Baffle strikes on a new Cmmg blk upper

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MDM

Baffle strikes on a new Cmmg blk upper

Post by MDM »

Yep. My buddy just shot his blk upper he got from Midway. Shot it suppressed for the first time and got baffle strikes. Worst part is its a monocore and the last baffle is deformed. Just thought it would pass this on. Why sell a blk upper and thread it if the bore or threads aren't concentric and trash a $1100 suppressor. The round is meant to be suppressed. BS
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Baffle strikes on a new Cmmg blk upper

Post by eastern_hunter »

Can you tell us the barrel length of the upper and the caliber of the can?
Doc68
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doc68 »

MDM wrote:Yep. My buddy just shot his blk upper he got from Midway. Shot it suppressed for the first time and got baffle strikes. Worst part is its a monocore and the last baffle is deformed. Just thought it would pass this on. Why sell a blk upper and thread it if the bore or threads aren't concentric and trash a $1100 suppressor. The round is meant to be suppressed. BS

Were they handloads. If so were they tested for stability before shot through said supressor?

Doc
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Wow... resurrecting a old thread that also has an extended duplicate.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=84551
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

You never ever simply screw on a can to a new barrel and start shooting. A very simple check with a cleaning rod would have shown the issue before a shot was fired and tore up the baffle and if it was reloads you never try them with the can on before verifying they are stable. Also a very simple internet search would have brought up links to previous issues with CMMG barrels having non-concentric threads. The owner of the rifle and can has no one to blame but him self!
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I always check a bullet for keyholing before I screw the can on It dont matter who the manufacture is 5 minutes of my time is pretty cheap compared to the cost of a can. I will be that guy and say I have shot a variety of 300 blackout sub-sonic and super-sonic through my 8.5 inch cmmg and never had an issue .Not to say they didnt have problems but then again who would of thought remington would have to recall hundres of thousands of rifles because of a fubared trigger . never trust blind luck when it comes to mechanical things .