Rail length vs barrel length with Sig SRD762ti-QD?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rail length vs barrel length with Sig SRD762ti-QD?

Post by TexasEric »

themonk wrote:
TexasEric wrote:1. Can we see more pics please?
2. How quit is the sig with your blackout carbines? What barrel lengths are they?
What type of pictures would you like to see?

I am running the SIG primarily on a 7.5" PDW. In 762 I own an Omega and SDN6. For the weight it is hands down the best 30 cal can I have shot. With an adjustable gas block that pdw is as quiet if not quieter than a suppressed 9mm subgun with 147 handloads. The sig made me regret getting the Omega. I dont really have a use for it now other than as a thread on can.
That is pretty much what wanted to know. I have posted in other forums about getting a comparison. Between the Omega and the Sig. This confirms what I already suspected, when compared to the Omega .30 cal. I also know the Sig is great in terms of point of impact shift and repeatability.

I wanted to see pics of can and rifle. It seems like an excellent can. My intent is to put the Sig or a Thunderbeast 7/9 at the end of a 10.5 in 300 BO. I also wanted to know what irritates you about the Sig, are there any annoyances you have experienced. Have needed any customer service interactions? I like to know the down sides as well.

So far am I am leaning toward Thunderbeast, because of excellent customer service. I believe the Sig might be on par with Thunderbeast 9, bit probably slightly more quiet.

Please let me know what you think.

A-game this is directed to you as well. You can message if you like.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Man with how good you guys say the sig is on the 300blackouts you really make me want to swap mine off the .308 and onto my blackout just to see how good it is. I've had the omega and the srd762ti for about a year now and because of not wanting to have to swap muzzle devices around I've never once tried the sig with 300 blackout.

I've always been a bit biased more in favor of the omega but they are both great cans!
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

I know the thunderbeast somewhat as a shop that I frequent loves them and I am in the back with the gunsmith often and have played around with them a good bit. I have heard they are awesome cans, especially in a precision application. If I were to make a guess I would think the sig is far more durable that the thunderbeast. The small tight threads on their QD have always looked fragile to me. The QD version is super light. As far as sound goes I have never shot them so I dont really have any good intel there. The guy at the shop, who doesn't seem to know a lot about the NFA, says they're SUPER quiet but he is shooting them on 556 which leads me to the conclusion he's clueless.

In regards to SIG CS, I delt with them once as I purchased a muzzle device second hand and the dude killed the crush washer between the muzzle device and the part that the can locks on to. I called and asked for another one. She was helpful and shipped one out free of charge.

The can is rock solid and I like the way it threads onto the QD. It has never locked up on me. I also like how you can swap from a break to a flash hider without removing the whole muzzle device. I am just waiting on SIG to come out with the double barrel break so i can run it on my SCAR 17.

If I was in the market for a new can I would be spending a lot of time researching the new Q cans. Kevin and the team killed it while at SIG. As a hunch I would believe they took it to the next level when they started Q. I was blown away with their quality at SHOT but didnt have the opportunity to shoot any of their cans.

This gun was designed to be a PDW. Barrel is X-Caliber based on recommendations from here. Its sub MOA if you put the work in and consistent 1 MOA in daily shooting. It has an adjustable gas block that is an SLR adjustable which does a great job of calming the back pressure bark. The gun is setup to fire supers of all types without the can (as a PDW) and will shoot anything with the can on.

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

themonk wrote:I know the thunderbeast somewhat as a shop that I frequent loves them and I am in the back with the gunsmith often and have played around with them a good bit. I have heard they are awesome cans, especially in a precision application. If I were to make a guess I would think the sig is far more durable that the thunderbeast. The small tight threads on their QD have always looked fragile to me. The QD version is super light. As far as sound goes I have never shot them so I dont really have any good intel there. The guy at the shop, who doesn't seem to know a lot about the NFA, says they're SUPER quiet but he is shooting them on 556 which leads me to the conclusion he's clueless.

In regards to SIG CS, I delt with them once as I purchased a muzzle device second hand and the dude killed the crush washer between the muzzle device and the part that the can locks on to. I called and asked for another one. She was helpful and shipped one out free of charge.

The can is rock solid and I like the way it threads onto the QD. It has never locked up on me. I also like how you can swap from a break to a flash hider without removing the whole muzzle device. I am just waiting on SIG to come out with the double barrel break so i can run it on my SCAR 17.

If I was in the market for a new can I would be spending a lot of time researching the new Q cans. Kevin and the team killed it while at SIG. As a hunch I would believe they took it to the next level when they started Q. I was blown away with their quality at SHOT but didnt have the opportunity to shoot any of their cans.

This gun was designed to be a PDW. Barrel is X-Caliber based on recommendations from here. Its sub MOA if you put the work in and consistent 1 MOA in daily shooting. It has an adjustable gas block that is an SLR adjustable which does a great job of calming the back pressure bark. The gun is setup to fire supers of all types without the can (as a PDW) and will shoot anything with the can on.

You confirmed much of what I have been wondering about. For my planned can and carbine setup. For that, I thank you. Judging from your PDW we have similar ideas about 300 BO. I am fairly clueless though, but learning fast.

When you say put in the work speaking to barrel accuracy. Is that in regards to load development, or just trigger time at the range? I was on the fence about X cal, BA has a one MOA guarantee. After hearing your results I will probably go with X-cal. I will probably be doing the stainless steel, 1:7 twist with 5r rifling, and cyro. I want as much accuracy from the short barrel as I can get. I had much help from another smart individual in figuring this out.

What bolt carrier group did you use for your carbine? I was planning on using LMT or maybe JP, for the delayed unlocking time and enhanced bolt.

We came to the same conclusion on cans btw. I'd bet the Sig is more durable and just as quiet as the Ultra 9, due to it's wider tubeless design. Based from testimony here from members here, it has similar POI shift and repeatability. Sig Sauer was the only weakness, they didn't put enough follow though on the project, and slowed the whole process down. That is why I asked about customer service.
Kevin developed the can for Sig, then left and started his own company. By the time I am ready to Form 1 my lower and purchase my can, Q should have his rifle cans to market. I am fairly certain his cans well be better or dead even with Sig's. If not, it will be Sig or Thunderbeast
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

When I say put in the work; it's a PDW so it's not the easiest gun to sit down and benchrest. I did it once or twice to verify accuracy and I am good to go. The gun has a geissele trigger which helps. My barrel twist is 1:6. You may get better accuracy out of the 1:7 5R but I dont know. The new Honey Badger is 1:5 and Ethan is on the record saying that in these super short barrels go as fast as you can.

PM user here named dellet as he has a few of xcaliber barrels and was very helpful when I was looking for a barrel. Good thread on the topic - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=98370

For a BCG I went with Sionics. They make a mil spec carrier that has been Np3 coated by Robar and it cleans up like a dream. I have had all the other coated BCGs and this is the only one that lives up to its promises. At this point, any gun that I have with a dedicated can I am running a Sionics.

Stock is a Maxim Defense with the JP silent spring that JP designed just for them. I am running the heavy buffer. The rail was actually the bitch of the project as so many rails are longer then they state. It was originally going to be a Vltor monolithic but they spec the list for length on the site is shorter than actual length. If I did it all again i would do a different rail as the anodising on the SLR is very weak IMO for the money. Its a good rail for what it is and he gets kudos for having so many lengths but it should be a $150 - $175 rail. Maybe someday i will swap it for an NSR. In the end, it is the culmination of all I have learned about blackout since 2012. Super happy how it turned out. Its a nice compact at 21".

I have a buddy who works in an unspecified location and Q sent them some cans for testing. I need to get with him and see what he thinks. He was the one that turned me onto the SIG.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

themonk wrote:When I say put in the work; it's a PDW so it's not the easiest gun to sit down and benchrest. I did it once or twice to verify accuracy and I am good to go. The gun has a geissele trigger which helps. My barrel twist is 1:6. You may get better accuracy out of the 1:7 5R but I dont know. The new Honey Badger is 1:5 and Ethan is on the record saying that in these super short barrels go as fast as you can.

PM user here named dellet as he has a few of xcaliber barrels and was very helpful when I was looking for a barrel. Good thread on the topic - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=98370

For a BCG I went with Sionics. They make a mil spec carrier that has been Np3 coated by Robar and it cleans up like a dream. I have had all the other coated BCGs and this is the only one that lives up to its promises. At this point, any gun that I have with a dedicated can I am running a Sionics.

Stock is a Maxim Defense with the JP silent spring that JP designed just for them. I am running the heavy buffer. The rail was actually the bitch of the project as so many rails are longer then they state. It was originally going to be a Vltor monolithic but they spec the list for length on the site is shorter than actual length. If I did it all again i would do a different rail as the anodising on the SLR is very weak IMO for the money. Its a good rail for what it is and he gets kudos for having so many lengths but it should be a $150 - $175 rail. Maybe someday i will swap it for an NSR. In the end, it is the culmination of all I have learned about blackout since 2012. Super happy how it turned out. Its a nice compact at 21".

I have a buddy who works in an unspecified location and Q sent them some cans for testing. I need to get with him and see what he thinks. He was the one that turned me onto the SIG.
This is all GREAT info. I completely missed the twist thread, I will go 1:6 twist. Hell, I may shorten the barrel to 8 inches if I can get 1 MOA accuracy. I want it long enough take a deer with that is about all, and be seriously quiet with subs. I am new to 300 BO, but I have no problem listening to those who have been around longer than me. Dellet helped me immensely with parts selection a few months ago. I will be using, some of the same parts as you. I have been saving cash since I pm'ed the hell out of dellet.
If you hear any more on the Q front please PM me. It was great talking to you.

My wife may be getting pissed at me soon.
Furdown

Post by Furdown »

I currently have a 10.5" barrel and 10" handguard, as stated above, I have about a 1/8" clearance between the suppressor and handguard.