Will my 762 SD suppressor make a .22LR quiet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Superfld
Silent Operator

Will my 762 SD suppressor make a .22LR quiet?

Post by Superfld »

My 762 SD fits on my .223 thank to a QD muzzle accessory. My .223 is pretty quiet with it. I am thinking of buying a CMMG .22LR conversion kit for my .223. Has anyone tried shooting .22LR in a .223 platform with a 762mm suppressor? Specifically, I want to know if .22LR is super quiet. No lectures on .22LR please. It is a good round for certain apps. Oh and "Silent But Deadly", I have a hunch you will advise on this. Please opine on this issue.

Thanks!

Superfld
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Will my 762 SD suppressor make a .22LR quiet?

Post by smustian »

A 30 cal can will take some of the loudness out but not as well as a 223 can due to the hole bore size. So yes it will quiet it down some but will not make it Hollywood quiet.
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

Do not do it!!! under any circumstance. you will lead out and ruin your can only use user serviceable 22 can with 22LR.!!!!
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

You're gonna load that can up with lead if you do that.

A .308 suppressor works fine on a .223. And .22 LR is so quiet to start that it'll probably work okay for that too. BUT 22LR is filthy ammo, and the suppressors fill with lead dust after awhile. Rimfire cans are made to take apart for cleaning, and it's sort of a drag to do it. Most centerfire cans are not user serviceable, so you'd be making a very expensive paperweight.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

kamoto wrote:Do not do it!!! under any circumstance. you will lead out and ruin your can only use user serviceable 22 can with 22LR.!!!!
DutchV wrote:You're gonna load that can up with lead if you do that.

A .308 suppressor works fine on a .223. And .22 LR is so quiet to start that it'll probably work okay for that too. BUT 22LR is filthy ammo, and the suppressors fill with lead dust after awhile. Rimfire cans are made to take apart for cleaning, and it's sort of a drag to do it. Most centerfire cans are not user serviceable, so you'd be making a very expensive paperweight.
Do plated bullets not work in 22LR suppressors to prevent leading?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

dellet wrote:
kamoto wrote:Do not do it!!! under any circumstance. you will lead out and ruin your can only use user serviceable 22 can with 22LR.!!!!

There are 22lr rounds that are specifically made to reduce the leading. In general, though, the plating is very thin, and I'd be surprised if the plating covered the back end of the round, which is what is 'vaporized' and leads to the leading.

It doesn't take many rounds (a brick or two) to see a very noticable buildup inside a can, even with plated ammo.

Usually, a 22lr can is the gateway drug to other suppressors, not the other way around.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Sithlord wrote:
dellet wrote:

There are 22lr rounds that are specifically made to reduce the leading. In general, though, the plating is very thin, and I'd be surprised if the plating covered the back end of the round, which is what is 'vaporized' and leads to the leading.

It doesn't take many rounds (a brick or two) to see a very noticable buildup inside a can, even with plated ammo.

Usually, a 22lr can is the gateway drug to other suppressors, not the other way around.
I'll have to pull a couple apart just to see. Lately the suppressor has been seeing a lot of the Federal suppressor 22LR. I'm told it runs pretty clean.

I have used a Sparrow, it's in the trust, so is my fatherinlaw. I named him a trustee when it was written, even tho he wanted no part in it or NFA items. He came over the first/last time I ever shot a round through it. 8)

I see him all the time, the Sparrow....... :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I have seen a lot of 55GR and 62GR bullets that have exposed lead bases and I have never seen anyone say not to shoot military ammo in a silencer.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Superfld
Silent Operator

Post by Superfld »

Wow, really? I am glad I posted. SBD, the consensus here is not to shoot 22lr. I had no idea it could hurt the suppressor. I was only wandering about the noise.

Thanks all....
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I think a lot of people talking about leading up a can just spout off what they have heard on the internet.

My first form 1 was made with valve retainers. I have shot literally 10,000 rounds of various bullets from 22lr to 223, 7.62x39, 9mm (full auto and semi) 38 specials (yes, lead wadcutters) 357's (yes, some wadcutters some jacketed) and other bullets and calibers through it too. jacketed and powder coat 300 subs.

6.8spcII 120 gr sst comes to mind too, but the point of my reply is this:

A bore scope I ran through it a year ago. The can was built in '05.

Here is the blast baffle.

Before:

Present day:

When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.