Cast bullets through an AAC suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

vondelta

Cast bullets through an AAC suppressor

Post by vondelta »

Will I run into issues firing cast 247gr bullets through the AAC 762-SDN-6? I really want to cast cheap subsonic bullets, but am concerned about leading in the suppressor. Since the bullet doesn't touch the suppressor, it shouldn't cause leading, correct?
Cheetah

Re: Cast bullets through an AAC suppressor

Post by Cheetah »

A certain amount of lead is vaporized by the burning of the powder and the general heat associated with firing a shot. A 22lr bullet never contacts a dedicated 22lr suppressor, but you still see leading there.

If you shoot cast through an N6, you'll see leading issues before too long.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

vondelta wrote:Will I run into issues firing cast 247gr bullets through the AAC 762-SDN-6? I really want to cast cheap subsonic bullets, but am concerned about leading in the suppressor. Since the bullet doesn't touch the suppressor, it shouldn't cause leading, correct?
If you fire a "few" then a bunch of full power ammo it will get rid of most of the leading.. But if you shoot a lot you will have problems..

I love my MYSTIC! Lighter than my Cyclone-K and QUIET. (It is take apart.)

Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

vondelta wrote:Will I run into issues firing cast 247gr bullets through the AAC 762-SDN-6? I really want to cast cheap subsonic bullets, but am concerned about leading in the suppressor. Since the bullet doesn't touch the suppressor, it shouldn't cause leading, correct?

My experience with the 'bison boolit' was no leading but a bit of lube build up. Someone posted how 'the dip' is good at getting lead out but not lube build up. They said to use another dip solution to disolve lube build up but I cannot remember what it was. Perhaps someone will chime in.
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

I too bought that mold and have used it. Have worked out subsonic loads with it.

Have shot tens of thousands of cast bullets in compensated 38 Super pistols. Comps have to be cleaned regularly as bullet lube gets misted with lead into the comp and it accumulates. Is not that easy to get out.

As a result, I am waiting for the Form 4 to clear for a user serviceable 9mm can to shoot the 247s suppressed.
Alangaq
Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

if i remember correctly, all that is needed to disolve bullet lube is warm mineral spirits (stodard solvent) it is in most cases 50% wax...
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

My standard pistol cleaning station when I did a lot of IPSC shooting was in fact a 5 gallon can of varsol (mineral spirits). Does get pretty much everything out easily ... except the crap in the compensator. Had to scrap that out and finish it with a brush.

The ammo being fired through the Supers was hard cast supersonics. The crud in the compensator was a mix of bullet lub and finely divided bullet material. Wasn't that easy to clean out.

Given the cost of a good can ... I personally will wait.