Silencerco Harvester

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bearman
Silent Operator

Silencerco Harvester

Post by bearman »

Has anyone shot one on a 300 BLK? I was thinking of getting one for my 300 BLK and my 308 win bolt hunting rifle. I was hoping someone here had shot one. The Harvester is only 11.3 ounces and is rated up to a 300 WM. Silencer Shop has them for $550.
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Re: Silencerco Harvester

Post by 0uTkAsT »

I just bought a Harvester last week to go with a Ruger 6970 (compact American Ranch .300BLK), which I ordered at the same time. Now the race is on to see which I get first... the stamp or the Ruger :roll:

The owner of the shop is going to let me shoot the two together whenever he's able to find me a 6970. Price for the Harvester was $600+ tax, price for the Ruger will be $370+ tax. I will let you know how it sounds when I am able to try it, if you are patient enough to wait.
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

SIlencershop is $550, plus you can add a Spectre II for $99. Yeah, I fell for that deal.

I only bought it a month or so ago, so haven't shot it yet. From everything I've heard it looks to be great on a 300aac, assuming you're not doing a couple mag dumps. I think it'd be fine for say a 10rd splatter at some hogs, but it;s more designed for about gun.

Not sure of the barrel length rating for 300aac? I think they want 24" for 300m and 16" for 5.56? Betting they'd want 12 or so for 300aac, but not sure? That would be one thing to look at, assuming you're buying for the 300.

This will be my 4th 30-cal can (already have an SDN-6 and two Saker 762). But I really do love the lightweight of this can, and actually do look forward to the brake taming even a bit more of the recoil off of Magnum rifle rounds. And yes, getting both a Spectre II and Harvester for $649 is a pretty good deal.

I'm betting there are a few on here than have them in-hand. They came out around the same time as the Saker 762, and I've had that for over a month now...
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

WhoDatRR wrote:SIlencershop is $550, plus you can add a Spectre II for $99. Yeah, I fell for that deal.

I only bought it a month or so ago, so haven't shot it yet. From everything I've heard it looks to be great on a 300aac, assuming you're not doing a couple mag dumps. I think it'd be fine for say a 10rd splatter at some hogs, but it;s more designed for about gun.

Not sure of the barrel length rating for 300aac? I think they want 24" for 300m and 16" for 5.56? Betting they'd want 12 or so for 300aac, but not sure? That would be one thing to look at, assuming you're buying for the 300.

This will be my 4th 30-cal can (already have an SDN-6 and two Saker 762). But I really do love the lightweight of this can, and actually do look forward to the brake taming even a bit more of the recoil off of Magnum rifle rounds. And yes, getting both a Spectre II and Harvester for $649 is a pretty good deal.

I'm betting there are a few on here than have them in-hand. They came out around the same time as the Saker 762, and I've had that for over a month now...
Agreed, the Harvester is not a one-size-fits-all solution and is definitely intended to be a slow fire can on "standard" length barrels. I'm sure it would be possible to overheat it relatively easily with even low pressure rounds and a moderate volume of sustained fire on a semi-auto with a 16" barrel.

I was originally sold on a YHM .30 cal Ultra Light Tactical, which is full auto rated down to 8" on a .300BLK and only weighs 13oz by itself. However, when I compared it (and the AAC 762-SDN-6) to the Harvester, I realized the more "abusable" cans were not right for me. Each was $250-$300 more, plus required an $90-$120 QD mount for each additional host. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a consideration, although I am a believer in "buy once, cry once" and I can not afford to have more than one. What killed them for me was the weight. After you factor in the mounts - 4.2oz for the YHM, in case anyone is curious - that makes the Harvester easily 6oz lighter than the even the YHM ULT and nearly 12oz lighter than the SDN-6. I am not badmouthing either of those suppressors, because they are both far superior to the Harvester in several ways, but in my case, I will likely never put more than 10 rounds per minute through my can even on a hot streak, and I will definitely be carrying it 10 or more miles on my back every season. They just didn't make sense for me, but the Harvester is going to make it possible for me to have a suppressed hunting rifle that weighs 7.6lbs loaded including scope, mount, sling & swivels.
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

A few other things I've heard about this can, compared to some others:

1. SUPPRESSION - It's not an especially quiet can, vs. the SDN & Saker class. This is just preliminary, from what I've read, but the suppression seems to range from not-noticeable to barely noticeable. But when it's noticeable, Harvester seems just a tad louder. Yet still hearing safe, which is big for me.
2. RECOIL - Reviews are mixed on the brake capability. While many say it;s a waste, and they wished Silencerco would have just made the can shorter or used the space for an extra baffle, a couple reviewers did notice a significant difference. in one review where they measured recoil, improvement ranged from 20-40%, which is worth the price of admission IMOHO. Making a 300WM kick like a 308 is a good thing, for someone like me who doesn't shoot 300WM that well.
3. QUALITY - Some early reviewers have complained that the modular mating system is prone to come loose. They said to check frequently, or apply a touch of lock-tight. This is anecdotal, but something to look at.
4. DURABILITY - There's a Silencershop video where they do a 30 or so round mag dump, to prove that this can isn't wimpy. When this things first came out, people were saying "6rds a minute". Now, I think most are saying 10 or more fairly rapidly is OK, but let it cool after that.
5. ACCURACY - Most have reported that POI shift is minimal, shift is consistent, and groups are tight.

That's what I've heard the the INTERWEBS. I've held the thing a few times, but have never shot it.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
doubleshot00
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleshot00 »

0uTkAsT wrote:
WhoDatRR wrote:SIlencershop is $550, plus you can add a Spectre II for $99. Yeah, I fell for that deal.

Agreed, the Harvester is not a one-size-fits-all solution and is definitely intended to be a slow fire can on "standard" length barrels. I'm sure it would be possible to overheat it relatively easily with even low pressure rounds and a moderate volume of sustained fire on a semi-auto with a 16" barrel.

I was originally sold on a YHM .30 cal Ultra Light Tactical, which is full auto rated down to 8" on a .300BLK and only weighs 13oz by itself. However, when I compared it (and the AAC 762-SDN-6) to the Harvester, I realized the more "abusable" cans were not right for me. Each was $250-$300 more, plus required an $90-$120 QD mount for each additional host. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a consideration, although I am a believer in "buy once, cry once" and I can not afford to have more than one. What killed them for me was the weight. After you factor in the mounts - 4.2oz for the YHM, in case anyone is curious - that makes the Harvester easily 6oz lighter than the even the YHM ULT and nearly 12oz lighter than the SDN-6. I am not badmouthing either of those suppressors, because they are both far superior to the Harvester in several ways, but in my case, I will likely never put more than 10 rounds per minute through my can even on a hot streak, and I will definitely be carrying it 10 or more miles on my back every season. They just didn't make sense for me, but the Harvester is going to make it possible for me to have a suppressed hunting rifle that weighs 7.6lbs loaded including scope, mount, sling & swivels.
This is the main reason for me wanting one. I have a saker 762 in jail but the weight us the thing that gets me. I just got a new Ruger American predator in .308 to replace my 06 ruger american so I can use a suppressor. Yeah I could have gotten it threaded but wanted a .308.

I think a 18 oz suppressor on the end of it or even on my 8" blk its going to add a bit of noticeable weight. Sobi think the harvestor will fit the bill.
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

doubleshot00 wrote:
0uTkAsT wrote:

This is the main reason for me wanting one. I have a saker 762 in jail but the weight us the thing that gets me. I just got a new Ruger American predator in .308 to replace my 06 ruger american so I can use a suppressor. Yeah I could have gotten it threaded but wanted a .308.

I think a 18 oz suppressor on the end of it or even on my 8" blk its going to add a bit of noticeable weight. Sobi think the harvestor will fit the bill.
My brother from another mother! I'm getting a Harvester to go on my new Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK. We'll be almost twins :lol:
wcoats

Post by wcoats »

hhm, The harvester really has me tempted due to weight savings. Right now the only gun I have to use it on is my 10.5" barrel 300blk SBR. With my current set up with the suppressor and 1-4X scope mounted it weighs 9lbs 6 oz which feels kinda heavy to me. 24oz of that are from the suppressor, so the weight savings for the Harvester would put me in the 8.5 lb range. I don't normally do any mag dumps so I don't think I'd overheat the can. I'm just wondering if the 1.375" Diameter vs the normal 1.5" diameter for 30 cal cans cuts down the volume enough to reduce suppression. The Griffin Sportsman DT also caught my eye at 11.9 oz and full size dimensions, 1.69" diameter and 8.6" long, but not sure if the aluminum baffle stack should worry me.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has shot the Harvester on 300blk. It would be nice if silencer shop would do a comparison video on it....
Last edited by wcoats on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcoats

Post by wcoats »

This is the only video I've found showing the Harvester on 300 blk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmarHvk1SV0

It looks like it performs pretty well. I know a video and actually being there in person isn't the same tho.
vetman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by vetman »

I already have one Harvester and just ordered a second one. First one is as good as my Specwar 7.62 on suppression. I have killed deer with both Suppressors and both never took a step.

I wish I had all Harvesters instead of the Specwar, but then I only shoot bolt action guns with my Suppressors.