9mm Silencer?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

loranger
Senior Silent Operator

9mm Silencer?

Post by loranger »

Im looking to pick up a 9mm can to use on a future 9mm sbr build, m&p 15-22, and possibly my xd-m if I can find a threaded barrel for it. I have been going back and forth between the aac tirant 9 or the gemtech gm-9. Both look to be user serviceable so I can use them on my .22 but just not sure which would work better. I already have a sdn-6 so I don't think I would use it on my 300 sbr but its possible. Any first hand accounts of either one?
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm Silencer?

Post by DoubleJ »

I have the full size Tirant on my M&P9. Up until Friday, it was my only can, and I've never shot any other can, but I like it a lot. It's a PITA to get apart though, I wouldn't put it on a 22.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Take a hard look at the SWR Octane. Either in 9mm or 45. The 9mm will be a little smaller but the 45 gives the option of being used on more guns.

I have the Octane45 and a TiRant 9s. Not really apples to apples sense the 9s is a "mini can". Both are well made. I personally like the Octane baffle stack better then the TiRants.

The octanes baffles click together and prevent carbon build up on the inside of the tube. The Tirants K baffles dont donthis and allow crap on the inside surface of the tube. This can make it a PITA to get the baffles out for cleaning

Also, the Octane has more adaptor options. So its easier to mate to different hosts.

Another GOOD option is the Mystic X. I dont have one yet but its prob my next suppresor purchase.
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

Have an Octane 45 and two Evo 9s. The Octane 45 is great, and the Evo 9s were cheap, especially with the $200 AAC store credit. My next pistol can will probably be an Osprey, as the sights being obfuscated by the can bugs me a bit. I'd also ditto previous remarks about buying a 45 can, vs a 9, for your first pistol can. 45 is quiet and fun to shoot. My next pistol can will probably be an Osprey 45, or 45k.

Regarding use for 22, I wouldn't make that too much of a criteria. Just focus on buying the best pistol can possible. Later, you can get a 22 can... or several of them. 22 is way too much fun to shoot suppressed, and you don't want a 10oz 7" can hanging off your little rimfire, when a 4oz 4-inch 22 can will be quieter.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
DragonAzz

Post by DragonAzz »

Replies to your post are spot on.
The time it takes to finally receive your suppressor, the last thing you want is inferior materials.
I choose the Octane 9 a couple of years ago for having the most durable internal and exterior materials.
Serviceability ranks right up there.

***Remember your tube is serialize and can not be replaced.

As stated the adaptability is also another large consideration in your purchase.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

A word on SWR customer service...

Somehow i got the piston endcap on my Octane45 stuck on the tube. No way to change pistons or swap hosts :cry:

I called SWR. Explained the problem. They had me send in the can and a copy of my form 4. Inside of 1 week ( i think it was 4days) i had the can back in my hands. Fully repaired ( i think they replaced the endcap). Total cost for the repair....ZERO.

I fully expected to pay for the repair, parts at least. Nope.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Everyone needs 3 dedicated cans: rimfire, centerfire pistol, centerfire rifle.

I would get the Octane 45 since it covers more calibers.

But if considering strictly 9mm cans, then Mystic X would be it. You get added benefit of using full power 556 and 300 BLK (which is moot if you have a dedicated rifle can).
loranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by loranger »

rimshaker wrote:Everyone needs 3 dedicated cans: rimfire, centerfire pistol, centerfire rifle.

I would get the Octane 45 since it covers more calibers.

But if considering strictly 9mm cans, then Mystic X would be it. You get added benefit of using full power 556 and 300 BLK (which is moot if you have a dedicated rifle can).
If I had it to do all over again I would definitely consider the Mystic X. Half the weight of my sdn-6 and useable with pretty much everything I have. Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I need to do a little more research.
mtlcafan79

Post by mtlcafan79 »

Realize the Mystic X weighs almost 14 oz with a booster on it. Some pistols have trouble cycling with that much weight hanging off the front.
hotwing

Post by hotwing »

+1 for the Octane 45HD
+1 for a separate 22 can (love my Sparrow - the sleeves make all the difference for take apart & cleaning)
+1 for the reasons above