9mm suppressor choice

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Nic56
Silent But Deadly

9mm suppressor choice

Post by Nic56 »

I've been considering a 9mm suppressor. I was almost committed last year to buying an Silencerco Octane 9, but never got around to it. I am still leaning towards the Octane 9, but I have not researched what's out there since that time, and was mostly curious if there was something else I might want to consider.

I don't necessarily need one to handle 300BLK, as I have a Specwar for that, but having the option, like using subsonic rounds with the Octane is a plus. I definitely want it to be user serviceable.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm suppressor choice

Post by TMD »

Octane 45 with the 9mm end cap. Yes it's a tad bigger but it's more versatile and quieter. It's also rated for 10mm, 40s&w, and subsonic 300bo
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

TMD wrote:Octane 45 with the 9mm end cap. Yes it's a tad bigger but it's more versatile and quieter. It's also rated for 10mm, 40s&w, and subsonic 300bo
Good point. I was aware of the replaceable end caps, but was not sure if the 9mm would still work as well on the 45 Octane due to the bigger baffle holes. But, I see it is longer, which probably helps, especially with the 9mm end cap.

jreinke
Silent Operator

Post by jreinke »

I'll second the Octane 45 and a 9mm cap. All my friends are amazed at what my SIG p228 sounds like with that can, specially with the Fiochi 158 subs.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

First of, SiCo is great! I have two of their cans, and am really pleased with the products and their customer service!

If you are intending a multi purpose can, eg, for 300 BO, the Octane isn't really the best. It has been recommended to me (and I believe SiCo says the same) that the octane is ok for 300BO in slow fire, but not rapid fire. Maybe that's just the 9HD (which I have).

Cans are expensive, I get that. And if this is your first suppressor purchase, it can be daunting.

For me, since I don't shoot 40 or 45, getting a 9mm can for my 9mm carbine was more important. Plus, it allowed me to tuck it under the handguard (not sure if the 45 can diameter would allow that).

I'm building a second 9mm carbine for the wife, and we are picking up a Liberty Mystic. This is rated for 300 BO supers, which the Octane is NOT.

You won't be disappointed with any of these - understand your specific purpose and intended use, and that should help narrow it down.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

I really want this can to be primarily for a 9mm host. The flexibility of other calibers, like .45 would be nice as long as I did not sacrifice performance for 9mm. User serviceability is a big requirement by me, and that is the reason I was leaning towards an Octane with the click together baffles that are supposed to slide out easily for cleaning, or at least easier according to some. I really don't care that the can handle 300 Blackout, as I don't even know if I would use it for that. I have a Silencerco Specwar that I use for 300 Blackout. I also have a Silencerco Sparrow for the smaller stuff. A can like the Octane would cover the pistol calibers.

RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

I think the Octane 2 is over priced. It's a nice can though. The quieter cans are going to be the Tirant 9 and Liberty Infiniti. I think the Liberty Infiniti was just discontinued and the Tirant 9 is about to be replaced with a newer design. So you may haft to hunt for one or wait it out.
Take a good look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9 it's pretty impressive. But in all honesty I would go Tirant 9 if it's just for pistols. Super light and quiet as long as your not shooting .22lr or cast lead threw it!

R
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

RAINS wrote:I think the Octane 2 is over priced. It's a nice can though. The quieter cans are going to be the Tirant 9 and Liberty Infiniti. I think the Liberty Infiniti was just discontinued and the Tirant 9 is about to be replaced with a newer design. So you may haft to hunt for one or wait it out.
Take a good look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9 it's pretty impressive. But in all honesty I would go Tirant 9 if it's just for pistols. Super light and quiet as long as your not shooting .22lr or cast lead threw it!

R
From looking at the Silencer Shop prices, I agree, the Octanes are a bit expensive IMO. They were a bit cheaper when I was considering one last year, but not by much. With that being said, I recently talked to the FFL holder I use for firearms transfers. He recently got his Class III license. I had a gun sent to him last week, and I talked to him via email. I mentioned I may have to buy a suppressor from him and he said that he had a demo model Tirant 9 with about 100 rounds through it that he would sell for $450. I wasn't really wanting the Tirant due to the aluminum baffles, but in retrospect, maybe I should have put more thought into buying the Tirant 9. I have no idea if he still has it or not.

ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncbowhnter »

Maybe the Silencerco Hybrid? I just ordered one. It will pretty much handle anything. I got it cause I don't have a pistol suppressor and I plan on setting it up for 9mm first.
The only down fall that I can think of is the size. Pretty sure suppressor sights still won't be tall enough to clear it on a pistol. So I've decided to go the glock MOS route with a red dot.
And their speq program is great!
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Doesn't 45 lend itself better to being suppressed?