picking a suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ely

picking a suppressor

Post by ely »

how does a guy go about picking a suppressor from whats available, without having any prior experience. all i am trying to achieve is dead silence out of an encore barrel. i have looked at the vids on youtube and can tell the AR platform is fairly quiet but i have not seen anyone shooting a bolt gun yet.

any advice will be welcome.
Bugg77
Silent Operator

Re: picking a suppressor

Post by Bugg77 »

ely wrote:how does a guy go about picking a suppressor from whats available, without having any prior experience. all i am trying to achieve is dead silence out of an encore barrel. i have looked at the vids on youtube and can tell the AR platform is fairly quiet but i have not seen anyone shooting a bolt gun yet.

any advice will be welcome.
Pretty much all of the suppressors provide 29-34 db of sound reduction. Then you start looking at other factors:
Cost
Weight
Length
POI Shift (not a big deal if you leave the suppressor on all the time)
Material

Look at those and other factors for what fits your needs.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

ely wrote:all i am trying to achieve is dead silence out of an encore barrel.
I'm sure you know this is impossible. Outside of .22, this is the quietest I've seen (AAC Integral 300 BLK with rem 220 gr ammo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Q7EsIP ... re=related
ely wrote:i have looked at the vids on youtube and can tell the AR platform is fairly quiet but i have not seen anyone shooting a bolt gun yet.
The AR as a platform is typically loud, especially compared to a bolt gun. 300 BLK in an AR is as close to 'quiet' as they get. Videos (especially on the web) are less than worthless for determining sounds.

The best way to buy a silencer is to find a dealer nearby that will demo stuff for you, or perhaps fellow shooters in your area that have some cans they will let you try.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

Check out www.thearmouryguns.com very cost effective 30 Cal suppressor they also have a integral 300 blackout upper also.
ely

Post by ely »

thanks for the responses so far, i am going to have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a class three dealer. as close to dead silent as i can get will suffice. :lol:
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

ely wrote:thanks for the responses so far, i am going to have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a class three dealer. as close to dead silent as i can get will suffice. :lol:

Subsonic 300 BLK from a bolt gun through a good 7.62 can is as close to quiet as you can get. it sounds very nice.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
ely

Post by ely »

im going to build mine on an encore barrel so it should be the same as a bolt gun.
Kublah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kublah »

Ugh I hope you're ready for some waiting. Took the ATF a good 5 months to get my suppressor from AAC to my dealer, and now it has been over two months and the ATF has signed for my paperwork, but has not yet even cashed my check.
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

I paid for a yhm suppressor in stock at my dealer in VA early Nov. Police chief signed 2 days later. Sent the paperwork to the ATF&E same day, check was cashed within 4 days so hopefully my dealer will be getting my paperwork with stamp back by May-June.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I went with a Suppressed Armament Systems (SAS) .30 Cal can last year before I even knew about the 300 BLK. I am very glad I did. First of all I can shoot my .308 AR without ear plugs down in a ravine where the sound waves bounce back at the shooter. If I can shoot a .308 without ear pro here, this can works. It is also rated for my 300 Win Mag bolt gun. I don't know how many rounds without ear pro I'd be up for but it can be done. It helps tame the recoil of the 300 WM as well.

Now that I've come across the 300 BLK, I am glad I will be able to use it for this round as well. I went with the Titanium version because in the scheme of things another $200 so I could have a 12 oz .30 Cal suppressor was worth every penny. You read that right, 12 oz for the can. I have no stake in the company, in fact the company is dang near impossible to get ahold of as it's a two person show. One office lady and one manufacturing dude.

http://www.suppressedarmament.com/762-s ... biter.html

I went through Mile High Shoooting Accessories in Colorado. They are great to deal with. They are very busy too but have always gotten back to me when I left a message on their voice mail. They are very knowledgeable and helpful with my dumb questions. I live in Oregon and they helped me all the way.

I like the fact that I can have either a flash hider or muzzle brake mount for the same can. This is the only suppressor for this price that allows me to have a break on my 300 WM and a flash hider on my .308 and .223 AR rifles all for the same 12 oz suppressor.

If you can't tell, I really like my can!