Suppressor mounting advice for my application?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gunundermybed

Suppressor mounting advice for my application?

Post by gunundermybed »

New to this forum! Just assembled my first 300aac firearm. the upper has a 8.5 inch barrel with the 5/8 x 24 brake threading.

Soon to purchase a Silencerco Omega 9k for this gun. The gun was mainly built to be very short/ very light /shoot-able without having ears on.
The can will be on this firearm only and not used on others. It will stay on always and only be removed for cleaning once every millennia.

Should I direct thread or purchase another kind of mount? I am weary of the can working loose in any situation and under fire. I would like the lightweight and shortness of direct thread but it must be dead reliable in staying on until I decide to clean it.

Is there a better/ lockable mount that is worth the weight and length?
Have you had good luck with direct threading on 5/8 x 24 muzzles?
Is there any tricks / safe ways to torque the can on where it wont damage the threads and isnt permanently fixed?
Is 300aac too hot for tri lug mounts?

Is there heat safe thread locking fluid that wont be a bear to remove?

Thank you for any help! This is my first suppressor and my first 300aac so I am a newbie to this stuff.
RKB731

Re: Suppressor mounting advice for my application?

Post by RKB731 »

If this will be the only host for the can, go direct thread. The only time I use QD is when I need to quickly change out.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
Snozzelquaf

Post by Snozzelquaf »

New to the forum and have practical experience with it, but i would explore surefires options..

Specifically the new Socom series of muzzle devices that have a quick connect configuration. With its respective socom suppressor you're looking at a win-win.

To my understanding these were Specifically designed for Socom and are rock solid and battle proven.. current military issue
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I've had a Surefire and their QD mount (not the Socom, their FA556k) for quite a few years now and I like it. But for my latest build that will wear it's can close to 100% of the time I went direct thread. OK, with the can I have there is no other option, but I went into that with my eyes wide open and this use in mind for it. Just check it after it heats up and snug it up. No big deal.

If your can went from rifle to rifle the same as my FA556k does then a QD mount makes huge sense.

HK tri lug mounts? They have it as an option for my Dead Air Ghost-M and while I don't use a tri-lug on it for my 300BLK it's an option. I don't think it would be if there was a problem. The Ghost also only handles subsonic loads.