12" CMMG barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rem_pss308

12" CMMG barrel

Post by rem_pss308 »

Well I figured I would comment on my experiance with CMMG....

Ordered the 12" Midlength barrel with pistol gas tube from them.
Had to wait a good while before it came in. about 2 months. But it was pre ordered before production.
No worries I knew it would be a wait. ( everything has a wait time right now)

Installed it on my pistol lower. and shot it with 125 gr , and 220 gr. factory loads.

At first it would not lock the bolt back with the subs. but would lock the bolt back with the supersonics.
Accuracy was very good. Close to an inch at 100 yards. ( my .223 doesnt do that )

I contacted CMMG about the bolt not locking back and they advised that they could not get the bolt to lock back with remington 220 grain subs. and that was what I had. so No worries I was going to use suppressor with the subs.

I was playing with it one day and wondered. if maybe the gas block wasnt aligning with the gas hole in the barrel good enough. I got my dial indicator out and did some measuring and I came up seeing that the gas block didnt need to be all the way up against the lip of the barrel to be centered. I put it where I thought it would align up better. tightened the screws and tested it.

It now locks the bolt back with remington 220 gr subsonicks. I locktighted the screws and have been very happy with the CMMG barrel ever since.
" Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless when facing them"
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Re: 12" CMMG barrel

Post by nolwark76 »

Thanks for sharing. I have a 16" cmmg upper and have never had any problems. My cousin just got a complete cmmg rifle and it runs flawlessly. They are a great company so I'm glad you got your barrel to work. I'm curious as to your barrel length choice.

It's all personal preference, but did you make your choice on looks or performance? I haven't seen the numbers so I'm not ripping on your choice. What are the velocities for your 12" vs. a 16" or the 8.5"? I agree the 12" has a good look to it.
rem_pss308

Re: 12" CMMG barrel

Post by rem_pss308 »

I chose the 12" because of how it feels, and I wanted a shortbarreled rifle. the ballistics are good.
Im getting 2250 with 110gr Hornady v-max and it shoots about an inch group at 100 yards.
and my subs cycle with or without the suppressor ( thanks to the pistol gas tube )
" Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless when facing them"