Set me straight!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gunfan2
Silent Operator

Set me straight!

Post by gunfan2 »

I just purchased a SiCo Hybrid to use on my 300 Blackout, it is not user serviceable. If if shoot cast powder coated bullets through it will it lead up the suppressor. I also have a SBR 9 and 45, will cast powder coated bullets lead it up. Can hasn't came in yet, can change my mind!
Photoguy67

Re: Set me straight!

Post by Photoguy67 »

I have no first hand knowledge in this, but I have been reading on it and everyone has stated that power coated cast bullets will NOT lead a silencer.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Can't speak for powder coating because I've never tried it but have been shooting Leatherheads cast bullets with great success. They coat theirs with something called Hi-Tek. So far in the past two weeks I shot about 150 or so through my SBR with an AAC SDN-6 can and have found zero signs of leading in the barrel or can. I even put a few dozen through my Octane 45 can so I could take it apart and inspect it. No signs of leading at all.
gunfan2
Silent Operator

Post by gunfan2 »

TMD wrote:Can't speak for powder coating because I've never tried it but have been shooting Leatherheads cast bullets with great success. They coat theirs with something called Hi-Tek. So far in the past two weeks I shot about 150 or so through my SBR with an AAC SDN-6 can and have found zero signs of leading in the barrel or can. I even put a few dozen through my Octane 45 can so I could take it apart and inspect it. No signs of leading at all.
Do you think the SiCo Hybrid will then be a good choice for shooting coated bullets, although it is incapable of being taken apart! By the way have shot several hundred through my SBR powder coated with absolutely no signs of leading. Very accurate (in 9mm)!
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

gunfan2 wrote:
TMD wrote:Can't speak for powder coating because I've never tried it but have been shooting Leatherheads cast bullets with great success. They coat theirs with something called Hi-Tek. So far in the past two weeks I shot about 150 or so through my SBR with an AAC SDN-6 can and have found zero signs of leading in the barrel or can. I even put a few dozen through my Octane 45 can so I could take it apart and inspect it. No signs of leading at all.
Do you think the SiCo Hybrid will then be a good choice for shooting coated bullets, although it is incapable of being taken apart! By the way have shot several hundred through my SBR powder coated with absolutely no signs of leading. Very accurate (in 9mm)!
The SDN-6 is a sealed can as well so I don't see how it would be any different in another brand can.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

in a perfect world powder coating should not cause leading issues. I have not had an issue with leading since I started powder coating. That does not mean that an improper application of the powder coat may still cause leading.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gunfan2
Silent Operator

Post by gunfan2 »

gds wrote:in a perfect world powder coating should not cause leading issues. I have not had an issue with leading since I started powder coating. That does not mean that an improper application of the powder coat may still cause leading.
do you then think that possibly a suppressor that is capable of being taken apart of cleaning would be a better choice?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

gunfan2 wrote:
gds wrote:in a perfect world powder coating should not cause leading issues. I have not had an issue with leading since I started powder coating. That does not mean that an improper application of the powder coat may still cause leading.
do you then think that possibly a suppressor that is capable of being taken apart of cleaning would be a better choice?
Personally, I always think a user serviceable can is a better choice. That does not mean a sealed can is not usable. I am a tinkerer and I like to see how things are made, so I would prefer a user serviceable can over a sealed can.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I've shot 3K+ HTC and PC bullets through my 8" SBR/Chaotic and I've noticed no leading in the barrel but there is lead on the muzzle. I will take pictures next time I clean.

My Chaotic, which is not user serviceable, has gained almost 2oz since I've started shooting the HTC and PC bullets.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

If you load coated cast lead bullets properly you should not have issues. "Properly" being the key word. Don't over crimp them. I've read that the coated cast lead bullets can actually be cleaner than normal lead/copper jacketed.(read up on how to load coated cast lead)
Just keep an eye out for lead buildup in your gas system, mussel/flash hider and suppressor. A little lead in your suppressor is not going to kill it. A lot will though! Have fun!

R