First shots through new pistol and suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jellysick

First shots through new pistol and suppressor

Post by Jellysick »

Hi all,

My form 4 is finally approved. I also have a new 300blk pistol that has never been shot. Are there certain precautions that need to be taken to make sure the 300blk pistol shoots a given round properly prior to attaching the suppressor? I'm specifically referring to making sure the round doesn't keyhole slightly after leaving the muzzle as its going through the suppressor. Or is this not a concern? All will be factory loaded ammo for now (supersonic and subsonic), but after that will be subsonic reloads.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: First shots through new pistol and suppressor

Post by bearcatrp »

1st thing is make sure it shoots without feeding issues. You can install a adjustable gas block or a heavier buffer to try 1st. Change the buffer 1st. If you can't do a mag dump without jamming, you have issues.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Most reputable barrel manufacturers are going to produce barrels that don't have alignment issues. Its not completely unheard of to have a quality control issue here and there, but I suspect that most of us do not check for muzzle thread/bore alignment prior to shooting with a suppressor. There are tools available that you can use to check, but I have not used one. I would certainly use one on lesser quality barrels or on cheaply made rifles like most AK variants, for example.

If you have a quality barrel, from a quality manufacturer, then what I would suggest you check is that the particular load you are using is going to be stabilized properly by your barrel prior to putting a suppressor on. Depending on your twist rate, some bullets may be under-stabilized and this could cause issues. So, be sure to put your loads on paper and check for key-holing prior to putting the can on.
Jellysick

Post by Jellysick »

This is exactly the info I was hoping for, thank you.

I have a 8.3" 300 Blackout Ballistic Advantage Hanson Pistol Length barrel with low profile gas block (not adjustable at the moment). I believe the twist rate is 1:7.

So, mag dump to verify cycling capability, then observation of paper targets to ensure no keyholing exists. Then on with the suppressor! Sound like a plan?
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I would also shoot a bunch of rounds loaded one per mag to check and make sure the BCG locks back. Obviously not for the can but for function. But that doesn't mean you can't see what the bullets are doing on paper.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jellysick wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:09 am This is exactly the info I was hoping for, thank you.

I have a 8.3" 300 Blackout Ballistic Advantage Hanson Pistol Length barrel with low profile gas block (not adjustable at the moment). I believe the twist rate is 1:7.

So, mag dump to verify cycling capability, then observation of paper targets to ensure no keyholing exists. Then on with the suppressor! Sound like a plan?
Yes, a very bad one.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jellysick

Post by Jellysick »

Yes, a very bad one.
I can't say that helps much. If you care to elaborate I'm sure that might clear things up.

I'm not going to go blast through a mag on a new pistol. I'm going to slow fire, single shot, checking everything. My reply was in response to other suggestions as well.
Jellysick

Post by Jellysick »

BJK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm I would also shoot a bunch of rounds loaded one per mag to check and make sure the BCG locks back. Obviously not for the can but for function. But that doesn't mean you can't see what the bullets are doing on paper.
Agreed, appreciate it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jellysick wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:41 pm
BJK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm I would also shoot a bunch of rounds loaded one per mag to check and make sure the BCG locks back. Obviously not for the can but for function. But that doesn't mean you can't see what the bullets are doing on paper.
Agreed, appreciate it.
That pretty well nails it. Add in what the duck said and you're well on the way.

You will want a very stiff target backing, and be shooting as square as possible to the target face. As short as distance as possible without powder burns on the paper. 10 yards is fine, but the farther the distance the less you are checking stability at the muzzle.

No reason to not check stability and function at the same time, more so in times of short supplies.

It's simple enough to check alignment by just sighting through the bore with the BCG out. If it's bad enough for a baffle strike you will see it.

Don't be surprised of you don't have full function with subs, with or without the suppressor until you have a few hundred rounds through the rifle, so start with supers checking function and don't get frustrated if subs are erratic.

Don't even consider a mag dump with the suppressor on until you have shot enough cold/hot/cold/hot cycles with it on to know that the suppressor and or the mount don't come loose. Check it every round the first few shots and often the first 100 rounds.

Repeat all stability checks with your handloads. Always check stability with new load combinations and start at a high velocity. If it's barely stable at 1000 but not at 900 fps. poking a hole in your can is a tough way to find out. A chronograph is highly recommended.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jellysick

Post by Jellysick »

Thanks for the suggestions.

The suppressor I purchased will not be seeing any mag dumps. I don't really shoot that way anyways, aside from if there is value in a faster pace dump of a mag to verify function.