How much suppressor do I need

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

How much suppressor do I need

Post by Walkers Bay »

Hello Gents.

I'm a long time thread reader and now new member.
Just been in the process of buying all the bits and components to change my .223/556 to 300blk and load the ammo.
So I'm in New Zealand and this caliber is virtually unheard of here at the moment so the process has been going on a while because of the rarty of parts and thanks to your state department difficult to purchase parts ddirectly from the US.
The 223 im running now has had a Waitaki engineering suppressor on it and I'm happy with that and was going to get the baffles bored and the threads changed to suit my new set up.
Its a 5inch S/S multiple baffle set up with internal muzzle brake its not the lightest but doesn't mind mmultiple mag dumps or auto fire. Would you suggest a larger can for 300 or the same be fine.
Suppressors are unregulated here and price comparison against the US models our are extremely cheap so its no issues to pick up one off the shelf if I need another.

Owen
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Re: How much suppressor do I need

Post by rpk47 »

If I were you I would go with a larger can that can handle larger calibers as well, such as 308 WIN. Even tho you can just pick one up where your at, I personally would want one I can swap to other guns if I wanted.

Unless you buy a can for every gun so you don't have to mess with swapping them around at all then yah only buy what that gun needs. In that case I would still buy a longer can than 5 inches because 300blk can be really quiet and a 5 inch can won't get you into that really quiet territory.

Edit: also head over to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ your log in for this site should work on that forum as well. There are some members there that are from New Zealand that could probably help you out a lot.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

rpk47 wrote:If I were you I would go with a larger can that can handle larger calibers as well, such as 308 WIN. Even tho you can just pick one up where your at, I personally would want one I can swap to other guns if I wanted.

Unless you buy a can for every gun so you don't have to mess with swapping them around at all then yah only buy what that gun needs. In that case I would still buy a longer can than 5 inches because 300blk can be really quiet and a 5 inch can won't get you into that really quiet territory.

Edit: also head over to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ your log in for this site should work on that forum as well. There are some members there that are from New Zealand that could probably help you out a lot.

Thanks that's good advice I'll look at that site.
Umm yep I do just put a suppressor on everything I own if I think it needs it.
The suppressor on the 556 thats getting bored out was 260 new and its a 20 to bore and thread it so I tightly thought why not.
But a ultimate ultra light weight is about 350 -400 I just really don't feel like dropping that on something untested as yet.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

I'd go with a good titanium 308 can, if you're volume of fire is reasonable. I think the best on the market is my first suppressor purchase... my SiCo Omega. It's capable of full auto up to 300 Win Mag, but 12-13oz depending on configuration. I run it direct thread on my 300BLK, with a flat end-cap. It's 6", 12oz, and sounds AMAZING.

If they are accessible and cheap in NZ, then buy the best, instead of modifying something not designed for 300BLK/308.

Jeff
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

JeffWard wrote:I'd go with a good titanium 308 can, if you're volume of fire is reasonable. I think the best on the market is my first suppressor purchase... my SiCo Omega. It's capable of full auto up to 300 Win Mag, but 12-13oz depending on configuration. I run it direct thread on my 300BLK, with a flat end-cap. It's 6", 12oz, and sounds AMAZING.

If they are accessible and cheap in NZ, then buy the best, instead of modifying something not designed for 300BLK/308.

Jeff
I don't think any US made can is available in NZ due to export restrictions unfortunately. I know next to nothing about what is available in NZ but on the up side if you dabble in machine work you can make yourself as many cans as you want. Even at NZ prices for pre made cans you could pay for a lathe in the making of a few cans.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

ITAR sucks! :evil:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

Yeah ITAR does suck, but that along with NFA laws making suppressors a lucrative business I think has lead to the US companies being the cutting edge of what works the best.

As unfortunate as it is, if NFA wasn't around I don't think there would be as much innovation in the suppressor industry because there would be way less money in it.

So that concludes literally the one and only thing that could ever possibly be stretched, construed and shoehorned into the NFA laws doing anyone anything useful. :lol:
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

rpk47 wrote:Yeah ITAR does suck, but that along with NFA laws making suppressors a lucrative business I think has lead to the US companies being the cutting edge of what works the best.

As unfortunate as it is, if NFA wasn't around I don't think there would be as much innovation in the suppressor industry because there would be way less money in it.

So that concludes literally the one and only thing that could ever possibly be stretched, construed and shoehorned into the NFA laws doing anyone anything useful. :lol:

I beg to differ.
The market in you contry is aid at materials that last a lifetime and suppressors that are serviceable. But the price competition is not there.
Over here it is a market free of government intervention
The market here is for high power hunting rifles suppressors to be as cheep, light and quite as possible.
Driving a market to produce some of the quitest lightest cans available in the world.

I'll give you a few names and you can bullshit check me your self.

Hardy rifle engineering.. check out the gen 5 non magnum Made a .270 sound like a .22mag
Oceania defense. They do a 3d printed titanium.
Dpt suppressor to a nice duralum modular unit that only weighs 6.7oz
Waitaki engineering
Sub silent suppressors mades bad ass customs
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

I will have to look those up when I get home. Any links you can send me would be great. would really like to see what they can do.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Over here, they've got to last, and are built, at least for the most part, to last. Over there, you can make a 3 ounce derlin 22 can that lasts for a 100 or 200 rounds and are disposable.