barrel nut question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Scotty777

barrel nut question

Post by Scotty777 »

I have a cmmg 16" wasp upper that I really like...for the most part. I am using this rifle primarily for hunting and plinking and I dislike the quad rail that it came with. I purchased a thinner and lighter front hand guard to replace the quad. Installation requires removal and replacement of the barrel nut. I cannot get that sucker to break free! Would a light application of torch be OK? I don't want to jack up the upper trying to break this thing loose. Suggestions are very welcome!
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Re: barrel nut question

Post by HotHolster »

I have heard of a few cases where the nut was heated but I personally wouldn't do it. I have seen photos of uppers cracking from the attempts to break the nut free they were on so tight. If you have the proper tool and equipment and you can't loosen it, I would either find someone local to loosen the nut or send it back to CMMG and have them do it.

One more thing, if it was factory built, call CMMG and ask if anything like loctite was put on the threads and ask their advice to remove it.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Scotty777 wrote:I have a cmmg 16" wasp upper that I really like...for the most part. I am using this rifle primarily for hunting and plinking and I dislike the quad rail that it came with. I purchased a thinner and lighter front hand guard to replace the quad. Installation requires removal and replacement of the barrel nut. I cannot get that sucker to break free! Would a light application of torch be OK? I don't want to jack up the upper trying to break this thing loose. Suggestions are very welcome!

Hey Scotty777,

If you're anywhere near s/e Michigan, the gun shop where I work can likely help. Let me know and if you're close I'll send directions. We have a good vice, plenty of tools and a whiz-bang AR guy on staff.
Scotty777

Post by Scotty777 »

Thank you for the speedy replies. I will contact CMMG and see if they use any thread locker w/ assembly.

BlogSarge - I live in the Lansing area so I could make a trip your way. It would be after Rifle season as I am heading back up North this weekend with a couple of my older boys to see if we can put some meat in the freezer. That weather last weekend didn't help me take the virginity off from this 300! If you could PM me your address and hours etc, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Scotty777 wrote:Thank you for the speedy replies. I will contact CMMG and see if they use any thread locker w/ assembly.

BlogSarge - I live in the Lansing area so I could make a trip your way. It would be after Rifle season as I am heading back up North this weekend with a couple of my older boys to see if we can put some meat in the freezer. That weather last weekend didn't help me take the virginity off from this 300! If you could PM me your address and hours etc, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

...incoming!
Enfoto

barrel nut question

Post by Enfoto »

Im needing to buy or borrow the proper tool for removing a JP Barrel nut. The regular AR tool that I have isnt quite the right one for this job. Thanks in advance for your help.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

If the nut was put on with Loctire, you can use a heat gun to heat it and it may break loose. Just don't get it super hot. I would also use a reaction rod. There are several versions out there with Gisselle probably being the best with not that much difference in price. I think I bought mine at Brownells for $89.
With clean threads, a small amount of lithium grease, I see no reason to ever use Loctite on a barrel nut. Torque to 35# and call it good. Tighten and back off two times and stop on the third time.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel