20/20 Hindsight

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

XDfan

20/20 Hindsight

Post by XDfan »

Hi all,

I started getting interested in getting a suppressor and have a question for you all. I bought two 14.5" barreled rifles in the past, 1 is a Daniel Defense and 1 is a Spike's Tactical. 20/20 Hindsight these rifles had to have pinned muzzle devices that are not compatible for suppressors to be attached to them as I was not able to look ahead and foresee that I would be interested in suppressors in the future. So my question is, can those 14.5" uppers be re-pinned again but with compatible muzzle devices that can accommodate a suppressor? Or are they forever stuck to the way they were built? I also heard about the SiCo deal last summer and heard that they often do deals like this. Is this an accurate statement? Thanks and I do appreciate all your inputs. I'm sure I will have more questions as things develop further.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 20/20 Hindsight

Post by dellet »

There is no legal issue with changing the mount as long as the finished barrel is 16” long.

Depending on how the original mount was installed, it might create a problem. That is best answered by who will be doing the work. An example would be if the shoulder on the barrel needs to be re-machined and set back, this might change the finished length.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

^ All this.

Just don't put the upper onto the lower while the barrel is below 16 inches in length.

You can remove the upper, do the work needed removing the old muzzle attachment and then put on the new one and pin/weld no problem. Gunsmiths do it every day. No laws are broken.

I can't tell you what sico does or doesn't do. Best advice is call and ask them.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

And if you take off the old muzzle device, make sure you have a way to permanently attach a new one.

You will have about a year to wait for a Form 4 can. Plenty of time to figure out a solution.