JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring Do it or dont do it?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring Do it or dont do it?

Post by svh »

Cha-Ching ... Cha-Ching !!! Hope the big $$ are worth it. Most say it is, but if not, it's not the most frivolous money I've ever spent. :oops:

At least the wifey won't see it, cause it's inside that "tube thingy". :roll:
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
Gastone165
Silent Operator

Post by Gastone165 »

I've got a 9" MPW pistol and a 16" MPW carbine and am considering the silent capture spring to try out with the pistol. If I'm happy with it, I may get another one for the carbine. For ammo I shoot blacktips and SMK's through both with an AAC SDN-6 on them most of the time. Currently both weapons work flawlessly with anything I feed them with the suppressor on or off. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money to get a little more silent operation and risk the reliability I currently enjoy. Anyone with a stock 9" MPW pistol or a 16" carbine that shoots similar ammo with and without a can have any advice on spring color or any other thoughts?
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

I run the SCS in my stock 9" MPW with subs, not supers...standard weight spring...love it...zero issues...
The only SBR i have with different spring for the SCS is my 6.5", where i went with the lighter WHITE spring (idea was with less dwell time, i may need less resistance with spring for function), but i haven't tested it yet...working 7 days a week to pay for toys (like a new SilencerCo Osprey 45) while weather is good...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I have one. The downside is that it adds a few oz. over the spring and buffer.
The benefits are all good. Considering the barrels come with a flash hider that weighs over 4 oz. you probably don't care about the weight.

I will put one on my next build.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Gastone165
Silent Operator

Post by Gastone165 »

The MPW's are a bit on the heavier side. But to come out of the box and consistently work as well as they do it's worth the extra little bit of weight.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

It is a great product for those who despise the "sprong" grating sound, makes the action far quieter. run it as provided with the standard spring.

Now if you want to you can take it even further and create a super smooth rifle, you will need to narrow the performance envelope for a particular load with the tuning springs, low mass carrier, a adjustable gas block.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Gastone165 wrote:The MPW's are a bit on the heavier side. But to come out of the box and consistently work as well as they do it's worth the extra little bit of weight.

The MPW 16" weighs 6 3/4 lbs. I don't think that's heavy at all. What will really add weight are your accessories.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
chip12345

Post by chip12345 »

I love the silent spring setups, I run the heavy with the 12.5" setup and that has always worked great and seemed to match the H2 manuf reco.

I bought the standard weight to run with the AAC 16" upper, but it would not lock back consistently with either supers or subs. JP recommended trying the Heavy and that was the trick for me. I just completed testing across multiple types of supers and subs and all are working perfectly with the AAC 16" upper, SDN-6 with the subs using the following loads:

Supers:
135gr SMK over 18grs of H110
150gr Hornady FMJBT over 15.0grs of Lil Gun
Remington UMC Factory 120gr Supersonic

Subs:
Gemtech 187gr
Hornady 208gr AMAX
Remington UMC 220gr. (yeah, these are mostly supersonic through the 16")
Reloads with the 220gr SMK over 10.9grs of A1680. (specifically this charge weight to stay subsonic with the 16" bbl).
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

Gastone165 wrote:I've got a 9" MPW pistol and a 16" MPW carbine and am considering the silent capture spring to try out with the pistol. If I'm happy with it, I may get another one for the carbine. For ammo I shoot blacktips and SMK's through both with an AAC SDN-6 on them most of the time. Currently both weapons work flawlessly with anything I feed them with the suppressor on or off. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money to get a little more silent operation and risk the reliability I currently enjoy. Anyone with a stock 9" MPW pistol or a 16" carbine that shoots similar ammo with and without a can have any advice on spring color or any other thoughts?
I REALLY like the JPS in my 8" SBR. It is much smoother and quieter plus, I definitely think it has helped me with not having an issue cycling subs. Between the JPS, the correct size pistol gas port, and a Nitride coated BCG, I have no issues at all. I leave the can on full time and I shoot supers through it just as well. I must have hit the magic combination because I didn't have to get any additional springs or change the weight from the stock shipped JPS. Will I put one in my 5.56 or 6.8 carbines? No but then again, they are both a LOT louder and have a whole lot more energy as they are only shot with supersonic loads.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
vetman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by vetman »

If you buy the regular version, but need the heavier version can you easily just add more weight to the standard version or do you have to buy a brand new heavy setup?

How much is the upgrade if you can just buy the heavier weights?

Is the heavier spring quieter than the standard spring?

I am shooting 300 Blackout in a 16" AAC MPW and a 16" LMT. I shoot both subsonic and and supers mostly with a suppressor. I also plan on getting a 9" AAC upper as well.