AAC 762 SDN6

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RDA
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 762 SDN6

Post by RDA »

When you mount the suppressor, do you tighten in until it stops or do you go to the last reasonable tooth then back it off so it is tight against the last tooth?
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Doc68 wrote:How many inch pounds of torque did you put in the muzzle device?
I torqued it to whatever the mounts' instructions called for; I don't remember off the top of my head. The CZ has 1/2-28 threads, while the .308 has 9/16-24 threads, so they called for different torque settings anyway. I used a nice Proto wrench, but it's probably a year or two out of cal since I'm not using it for work at this time. The company that pays me to fix their airplanes provides all the tooling, so I haven't kept my personal stuff completely up to date.
RDA wrote:When you mount the suppressor, do you tighten in until it stops or do you go to the last reasonable tooth then back it off so it is tight against the last tooth?
Tighten until it stops, then back against the last tooth that caught.
Doc68
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doc68 »

Netpackrat wrote:
Doc68 wrote:How many inch pounds of torque did you put in the muzzle device?
I torqued it to whatever the mounts' instructions called for; I don't remember off the top of my head. The CZ has 1/2-28 threads, while the .308 has 9/16-24 threads, so they called for different torque settings anyway. I used a nice Proto wrench, but it's probably a year or two out of cal since I'm not using it for work at this time. The company that pays me to fix their airplanes provides all the tooling, so I haven't kept my personal stuff completely up to date.
RDA wrote:When you mount the suppressor, do you tighten in until it stops or do you go to the last reasonable tooth then back it off so it is tight against the last tooth?

No, I meant the muzzle brake or flash hider itself.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Doc68 wrote:No, I meant the muzzle brake or flash hider itself.
I.E. the mount. :roll:
Doc68
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doc68 »

Netpackrat wrote:

Yes the mount. Trying to help you out here and you want to act like a smartass. Torquing the mount to much will affect accuracy.....

Fucking people.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

Netpackrat wrote:
Ok. Not sure why you are experiencing those results. I have used my 762 SDN6 and have minimal POI shift and no real impact on accuracy by tightening it properly. I don't believe the 51T QD is the problem personally.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Silly question but why I the world did your gunsmith thread your .308 in 9/16 instead of the industry standard 5/8"?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Mounts are torqued to between 20-30 foot pounds. That general range applies to any kind of barrel threading. Don't forget the Rocksett.

I've read the Saker 51T mount behaves just as badly, since Silco has to follow the official AAC specs anyway.

Yea the Saker over the SDN6 any day. They weigh about the same, but Saker is way more durable.
And the MAAD mount system is rock solid under any condition. Only the Sandman mounts are better IMO.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Doc68 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

Yes the mount. Trying to help you out here and you want to act like a smartass. Torquing the mount to much will affect accuracy.....

Fucking people.
I'm not asking for help. I posted my experience as a warning to anybody else who is considering buying a can using this mounting system. And then you assume that I didn't follow the instructions, and want me to explain what I did in order to find some fault in it. I'm happy that your AAC can is performing up to your expectations. Nobody should have to spend this much money and time, and wind up disappointed with their decision.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

TMD wrote:Silly question but why I the world did your gunsmith thread your .308 in 9/16 instead of the industry standard 5/8"?
Based on the amount of material that was available, to get full thread engagement. I was asked that on the Saiga forum too, but most of those guys are threading with a die and an alignment tool, for a plain flash hider or brake. He could have gone down to 1/2-28 for a more standard threading, but there would have been a loss of strength. He had to go 1/2-28 with my CZ due to not enough material for a larger size. He has an AK barrel of mine right now, for an SBR I am building. Not sure if it is going to wind up at 1/2 or 9/16 yet. He thought there might be enough material for a shoulder with 9/16, but won't know for sure until he gets it mounted in his lathe.

Pretty much the entire reason I went with the AAC can was to be able to use it on the .308 with the 9/16 threads, and AAC listed a greater variety of thread sizes (including 9/16) than the other companies whose cans I considered. I had a YHM flash hider on it before since it was the only 9/16-24rh flash hider I could find during the panic, and I would probably have been happier with a YHM can for that matter.