Removing Rockset 51T Blackout flash hider?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chedr
Silent But Deadly

Re: Removing Rockset 51T Blackout flash hider?

Post by Chedr »

RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

WalterGA wrote:I'm using thread-on suppressors. However, if I decide to go with the quick-release/flash hider route in the future, would either 642 (sleeve retainer) or 271 Loctite work, in lieu of Rockset? Either could be removed with heat.
Which is why you use Rockset on a barrel.
milspec

Post by milspec »

Soak in hot water from a tea kettle for 20-30 min. The AAC tool is an absolute must. The water sometimes helps and other times it does not. Typically the Rocksett will break when adequate torque is applied.

Hopefully, you didn't slobber it with too much Rocksett when you put it on like my son using Elmer's Glue.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I doubt AAC has measured the torque it breaks at.

Probably some where between son of a B...and Mother F....

:mrgreen:
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

A-Game wrote:I doubt AAC has measured the torque it breaks at.

Probably some where between son of a B...and Mother F....

:mrgreen:
amazing! i broke loose a bolt on a ladder rail the other day that was set to the same torque setting! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

I'm going to sell this barrel set, but still have to remove the damn 51T just to get the barrel nut off. So, is there anyone out there with a AAC tool I can borrow to get this job done? I really don't want to buy a tool to remove a flash hider that I'm about to get rid of. I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways.

Sad thing is, I can't even install my new short barrel until I get this barrel off the receiver, which won't happen until the 51T comes off. Grrr.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

Problem solved. I bit the bullet and purchased the reaction rod AND the blackout tool. I had already soaked the thing in water for 48 hours and still wouldn't budge even in the new barrel vice I purchased for this task. After putting the rod in the vice and pulling out my 2' cheater pipe, it took three seconds of effort for the flash hider to finally break loose. And I do mean BREAK! It was loud. My wife, who was helping hold the barrel steady on the end of the reaction rod, jumped and shouted when the thing finally let go. I sounded like a piece of metal breaking. But the flash hider came right off and the barrel is as good as new, well, almost. There is a tiny bit of discoloration around the end of the barrel from sitting in water for 2 days, but it's not rust. It might actually be from where I tried heating the flash hider with a torch. I didn't let anything get really hot, but maybe just enough to discolor a bit.

Not sure if it's really even worth trying to sell this barrel. Might just save onto it for later.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

I stopped before reaching the 45-55 ft-lb that they call for on 5/8-24 threads. I didn't have a reaction rod, and it felt like I was going to break something if I applied any more torque.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Lots of conflicting info regarding torque amount for muzzle devices. I'm really surprised AAC actually has varying amounts according to thread pitch.
Silencerco simply says 20-30 ft-lbs for all their products, regardless of caliber and threads.

I'm inclined to agree with Silco since all you're basically doing is establishing a firm seating onto the barrel shoulder. I highly doubt 5/8x24 needs 2x the torque.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Ok guys, I meaning (my friend who is a master gunsmith) removed my flash hider tonight with the flash hider removal tool, a ratchet, and a breaker bar.

He mentioned before we started that this was the test of a quality barrel. :lol:

He put the upper in a vice block and cranked once, twice longer on it until....CRACK...

The loud crack is the rocksett coming loose.

The barrel will flex (they will if they are heat treated correctly)

You gotta put your big boy pants on because rocksett feels like a few hundred (or more) pounds of torque.

So when I put the new muzzle device on we didn't use rocksett.
Last edited by A-Game on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk