is there any rounds that should not be fired thru your can

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jackson
Silent Operator

is there any rounds that should not be fired thru your can

Post by jackson »

i thought that i had read some where that you should not shoot boat tail bullets thru a silencer that they would not stabilize if they were subsonic ,is this true
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Re: is there any rounds that should not be fired thru your c

Post by dead-bird »

I have used .50, .338, .30, and .223 boat tail bullets with no issues.
That being said, I do all inital load testing without the suppressors to test for any issues.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

dead-bird wrote:...That being said, I do all inital load testing without the suppressors to test for any issues.
Ditto

I have 2 short bbl AR uppers in 5.56, both of which give poor accuracy (on the order of 6"-8" groups at 34 yards when using commercially sold/packaged Winchester 55gr fmj bullets; they give fine accuracy with other brands including military pulls). Although I didn't see any sideways hits on paper, those uppers will not be used suppressed with those Winchester bullets for fear of them being unstable.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Whole Bunches wrote:
dead-bird wrote:...That being said, I do all inital load testing without the suppressors to test for any issues.
Ditto

I have 2 short bbl AR uppers in 5.56, both of which give poor accuracy (on the order of 6"-8" groups at 34 yards when using commercially sold/packaged Winchester 55gr fmj bullets; they give fine accuracy with other brands including military pulls). Although I didn't see any sideways hits on paper, those uppers will not be used suppressed with those Winchester bullets for fear of them being unstable.
I have run every single size and shape through my 300 BLK with a can except for the MBC 245g because I haven't had the time to test them yet and am finalizing some 300 BLK loads for my rifle.

Whole Bunches - 6"-8" groups at 34 yards is shocking to say the least. I wouldn't be buying any of those anytime soon.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I had bought 2K back in the day when 55gr fmj's were scarce. Yes I vowed to never buy that brand/style again. Later I found Internet posts indicating that such bullets do not always have a sterling reputation for accuracy. They do shoot OK for plinking in my other uppers. My uppers that don't like them are a 7.5" CMMG and a 10.3" Daniel Defense, both of which are 1 in 7" twist. Hornady makes the most accurate 55gr fmj's in my and others' opinions.

Note: I should have added that I've never shot the 7.5" bbl suppressed, as I feel that length in 5.56 is too short for suppressing and could damage the suppressor due to high pressure and sandblasting effect of burning powder, but if I did, I wouldn't use the Winchester bullets.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Whole Bunches wrote:I had bought 2K back in the day when 55gr fmj's were scarce. Yes I vowed to never buy that brand/style again. Later I found Internet posts indicating that such bullets do not always have a sterling reputation for accuracy. They do shoot OK for plinking in my other uppers. My uppers that don't like them are a 7.5" CMMG and a 10.3" Daniel Defense, both of which are 1 in 7" twist. Hornady makes the most accurate 55gr fmj's in my and others' opinions.

Note: I should have added that I've never shot the 7.5" bbl suppressed, as I feel that length in 5.56 is too short for suppressing and could damage the suppressor due to high pressure and sandblasting effect of burning powder, but if I did, I wouldn't use the Winchester bullets.
All smart choices
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
BRDTX

Post by BRDTX »

I saw somewhere you shouldn't shoot frangible through a can unless it is jacketed, is that right?
gclark94560

Post by gclark94560 »

My understanding is that the boat tail bullet only offers benefits at sub sonic speeds. They are for long range shooting where the bullet will have slowed a lot before reaching the target.

The air flow is smoother over the tail - but only at sub sonic speeds.
07FFL - Please visit www.GunBuilds.com
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

The super sonic shock wave does not totally eliminate the boattail bullet effect at supersonic speeds, tho the base drag affect is greatest at subsonic velocity.

Two .55gr bullets starting out at 3000fps.
The same except one flat base, one boattale.
At 500 yds the boattail bullet will have about 130fps advantage and both are still supersonic.
Nathan-UK
Silent Operator

Post by Nathan-UK »

I shoot supersonic 62 and 69 grain boat tails through my 16" .223 Spikes upper (1:9) with a QD suppressor and it has the same accuracy as without the suppresor.