AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300BLK SBR Build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Meridian
Silent Operator

AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300BLK SBR Build

Post by Meridian »

My goal for this build is to have a 300BLK SBR AR I can shoot safely without hearing protection, so the quieter the better. My priorities are sound suppression, accuracy, and weight in that order. I'm willing to use any combination of barrel length and suppressor as long as the distance from breech to suppressor muzzle is approx. 18" or less. I will be shooting suppressed with subsonic ammunition about 95% of the time. I do not plan to use the suppressor on another host at this time.

I tend to go OCD on these kind of things, so I've done a goodly amount of preliminary research. I've narrowed my choices down to the following 4 suppressors in no particular order:

AAC 762-SDN-6
SWR SPECWAR
YHM Phantom 7.62Ti (YHM-3400-Ti)
YHM Phantom LT (YHM-4300)

I do not see QD mounts as an advantage for me since I don't plan to switch hosts often (if at all). For that reason, I have a preference for direct-thread mounts. The SDN-6 seems to have an advantage in sound suppression, but the reports of problems with the 51T mounts make me concerned about accuracy and reliability. I haven't seen much on the Phantom LT, but it appears to offer an additional 3db reduction over the Phantom 7.62Ti according to the mfr. specs.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to hear any of these suppressors live in-person, and online videos haven't really helped me in determining the actual noise levels of these suppressors. So, I'm looking for some input regarding noise, accuracy, and weight from those of you who have used or have live-fire experience with these four in particular.

TIA for the replies.
msup752
Silent Operator

Re: AAC, SWR, or YHM for Quiet 300BLK SBR Build

Post by msup752 »

Not sure if this helps much but I went through the search a few months ago and narrowed my selection down to three of the four you listed (the LT was not yet out).

I opted for the YHM Ti and should get it sometime late winter or spring. My requirements were different than yours but based on my research, the Specwar fits your needs the most. It has great metering and is very accurate with minimal impact shift. But it is long and heavy to get those results.

The LT would be my second choice as it is shorter and meters very well on the 300 blk. The AAC has never won me over.
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

you might want to check out Thunderbeast they are making some shorter ones for Blackout guns. They have a 7" now that is just a couple decibels difference. This might be great on a 10" barrel. Keep in mind you will lose 1/2 to a full inch on nominal dimensions of the two components. I think they make a 5" too.

I wouldn't worry to much about decibels... they all are about the same. Pitch/timber of the round through it is probably more important than 2-5 decibels difference in loudness. Loudness changes with a variety of conditions and loads.

I just mounted a 9 inch SAS Arbiter on a 8.5 inch Rainier Arms barrel. Works great! But if I was doing this from scratch I would probably do a 10 inch barrel and 7 inch suppressor. Get a Ti can or something that's light (15 ounces) and don't worry so much about needing to open it. They clean just fine by soaking in Vinegar.

Always direct thread. Quick connect is a bunch of crap to me. Its just extra weight that serves no purpose except increasing the possibility of a baffle strike. Plus I want to someone to show us the QD feature after 50 rounds through it.
Last edited by sranch on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

I was always under the impression that direct thread suppressors tended to have less POI shift but also loosen through repeated firing. There really isn't a way to lock it in place, without welding it on. This would make it a better option for bolt action rifles than a semi-auto. A QD suppressor on the other hand locks into place, which would be better for semi-auto use.

Maybe I have my facts wrong, but that's what I remember reading. I also notice my thread-on .22 suppressor likes to back off after a magazine or two.
Last edited by RAPR on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meridian
Silent Operator

Post by Meridian »

sranch wrote:I wouldn't worry to much about decibels... they all are about the same. Pitch/timber of the round through it is probably more important than 2-5 decibels difference in loudness.
That's an interesting point. Which one has - or at least a reputation - for better sound (vs. loudness)?
Bullitt2075
Silent Operator

Post by Bullitt2075 »

I have well over 1000 rounds through my YHM Ti 7.62 QD suppressor. I use this suppressor on my 308 Keltec RFB, 300 blackout and my 5.56 AR. Never had a baffle strike and I have 0 POI shift out to 100 yards. I love this suppressor and I can use it on my 300 blackout indoors with no hearing protection. All I hear is the mechanics moving back an forth.
Meridian
Silent Operator

Post by Meridian »

Many thanks to you all for the replies and input. I narrowed my choices down to the 762-SDN-6 and the SPECWAR 762. Unfortunately, neither come with a direct-thread option. However, the SPECWAR QD mount is reputed to offer a better lock-up (and, thus, more consistency) than the 51T. The SPECWAR is slightly longer (~1-3/8") and a little heavier (~4oz) but seemed to have the edge in noise reduction in most comparisons I was able to find. Although the SDN-6 is slightly shorter and lighter, the potential for problems with the 51T mount and AAC customer service gave me cause for concern and ultimately tipped the balance. So, I decided to go with the SPECWAR.

Liberty, YHM, and SWR/Silencero (once I found the right person), were all very prompt and very helpful in pre-sales support/Q&A, etc.. In particular, I want to thank Gary at SWR/Silencerco, Richard & Stu at Liberty, and Randy at SilencerShop.com for their advice. I still haven't heard anything back from AAC.

Now the wait....
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

Meridian wrote:Many thanks to you all for the replies and input. I narrowed my choices down to the 762-SDN-6 and the SPECWAR 762. Unfortunately, neither come with a direct-thread option. However, the SPECWAR QD mount is reputed to offer a better lock-up (and, thus, more consistency) than the 51T. The SPECWAR is slightly longer (~1-3/8") and a little heavier (~4oz) but seemed to have the edge in noise reduction in most comparisons I was able to find. Although the SDN-6 is slightly shorter and lighter, the potential for problems with the 51T mount and AAC customer service gave me cause for concern and ultimately tipped the balance. So, I decided to go with the SPECWAR.

Liberty, YHM, and SWR/Silencero (once I found the right person), were all very prompt and very helpful in pre-sales support/Q&A, etc.. In particular, I want to thank Gary at SWR/Silencerco, Richard & Stu at Liberty, and Randy at SilencerShop.com for their advice. I still haven't heard anything back from AAC.

Now the wait....
This sums up my thoughts exactly. I just bought a new suppressor (Thunderbeast) but if the 762-SDN-6 and the SPECWAR 762 or was available in direct thread locally I would have purchased them. Especially the SPECWAR....thought that was pretty good.

Suppressor manufacturers need to have a credit program for gun shops. I get so tired of shops saying "we can order you one". Yeah and spend another 2-3 months with a Form 3? FAIL. The product needs to be on the shelf so it can go straight to Form 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumb businesses.
tinman

Post by tinman »

Where are you located at? It would be great if you can find someone in your area that has a few you can actually hear in action. When I bought mine I found a guy who had one and that opened my eyes and ears a lot in what to expect. Online videos are cool and such but just really don't do justice on what to expect sound wise. I have aac cyclone and many different rifles threaded for the can, I do my own threading so just about any rifle I have I thread 5/8 24tpi for use with suppressor or a muzzle brake. If you are close by you are more than welcome to come check out.

James
www.epsbullets.com
JoeFirearms

Post by JoeFirearms »

For anyone in Utah, We(JoeFirearms.com) have A SWR Specwar 7.62, Yankee Hill 7.62 Ti as wll as a 7.62 Stainless, and a AAC 762sdn6. These are all available to test (with us). Of the three I would say that I like the Yankee Hill for weight, the AAC is shorter but there is a audible difference is noise reduction (its louder than the YHM or SWR). I have not shot the Specwar much yet.