Two questions about muzzle attachment and suppressor cost.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

22_boomer
Silent Operator

Two questions about muzzle attachment and suppressor cost.

Post by 22_boomer »

I was at the range about a month ago and a fellow had an AR in 7.62X39 and a suppressor. I was really impressed since he was shooting standard store bought ammo. I was too busy with my stuff to stop and ask about his suppressor setup but later on I thought I might like to try that on my 300 Blackout. What is the going price on a suppressor these days that would work well with the 300 BLK and what type of muzzle attachment is best to use. I Googled suppressors and was a little turned off by the prices since I have to add $200 for a stamp to the total but I figured "where there is a will there is a way" if I really want it. I only shoot supersonic in the 300 BLK but I do have a smaller 7.62X25 mini-whisper that I do shoot subsonic at times.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Two questions about muzzle attachment and suppressor cost.

Post by 68Guy »

OK I will start this. When you are looking at purchasing a suppressor (yeah right - like any of us have actually stopped at ONE?!), you need to really consider that this is probably a lifetime investment so from a cost perspective, go ahead and amortize it out to how long you intend to keep shooting :mrgreen: Seriously, once you invest in a suppressor, it is yours by serial number and it is not an easy thing to sell it later on so you should make your decisions wisely. Now for MY answer to your questions - others will weigh in with their own.

You should determine what your long term goal is for a suppressor first. Is it going to be a dedicated can for a specific rifle/pistol? Are you looking for maximum portability with really good sound suppression or is ultimate quiet the goal? How much do you care about weight? How MANY suppressors are you ultimately looking to buy? You see, these questions are really important and lead you towards what TYPE of suppressor you should look for and then you can have the fun of narrowing the choice down to a specific manufacturer/model. Heck you could even make your own (but you still need to apply for and receive the tax stamp before doing that).

As an example, if you determine that you want this for a dedicated rifle and ultimate quiet and weight savings are what you need, then you should look at a direct thread Titanium can in the specific caliber you intend this for. If however, you own multiple weapons and want portability and really good sound suppression, you can go the way I did and get a .30 cal rifle can that uses a quick disconnect (QD) mount and then you simply buy additional mounts for the other weapons. I bought ONE rifle can and can use it across my 300 BLK SBR, my 6.8 SPC for hunting or my 5.56 M4 and it works great on all with only ONE tax stamp. I give up a slight bit of DB reduction on the smaller 5.56 caliber but I have shot it side by side with a dedicated can and to the human ear, the 1-2 DB difference is very hard to discern. For my pistols, I chose the other round and went dedicated so I got a 9mm AND a .22 suppressor. Still waiting for those to get out of FFL jail so I can try them out. Good luck on your decision. Oh and one last thing, don't worry about the $200 tax stamp. By the time you get to pick up your suppressor 4-6 months from purchase, you will have pretty much forgotten you even paid that and after the first couple trigger pulls - you will be looking to buy MORE. Don't say you haven't been warned.... :lol:
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

I bought a .30 caliber can that I plan on using for anything smaller as well. Eventually, I'll get a dedicated can for .22lr. Keep that in mind, you don't want to shoot 22lr through a sealed can.

I basically went the same route that 68guy went.
22_boomer
Silent Operator

Post by 22_boomer »

Ok -- good info from both you guys! I do have to say I know nothing about suppressors -- what is a sealed can and what is the benefit of a non-sealed can? this is starting to look like I'm going to get really involved with this project.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Im going to mirror the above posts. Spot on info.

A sealed can (most rifle cans are sealed) does not allow the user to dis-assemble the can for cleaning. So shooting 22lr thru a sealed can is a bad idea. 22's tend to deposit lead onto the internals and gunk up quickly.

A non-sealed can has endcaps that unscrew, allowing you to take it apart and clean it out. Most pistol cans and 22lr cans are this type.

There is SOME crossover. A few companies make take apart rifle cans. As an example, if Gemtech ever starts shipping their 300blk specific can, im going to get one. It is a take apart design that is only rated for 300blk.

The question usually comes up..."so, how do i clean my sealed Rifle can?"
You dont. The heat and pressure of rifle rounds doesnt gunk up the internals enough to worry about. I know guys that have been running 556 cans on guns for 10 years...no noticable change from a brand new unit.

Hope that helps
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

just a friendly note that i havent seen mentioned here.

if you plan on shooting cast - that falls under the same rules as 22lr and may (probably) deposit lead in your can as well - unless you're powder coating, or some other preventative measure anyway.

in that case one of the DIY supressors that you can replace your baffles in (like a mag light special) that you form-1 may be a better option, and treat it more like a dedicated use can.

just something to consider :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
RazorUSMC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RazorUSMC »

Ok I have 6 Silencer that are on my trust. I will tell you the FIRST thing you need to do if you are serious about getting a silencer is to get your self a trust. The trust will take away a lot of head for you, without a trust you have to get finger prints,passport photo, and get a CLEO ( sheriff or police chief) to sign your form 4.Screw all that extra time and money get a trust first. I own a YHM titanium Phantom 7.62, YHM 7.62 LT, Silencerco Saker 7.62, Silencerco Osprey .45,Silencerco Sparrow .22, and the Silencerco Salvo 12 ( 12 gauge shotgun silencer). I have 2 300 Blackout rifles that I use for hog hunting, one is a custom Marine Corps cammo 16" and the other is a 10.5" SBR. I use the YHM LT (7.62) and the Saker 7.62 on both of them and with subsonic ammo the are super quiet, sounds like a high powered air rifle. If you are going to be shooting only Supersonic ammo threw it than its a waste of money for you because you will still hear the bullet break the sound barrier, YES it will be hearing safe but you want to get rid of the crack of the bullet. The cost of the silencer will pay of in the long term for you if you go hunting with it. with the 6 that i have plus my 3 SBRs i have dropped $1,800 dollars on tax stamps so far and I am in the process of building another SBR and getting 2 more silencers. If you do decided to get a silencer for you 300 Blackout get a 7.62 caliber can.
United States Marine (0311/Infantry & 0372 Critical Skills Operator) 13 years, NRA life member,NFA Stamp Collector (16)
TX Sapper
Senior Silent Operator

Post by TX Sapper »

I am in line with the first couple of posts. The only information that I want to contradict so far is that there IS a very good use for a suppressor with supersonic rounds. I shoot both supers and subs through my suppressed 300 BLKs, it's part of the fun and versatility of this caliber. When I am target shooting or hunting deer with supers, it sure is nice not to have my ears hurt. Of course when I am hog hunting, it sure is beneficial (not essential) to hunt with subs. But I must say that even hunting hogs with supers, the super's crack confuses the hogs on what direction to run and gives you a couple of more shots. The hogs tend to run sideways from the crack, not away from you (because they don't hear your rifle).

I am sure that many others here can support what I said with their experiences.

I don't even sight my rifles in without the suppressors!

Sapper
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

TX Sapper wrote:I am in line with the first couple of posts. The only information that I want to contradict so far is that there IS a very good use for a suppressor with supersonic rounds. I shoot both supers and subs through my suppressed 300 BLKs, it's part of the fun and versatility of this caliber. When I am target shooting or hunting deer with supers, it sure is nice not to have my ears hurt. Of course when I am hog hunting, it sure is beneficial (not essential) to hunt with subs. But I must say that even hunting hogs with supers, the super's crack confuses the hogs on what direction to run and gives you a couple of more shots. The hogs tend to run sideways from the crack, not away from you (because they don't hear your rifle).

I am sure that many others here can support what I said with their experiences.

I don't even sight my rifles in without the suppressors!

Sapper
yeah all true. There is a noticeable difference in the rifle report when shooting supers but as the earlier poster said, if I was only going to shoot supers, I wouldn't have invested in the suppressor but the main rifle it stays on is the 300BLK SBR and it is SUPER quiet with the YHM LT Phantom and 175-208 subs. The case hitting the concrete on the range is louder :lol: With the QD mount, I simply twist it off, put it on my 6.8 SPC II and then have a really fantastic hunting rig (Yes I know this is a 300BLk forum so no haters but I will still use the 6.8 with the longer barrel for hogs) which IS shooting supers.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I run my 300blk about 90% of the time with supers. Most of that shooting is suppressed. The can makes a world of difference even with supers.

Yes,subs are even quieter but the trade off is power. Supers = rifle power...Subs = pistol power.