suppressor size to Db suppression ratio for minimal added length

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

[email protected]

suppressor size to Db suppression ratio for minimal added length

Post by [email protected] »

What is the best size to sound suppression ratio you have found in a suppressor. I would like to add minimal length to an 8 inch barrel but still have the Db around 130 or for subsonics.

Also,In a Diy setting if you recessed the blast chamber so it is primarily behind the muzzle, how far from the muzzle should you place the diffuser/blast baffle since it doesn't lose total volume for the expansion chamber but the chamber is just relocated? It would have to be able to handle both subsonic and super sonic pressures....
BillJ
Silent Operator

Re: suppressor size to Db suppression ratio for minimal added length

Post by BillJ »

What you are describing is called an OTB (over the barrel) aka, reflex suppressor.
I can't comment on their effectiveness.

form1suppressor.boards.net
would be a good place to go do some research and ask questions.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

The idea, or use of reflex suppressors has been relatively small in the USA, and is just recently starting to catch on more.

However, they have been using them in Brittain and Europe for a very long time, but you'll have to google reflex moderators or reflex sound moderators to get more information about how they do it because they don't call them silencers.

As for your other questions, there are just too many variables to nail down specifics for your questions. Not to sound condescending, but you just need to do as much research as you can before nailing down a design.

If you're going with an over the barrel design, you may also want to consider porting the barrel and making it a hybrid integral/reflex. I'm 99% certain that's what I'm going to do with my pending paperwork.

Instead of considering how far past the muzzle to put the expansion chamber baffle, I'm going to use a side ported muzzlebrake, similar to this to help fill the reflex portion of the can:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/MK13-S ... p_618.html
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Over barrel suppressors are as common as mud in NZ

The advantage you get is capacity without length and Iit keeps weight back further on the gun.And average can would 2/3 s back and a 1/3 forward of muzzle but you can take it right back to the breach if you wanted in a bolt gun. I prefer these types to muzzle forward.
I personally think that building a suppressor out of moon rocks and hard metals so the last forever is overkill for civilians. A good quality alloy tube and components is all I require but for lifetime durability use stainless for an internal muzzle brake.
The secret to a good over barrel is to get as much of the gas back into the chamber and hold its exit as long as you can so a internal muzzle brake is a must. You would need a lot of forward set baffles if you get the break correct because your gas speed and expansion with have been taken care of.

I can lead you to some sites with Nz built suppressors to give you done ideas if you want.
Cmwiggen

Post by Cmwiggen »

Not meaning to hijack a thread but I would be interested in seeing some links to see how it is typically done in NZ.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

Cmwiggen wrote:Not meaning to hijack a thread but I would be interested in seeing some links to see how it is typically done in NZ.
I second this request.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

thisguysguns wrote:
Cmwiggen wrote:Not meaning to hijack a thread but I would be interested in seeing some links to see how it is typically done in NZ.
I second this request.
Ok give me a bit I'll grab some photos from my mates gun shop
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Sorry ran out of time in town.
I'll throw up some links for to drool over in a new post.
riude

Post by riude »

You should check these:
http://www.aseutra.fi/index-en

They produce maybe best silencers in the world, really. They have developed them for decades.

Other http://jaki.fi/en
I personally use Jaki Sniper, because it´s most quiet silencer (available here) in all test.

My choice for "over the barrel" silencer would be Jaki Semi Classic.

As far as I know, silencer technology (at least civil sales) has been developed and used much longer in Europe than US?
Funny thing, we have very strict laws about owning guns, but silencers have been free of of any bureaucracy.

Btw, sound measuring is quite complicated process. If you want comparable and consistent results. I´m very doubtful about manufacturers own tests.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

riude wrote:You should check these:
http://www.aseutra.fi/index-en

They produce maybe best silencers in the world, really. They have developed them for decades.

Other http://jaki.fi/en
I personally use Jaki Sniper, because it´s most quiet silencer (available here) in all test.

My choice for "over the barrel" silencer would be Jaki Semi Classic.

As far as I know, silencer technology (at least civil sales) has been developed and used much longer in Europe than US?
Funny thing, we have very strict laws about owning guns, but silencers have been free of of any bureaucracy.

Btw, sound measuring is quite complicated process. If you want comparable and consistent results. I´m very doubtful about manufacturers own tests.

I've seen those ASE suppressors here.....might be stretching it a bit with best in the world with the weight of
them alone. When they get away from stainless steel and use composite materials and cutting edge alloys thats when I'll start getting excited.
3d printed titanium. ..now thats a world leading design.
Carbon fiber and Duralum for getting weight below 200grams for hunting rifles.