stainless pistol length vs chrome lined carbine length barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dr Fumbles
Silent Operator

stainless pistol length vs chrome lined carbine length barrel

Post by Dr Fumbles »

Hi, I'm new here and building my first 300 blk.
Why do the stainless barrels and chrome-lined 16" barrels from Noveske have different gas system length (pistol and carbine, respectively)?

http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/ ... out-barrel
http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/ ... o-pro-5-56

Thanks
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Re: stainless pistol length vs chrome lined carbine length barrel

Post by ScottB70 »

I can't tell you why, but I can say that pistol gas really works well for the 300. Better than carbine, if you're trying to reload some subsonic rounds. If it were me, I would go for pistol gas stainless.
Dr Fumbles
Silent Operator

Post by Dr Fumbles »

I only reload 40s&w, but as soon as I get a gun to test loads on; I will start to reload for 300blk. Does it over-gas any when you run super's?
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

No, there aren't any overgassing issues with 300BLK that sometimes cause problems in the 5.56. For the powders we tend to use, pistol gas will help you fine tune your sub loads. For supers, I have a carbine length 16" barrel that works great. Pistol gas may save you some headaches in the future for your subs. If I were to do it again, I would get pistol gas for my 16" barrel.

Whoever owns Noveske (John I think it is?) once said that he doesn't make adjustable gas blocks for his 300blk barrels because there are no overgassing issues with the caliber.
Dr Fumbles
Silent Operator

Post by Dr Fumbles »

I did some more research and came up with what I think is the answer.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=82944&start=25

Their chrome lined barrels are designed after the M249 barrel. It is suppose to be a lead hose (fast and hot), but not too fast (~950 rpm). A pistol length would put dirtier gas into the chamber. Extraction becomes difficult in dirty hot chambers with sustained chamber pressure. The carbine gas system lets the pressure decrease, gets the gas cleaner (@ ~5 inches the powder isn't going to be 100% burned) and decreases the time of gas pressure acting on the bolt. Which are all more of issues slow burn powder used for the high velocity rounds. There should be less heat loss to the barrel in full auto, since it is already hot which means more gas pressure and volume will be generated per shot (P.V.T. gas laws).
The downside to using a carbine length system is cycling subsonics without a suppressor. If you have the money to run full-auto, then you have money to burn and could buy two uppers.

I'd like to hear what reasons you see.

I want to shoot suppressed subsonics and non-suppressed supers from a 16" barrel with a enough gas to cycle both. I think a stainless barrel with a pistol length system would work fine. I would still prefer a light barrel contour.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

Dr Fumbles wrote: I want to shoot suppressed subsonics and non-suppressed supers from a 16" barrel with a enough gas to cycle both. I think a stainless barrel with a pistol length system would work fine. I would still prefer a light barrel contour.
I think that you're making the best choice. I didn't want to tell you to buy one or the other, but that's the one that I would buy. I think you'll be the happiest with that one unless you're trying to build a machine gun :lol:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

With the proper configuration you can make a carbine length work just fine. mine runs subsonic unsuppressed, but only with a limited range of powders. with a pistol length gas system you have a larger number of powders available to use, and has been already mentioned no need to worry about over gassing in the 300blk
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in