51T wobble

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

roxy
Silent Operator

51T wobble

Post by roxy »

Any one else bothered by the 51T mount can wobble? I have 3 51T Blackout mounts & 1 51T Brake & all 4 back off 1 click & allow the can to wobble! I know AAC considers this to be OK..., but 2 of my rigs are built for longer range accuracy w/dedicated optics. I can't help but believe that the can must wobble, or bounce from the muzzle blast and negatively effect accuracy!! :shock:

Accuracy is all about consistency..., but how it's consistent can u b with something bouncing around on the muzzle! Or am I over thinking this?

Any opinions :?:
SBR Gibbz G4 8.5" CMMG 300 Blk 1:7" WASP
Gibbz G4 16" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blk 1:7"
Savage AXIS 16.5" BFG 300 Blk 1:7"
Ruger ARR 16.5" 1:7"
Saker 762
SDN-6
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: 51T wobble

Post by JasonM »

roxy wrote:Any one else bothered by the 51T mount can wobble? I have 3 51T Blackout mounts & 1 51T Brake & all 4 back off 1 click & allow the can to wobble! I know AAC considers this to be OK..., but 2 of my rigs are built for longer range accuracy w/dedicated optics. I can't help but believe that the can must wobble, or bounce from the muzzle blast and negatively effect accuracy!! :shock:

Accuracy is all about consistency..., but how it's consistent can u b with something bouncing around on the muzzle! Or am I over thinking this?

In my experience, none of the cans wobble, but rather rotate at most the distance of one tooth. And this goes away after a mag or two of shooting.

In terms of accuracy, I've not experienced any problems.

That said, if a long range accuracy rig was my gun, I'd run a CYCLONE.

Do you have documented accuracy issues from your setup?
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Mandatory Cyclone-K plug.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

JasonM wrote:
roxy wrote:Any one else bothered by the 51T mount can wobble? I have 3 51T Blackout mounts & 1 51T Brake & all 4 back off 1 click & allow the can to wobble! I know AAC considers this to be OK..., but 2 of my rigs are built for longer range accuracy w/dedicated optics. I can't help but believe that the can must wobble, or bounce from the muzzle blast and negatively effect accuracy!! :shock:

In my experience, none of the cans wobble, but rather rotate at most the distance of one tooth. And this goes away after a mag or two of shooting.
The rotation is there..., but my SDN-6 also has a definite wobble. On all 4 of my 51T mounts it moves more than 1/16", up & down & side to side at the business end!!

100-200 yards my group opens up about 30% when shooting suppressed with good optics & tuned handloads!
Saker 762
SDN-6
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

Have you put a caliper to that? 1/16" = .0625" which is, I'd wager, outside of the margin for error on a .308" projectile.

Perhaps you got a bad can or something, but I've not seen said wobble on my SDN-6 or M42K with my 51T's.
HiCapMag

Post by HiCapMag »

See comments by BayouRobert........

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost2680779
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

That is a great post.

I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time swapping my SDN 6 across various mounts, but I will in the near future...

I will be curious to see how that plays out, as I have multiple guns with mounts for a M42K and SDN6. I don't think I can use Bayou Robert's fix if I want to use both can's on the same gun.

I would imagine AAC will address this issue if it turns out to be a real problem.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

just be glad you don't run a 18T ... they are worse!

well this bites !! I just ordered a sdn-6 ... now I wish I hadn't ! I said I would not buy another AAC QD after AAC blew me off about my 18T m4-1000 getting loose ... If I end up spending another $1300 on another loose can , I think I'm "gonna Loose it"
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

HiCapMag wrote:See comments by BayouRobert........

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost2680779
Awesome link!! Thanks HiCapMag!

I used that technique (wooden dowel & Drill Press 5/16" for 556 and 3/8" for 762) to modify all 4 of my 51T mounts. My SDN-6 now positively engages the last possible tooth on all 4 mounts with no wobble what-so-ever!!

BUT..., here's the bad news..., with all of the putting the can on & off the mounts in the process, checking so as not to go too far, apparently I have worn the engagement surface of the latch down! :shock: Even though the latch will now completely engage the last possible tooth of each mount, the can will twist right off with very little effort, without catching any teeth on the way off..., just making the same ratcheting noise as when you install it! :oops: :cry:

Now I guess the SDN-6 will have to go back to AAC for a new latch..., which might very possibly start the whole wobble syndrome all over again :cry:

Why doesn't AAC just manufacture all the mounts with a consistent relationship/alignment between the Acme threads & mount teeth, and then index the threads & Ratchet latch on all the cans accordingly so all cans fit all mounts correctly:?:
With the price of these cans & mounts we shouldn't have to deal with any of these kinds of issues :!:
Saker 762
SDN-6
Blackwind

Post by Blackwind »

Great post. Wonder where the YouTube video will see the light of day. :mrgreen: