SBR with removeable can, or pin-weld can to 16" OAL

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ben589

SBR with removeable can, or pin-weld can to 16" OAL

Post by ben589 »

I have already paid a lawyer to establish a trust for me. That is done, and I have submitted a form 4 for a .45 cal suppressor for another rifle. (.44mag/spl levergun).

That I can handle.

While that is being processed, I've been researching the 300 BLK and SBR issues, but I'm still a little intimidated at potential NFA guidelines for an SBR, namely engraving a lower, potential issues keeping the SBR in the same household as non SBR registered lowers, etc.

And I'm thinking it may be less hassle to just maintain 16" oal and get a 10" barrel 300 and pin-weld a can onto it.

Is it really that big of a deal with the SBR issues in relation to simply considering it a 16" integrally suppressed?
ben589

Re: SBR with removeable can, or pin-weld can to 16" OAL

Post by ben589 »

I will add that I have no interest in the 5.56, and have owned and sold 4 of them in 20 years trying ...

My only other AR is a .50 Beowulf, and the only other firearms I own of .30 cal or less are a few .22LR collectables that I would never modify for a can, and a 300 winmag bolt action that I just don't see as practical to suppress.

I can't imagine what I would use a 300 BLK can for aside from leaving it as a permanent fixture on a 300 blk upper anyway.

The Ti-Rant can I have can be used on my .44 rifle and I suppose my .40 and .45 pistols if I wish, so that one I could move around.

My standard to to hunting rifle is a .35 whelen so I just don't have much of an investment in 7.62 or smaller.
Last edited by ben589 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Wildcat »

Ben,
I have a similar situation, but it is the state law of no SBR's that is stopping me from going the "correct" way.

Here is the option I am going with... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/35524 ... _SBRs.html

However for you, by the time you pay for the custom work, it may cost the same as a tax stamp and engraving work.

I did extensive research on a pinned suppressor and for me, I decided thread on because I didn't want to weld a titanium suppressor to a stainless barrel. The two dissimmilar metals will eventually corrode. I will be able to clean and worry about a cleaning patch falling into the suppressor.

Just another note, by going the trust route, you can think of a suppressor as a long term investment. You may not have a use for a 30 caliber suppressor outside of the 300 BLK but one of your co-trustees may have a use for it.
For LC Headstamp converted to 300 BLK check out my listing
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=79352
-Wildcat
ben589

Post by ben589 »

I decided what I'm going to do this time around is go with an AR45 for my SBR build. I already have an AAC .45 Ti-Rant can, and I can put that onto an AR45 without any issue to keep the SBR format I wanted, and frankly, I have 20+ years of 45acp experience under my belt, so I think that will work fine.

I do have a stripped lower collecting dust in my workshop though, so I think this summer when my son comes to visit me, I'll get him to help me build a 16" 300 BLK from that lower as a father-son project and we'll just call it "ours".

That way, I don't have to buy another suppressor, and I can build a nice 16" upper for the cost of a suppressor + NFA stamp.
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

My 8" Noveske with exstension so I can slip my suppressor in when my form 1 comes back.
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

If you handload, you will not want a can attached when you are testing loads for stability. The above idea with the shroud would be the way to go.
-Dan
kwikrnu
Silent Operator

Post by kwikrnu »

Just make a pistol. No barrel length issues. No informing the feds when crossing state lines. If you want to make a rifle from a pistol you can always make it back into a pistol.
shabba
Senior Silent Operator

Post by shabba »

loki weapons systems have recently started making uppers with cans permantly attached so you would only need one stamp. check them out, send an email
and tell them scott sent you!
a wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer Bruce Lee
BLAKE2131

Post by BLAKE2131 »

You could look at the Liberty Leonidas if you want a integral its pretty damn quiet lol

We can make it 1 of 2 ways

Pinned shroud but you can take out the core for cleaning or...

Completely disassemble so you can clean every nook and cranny but youll need a pistol or SBR lower

http://www.libertycans.net/leonidas.html
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

Pin/weld is too restrictive. Engraving is cheap. There are no legal worries having an SBR in the same safe with unregistered lowers.

Would I keep a short upper in the same safe with an unregistered lower while my SBR lower is waiting for the stamp? I could, by assembling it as a pistol. Then, when the SBR stamp comes back, simply assemble the SBR and use the unregistered lower to make a rifle.

I didn't do that myself - I simply kept the upper in a completely different location while I waited for my SBR stamp. No constructive intent if the parts aren't in the same place.