Liberty Chaotic Ti or Dead Air Nomad 30, or?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty Chaotic Ti or Dead Air Nomad 30, or?

Post by Ben B. »

The problem with punching the wipe is you need to punch dead center where the bullet will strike the wipe when the wipe is installed. If you are not dead on, you get drag on one side instead of the wipe dragging pretty well equally on all sides.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

A dead center punched hole is not hard to achieve in a wipe. Get a punch of the correct size. Then have a machinist make a jig that centers the wipe and the punch. Put the wipe in place and then put the punch through the hole. Mine have a full length hole bored for the punch to insure alignment. Then punch it out. Works every time. I actually have 2 of these since the punch ODs are different. One is sized for a .22 hole and the other for .30 and up.

Mine are made of aluminum and are maybe 3-4" long. The place for the wipe is a hollowed out section with a tight fit, and again the punch goes right through the center. I need to use a hydraulic punch to punch out the 1 3/6" wipe, but the smaller center hole just requires the drill press. Maybe a hammer would do it but I never tried that.

Before those jigs I just fired through the wipe and the first bullet made it's own center hole.

If you need pictures I can comply.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

Haven't done it yet but was thinking I'd use a hole saw in a drill press. A hole saw with the ID I need to fit the can and with what I'm thinking I'll use a center drill bit the size of the meplat.

To be clear the can I ended up going with is the Energetic Armament VOX, I actually have both variants now. I also have a big roll of 1/8″ reinforced silicone sheet. My observations have noticed the decrease in accuracy caused by wipe varies based on wear. The first round through a new solid wipe is only slightly less accurate. But the next one more so as they don't tear evenly or the same each time. It then gets more accurate as the wipe wears out. A wipe with maybe a perfect .270" hole might be a perfect compromise. It's certainly quietest with an intact wipe but it's also quieter with a worn wipe than no wipe.

That or my thinking is to make a hole centered and just slightly larger than the size of the meplat. Or maybe pre-score an X so it rips predictably, or both. I need to do more experimenting. I've been working on silencing the cycling of the weapon and general accuracy, wipe experiments will come next I guess. The shortages caused by the recent panic, as well as the lack of places to shoot alone due to that same panic have slowed me down.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Shushh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm
John A. wrote:Just know that you can't make more than 1 replacement at a time.
Well to my understanding more accurately I can't even have more then one at a time. So I can't make another until I destroy the old one by cutting it up. But I should be able to make them on site. Take the old one out, cut it up, then punch another out of a sheet of silicone.
You understand that correctly. Destroy it with at least 4 cuts or incinerate it. Then when that is complete you can have a new one in hand. At any time you can only possess one wipe for the can.

I discussed using a hole saw with a friend and it was suggested to me to put the sheet in the freezer to stiffen it up. I never tried that, I'm just passing along an untested suggestion. I suspected it wouldn't be accurate enough. You might punch the center hole for the drill first.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

FWIW I now can have more than one wipe at time. I have two VOX cans with of course two stamps, so I can have two intact wipes. I can for example have one in one can, and one lose if the other can doesn't have one in it.

Freezer isn't a bad idea, and I had thought of doing the center hole first then using it as a guide. I was also thinking some scrap wood, sandwich the silicone between two pieces of wood and drill through them. I think the hardest part accuracy wise is the OD of the wipe. It'll need to exactly match the holder in the can or else the hole wont be centered in the can.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Yeah, I shouldn't have written "one wipe for the can" but "one wipe per can".
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

This is for everyone, not the OP.

Get what you really want. If it’s not in the budget, walk around the house/garage/workshop/barn and find stuff to sell until your budget expands. $50 here, $75 there. Most everyone has stuff to liquidate in a trade for something of quality.

This can is “forever”. Find a way to get exactly what you want. Every time you use it, you will appreciate the quality and not regret what it took to get it. It’s worth the extra effort for the additional cost.

Buy once, cry once.

I never regretted the money I spent on quality.