A few questions and suggestions for a new guy

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Lethalstorm

A few questions and suggestions for a new guy

Post by Lethalstorm »

Hello, I've been a long time lurker of these forums and have really appreciated all the posts. Ive spent quite a bit of time on here reading but figured it was finally time to jump in and post. I have a few questions and wanted some opinions as I think it is time to purchase my first silencer.

I've been looking at quite a few different options and I must admit it is a little intimidating. I have a few things I'd like to suppress mainly .22, 9mm, .45, a 9in 300 blk pistol, 16in 300 blk, 5.56 and a 30-06. I know I can't do it all with one can so I've been looking at getting several. Since Silencer shop seems to be the easiest way to go I've been looking at what they have to offer and Dead Air has got my attention. I figure that I should probably get the mask and with the promotion that is going on I should also pick up a ghost m since it is half price. I was also considering a sandman-l. With these three options it looks like I would cover almost everything.

I wanted to get your opinions and see if this is a good selection or if there are better options available. I've done quite a bit of research but the buying process is still a little foriegn to me. If I understand correctly I purchase off of silencer shop add in tax stamps and select a local dealer. Once I do that I can visit a kiosk and get all of my info including finger prints and photos done. Then it's just a waiting game. Am I missing anything? I mainly ask because I live in a rural area and my nearest dealer is over 100 miles away. I dont really want to make the trip only to find out I missed a step or something stupid.

It seems like getting a trust is the way to go. I was looking at silencer shops single shot trust as it seemed to simplify the process. Any disadvantages on going that route vs a regular trust?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but I can't really think of them at the moment. Mainly wanting some clarification on the buying process and to see if the silencers I was looking at are good options.
Thanks!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: A few questions and suggestions for a new guy

Post by Mike7.62 »

I don't know about the "single shot trust" but a regular trust will allow you to add people to it so that they may use the suppressor or other NFA item on the trust. It will also allow you to pass on your NFA items to family if you die, and it allows you to add other NFA items such as full auto firearms to the trust. IMO, if you are looking at any NFA items be it suppressors, SBR's, or full auto firearms, a trust is the cheapest and most beneficial way to go. I had mine set up through a lawyer for $150, and it was well worth the effort.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

I agree that using an attorney who specializes in NFA trusts is well worth the $100-$200 it typically costs. I did help a buddy do a Silencershop purchase just recently and it was very painless. They really have their 'stuff' together to make it easy.

As for your questions on specific cans, I would encourage you to do your research and then trust it. Bottom line is people are going to recommend what they have, for instance, I would tell you to get Silencerco because they have really treated me right and my cans have performed how I wanted them to. My purchasing decisions were made with my needs in mind though. Bottom line is that an updated suppressor from a current manufacturer is going to perform really well for you no matter who you get it from.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

NFA stuff can be transferred to heirs with a Form 5 upon death. No trust is required.

If you set up a trust for your buddies, every buddy will need to submit prints and photos with every acquisition. Not worth the hassle if it's just you using the stuff.
Lethalstorm

Post by Lethalstorm »

Thanks for the quick replies! There is a lot of good info here and gives me a few things to think about.

The way I understand how the silencer shop single shot trust works is it makes a trust for each item that you buy. Your then able to submit all the paper work and after everything is approved then you can add other people to the trust. Since it's for each item individually there is no need to get fingerprints for every person added.

It sounds really convenient. Kind of like all the pros of registering as an individual and the pros of a trust without the hassle.

I don't know. This NFA crap has a steep learning curve for a first time buyer.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

See Gentleman, apparently when a new member comes in and asks a well worded question, it is relatively easy to give informed responses and views without the new member getting all uptight.

Thank you Lethalstorm.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

gds wrote:See Gentleman, apparently when a new member comes in and asks a well worded question, it is relatively easy to give informed responses and views without the new member getting all uptight.

Thank you Lethalstorm.
That made me smile...
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

gds wrote:See Gentleman, apparently when a new member comes in and asks a well worded question, it is relatively easy to give informed responses and views without the new member getting all uptight.

Thank you Lethalstorm.
Does that mean no Free Oranges And Danish, My Friend?
Lethalstorm

Post by Lethalstorm »

Flatliner wrote:

Thank you Lethalstorm.
That made me smile...
Same here I had to laugh a little.

On another note anyone shoot powder coated lead bullets through their suppressors? I have a bunch of 245 gr Missouri bullet company bullets. Is it best to save those for a user serviceable can or is it ok to shoot those in a sealed can? I know you shouldn't shoot straight lead unless its user serviceable but wasn't sure if the powder coating made much of a difference.
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

I asked SilencerCo about shooting powder coated lead bullets through an osprey or omega and was told NO PROBLEM. Both are sealed cans.