Talk me into or out of a Rebel SOS Hunter Gen II

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Talk me into or out of a Rebel SOS Hunter Gen II

Post by GunFunZS »

So item 1 is that I probably won't get anything more expensive than that in the next year or two, and my state's current politics are ominous.
It's kind of a get one or don't situation, and I think I actually want this one on its own merits.

It will live on a 10.5" upper and mostly shoot cast bullets. I will probably get the NOE TACO mold, though I currently have a mold which works okay for subs.

I don't shoot beltfed full auto, but do like to do action shooting. I think it is unlikely that I will every dump more than a couple three mags through it in a 4 minute period, and that very seldom.

Additional info: My friends and I have a tradition of buying the groom a gun when he gets married. I got married a couple years ago, and people chipped in, but not much. It was too many weddings in a row and they were getting pretty low on spending money. Best man informed me that he has about $300 to go toward whatever I want, and is apologetic at the amount. I am grateful for that amount. Thinking about what would be the most long term pleasure to own and what would feel special, A silencer resonates with me.

I was originally thinking of something like a 6" S&W model 66, or a shaved Webley MkVI, but I think I want a silencer. As it is, coming up with the tax stamp money will be a stretch for me right now. So in practice, it's this or something priced similarly or nothing.

Do you know of viable alternatives, or have direct experience with rebel products? Most of what I have been able to get from those who do own them is very positive. TTAG has a negative review, but it really looks to me like he put the can on a crooked gun. (prior version of this can on an early RARR, concentricity and alignment not checked.)
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Talk me into or out of a Rebel SOS Hunter Gen II

Post by golfindia »

Using an aluminum can on an SBR is sketchy, and all those screw together joints give me the tolerance stacking heebie jeebies.

With $350 you could get a set of high quality parts (Ti/SS) to build your own can that sounds good and will last a long time.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Source for those parts?
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

That is appealing. I sure wouldn't want to be placing orders until my F1 was cleared though.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

If they can sell it to you, you can buy it.

Just don't drill holes in anything until you get the green stamp.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

I have two of the first generation SOS Hunters. I’ve been running them on everything I have between .22lr to .308. The majority of the time they are on my Ruger Predator in .22lr (only 2 stacks used) and my RARR in 300blk. For the money, I think they are hard to beat. Sure, they aren’t meant to handle full auto, but if I had the money to have a full auto gun and feed it ammo, I’d have a high end titanium can. They have performed great for me. I will say that I’m a freak about cleaning them though. The threads get pretty dirty, especially shooting .22 through them. I run high temp antiseize on each thread as well
nlvmike

Post by nlvmike »

I have one, and an original SOS556, and a handful of SOS22's. I also have some much more expensive cans. It's hard to even comment on them without getting flamed but here goes. I love them, and not just for the price. They work. I check the bore alignment on every can before I shoot it. I had one of the SOS22's with too much runout. I called and they sent me a new thread adapter the next day. That didn't work, so they had me drop it in the mail to them on Monday, and I had it back by Saturday.

They are not an all aluminum can. The tips of the baffles are pressed in stainless. I coat all of mine with Froglube and they just wipe clean. Not a big deal on the Hunter, but a huge deal on the 22's.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Thanks guys
This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

It looks like a friend and I are going to do the Form 1 option hopefully soon. Also I heard that Rebel closed down.