Worth the risk to shoot cast through a can?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Worth the risk to shoot cast through a can?

Post by jtaylor996 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:52 pm

After a year wait, I finally got my Nomad, and now I need to feed it with subs.

Is it worth the risk running cast or coated bullets through the can, or should I stick with jacketed?

My can can't really be cleaned except maybe via ultrasonic (which I don't even have).

Thanks!

BulletFlight for Android
BJK
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Worth the risk to shoot cast through a can?

Post by BJK » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 pm

I can't answer your question, but you can also put machined homogeneous alloy bullets through it.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm

a basic ultrasonic cleaner can be had for under $100. i think i paid around $60 or so for mine with one of the 20% off coupons @ hazard fraught (harbor freight)

plus.. being a subsonic shooter.... being able to clean your bolt carrier groups with not much more than a nylon brush and a wipe from a rag is priceless. i disassemble mine, put them in for about 8 mins and its the easiest you'll ever spend cleaning a BCG - you can literally watch the carbon coming off during the tank process. looks like little wisps of smoke coming off of a smoldering piece of wood.

also iffin you have handguns, cleaning them after a swim in the Ultrasonic is a treat.

HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:23 am

I've been shooting cast/coated subs for years without issue.

golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am

I shoot powder coated bullets through my Mystic X. They do deposit lead in it. Not much but enough that I decided I'm not going to shoot coated bullets through any of my sealed cans.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 pm

golfindia wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am
I shoot powder coated bullets through my Mystic X. They do deposit lead in it. Not much but enough that I decided I'm not going to shoot coated bullets through any of my sealed cans.
which PC bullets?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:05 am

He casts and powder coats his own. I do too. If you reload it's very easy. If the bullet is powder coated, sized and loaded correctly, it should not be an much of an issue for subs.

In 6K+ rounds, my can has added 1 oz of weight, although I cant say if its from the carbon or lead.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.