Thinking of buying a 16" MPW

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RickLafayette

Thinking of buying a 16" MPW

Post by RickLafayette »

...but I don't like the KAC rail system. To remove it I would have to buy a KAC proprietary nut wrench. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $1,700 purchase (tax incl) when I'm going to spend maybe $100+ on a tool and remove a $300 part that I don't want/need. I really like everything else on this gun. Any thoughts?
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of buying a 16" MPW

Post by 300Blk »

There is a tool on eBay that costs less.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131221693626?_mwBanner=1

I do NOT own this item, nor have i personally used it...just saying...but if you remove that KAC rail, be careful and keep it in good shape and im guessing you can sell it in CLASSIFIEDS for enough to cover your choice of rail, if not take a chunk out of the expense...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

Send it to a KAC armorer for removal. Boltcarrier.com can do it, for sure. I'd be willing to there are others. If the rail is installed correctly, then you will also need heat (it's installed with blue loctite) and, ideally, the KAC upper receiver holding fixture to remove it. You're best bet (and cheapest) would be to send it out.

Out of curiosity, what issues do you have with the URX system? I have one of the 13.5" URX 3.1 rails and do really like it.
RickLafayette

Post by RickLafayette »

BC98 wrote:Out of curiosity, what issues do you have with the URX system? I have one of the 13.5" URX 3.1 rails and do really like it.
First of all, just the fact that i can't disassemble the upper like I can 95% of AR's. Also, aesthetics. I don't like the look and feel of quad style forearms. My main preference is a narrower handguard like the MI Gen 2 SS series which I have on my .223. I don't put a lot of hardware on my handguards. Just a bipod stud in front and some panels for the heat.

I know the KAC is a good quality product. I just don't like the hassle you have to go through to get it mounted and removed.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

RickLafayette wrote:
I know the KAC is a good quality product. I just don't like the hassle you have to go through to get it mounted and removed.
I used to feel the same way, but their new URX 4 is absolutely AWESOME. Slim, keymod, EASY to install.....and comes with the wrench included.

RickLafayette

Post by RickLafayette »

That is a nicer rail and mounting system. Unfortunately, the MPW doesn't come with that one.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

RickLafayette wrote:That is a nicer rail and mounting system. Unfortunately, the MPW doesn't come with that one.
Well that is quite obvious......but it can be replaced. I took the URX 3 off of BOTH my 9" AAC uppers and replaced them with the URX 4. I liked it so much I put the same rail on my 9.5" 5.56 upper as well. A little effort might be involved, but you can get what you want.

By the way....I sold both my URX rails for ~$220 and the URX 4 is available for about $265.....so not that expensive to upgrade.

BETTER YET.....take advantage of the $299 barrel that is available here.....$299

http://www.bullseyeindoorrange.com/AAC- ... p_259.html

Then order the rail from here...... $260

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/upper-r ... stems.html

Get a BLEM M4 upper from BCM ........ $75

BCG from AAC.......$200

Best charge handle Rainier Raptor from Primary Arms (on sale now).....$69

$903......Complete upper that is cheaper than buying a new one.....and comes with all the upgrades you could want and NO special URX tools required.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

viewtopic.php?f=160&t=90130

Handgaurd removal service.

I have a 16" MPW I have seriously considered swapping the handgaurd. Seriously Buy online and pay 1100-1200 and do a ffl transfer for 20.00ish. Welcome to the 1st century.
grabagun.com budsguns ect...1700 is robbery. You can sell the hand guard. LOTS of people love KAC products.

Best barrel that will just work every time you pull the trigger. No whining about your franken gun not working.

Buy it and don't look back. you won't regret it.

Subs, supers, suppressed, unsuppressed. You will never wonder if it is going to malfunction or not.

BTW BCM is an insanely light magnesium aluminum alloy if you want keymod.

The KAC rail is 13.5 oz and it has a full top rail and multiple picatanny sections. It is fantasticly functional.. And AAC customer service is great.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk