
crimp light

Cant get LeHigh or 125SMK tighter than a couple inches at 100, meh. Giving up on the LeHigh for accuracy, but I'll keep working on the SMKs.

Not sure if that helps at all since the barrels are different lengths, but its something. Good luck!
din
Silent Operator

Post by din »

Sub-moa wrote:Update*

I ended up sending the complete upper receiver to Noveske along with some of my hand loads. They still have it and are doing some testing on it. I really hope I had a defective barrel.

As of now, I'm still shooting a SS Ballistic Advantage barrel in the same length with great results.
Any word?
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

Sub-moa wrote:Update*

You answered you own question :mrgreen: dump the Noveske and stick with the BA. :lol: