A few questions and suggestions for a new guy

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Lethalstorm

Re: A few questions and suggestions for a new guy

Post by Lethalstorm »

DeadRaibead wrote:I asked SilencerCo about shooting powder coated lead bullets through an osprey or omega and was told NO PROBLEM. Both are sealed cans.
Thanks for the reply! I was also able to get ahold of Dead Air and they said basically the same thing. He said that shooting coated bullets would be fine but after 100 or so I should probably shoot some supers to keep the can from getting to dirty.

I went ahead and placed my order with Silencer Shop. Now to stop by a kiosk and wait for the ATF.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Man, I'm surprised they would suggest that. While coated bullets are usually fine, there may be some load development and/or brass prep issues that result in shaving and ultimately leading. I've had this happen while using my (serviceable) Liberty Mystic can. Fortunately I was able to clean the lead out. I won't be shooting coated bullets through a sealed can, at least until I prove out my process and load in a serviceable can, first.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I've shot a decent amount of bare lead and powder coated 30 cal bullets through my MysticX over the course of the last few years. While neither deposits 22LR levels of lead, both leave some behind in the can. Not much, but enough that I wouldn't shoot either in a sealed suppressor. But, to each their own.... I don't work at Silencerco.

If I ever get some Form 1s back, I'll let you know if powder coated 45acp rounds leave any lead deposits......
Lethalstorm

Post by Lethalstorm »

Thanks for the feedback. How do you guys like the Mystic X? It was on my list for quite some time but overall I decided to go with Dead Air. I liked the mounting system and the fact that Silencer Shop had a deal going were you buy one and get the Ghost 45m half off I was sold.

I think what I'll do is save the sealed can for jacketed bullets and use the Ghost m (since it is rated for 300 blackout subsonic and user serviceable) for my powder coated bullets.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

I really like my Mystic-X, especially with the upgraded core. It was my first can and now lives mostly in an AR9. I liked it enough to later by the Liberty Leonidas Ti, also servicable and very quiet, as AR's go. I also use the Mystic-X on my RARR and it's super quiet with Trailboss subs.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

If I could have only one can, it would be the MysticX. I have the old model, but the new ones will do 300WM with long enough barrel. I find that I use the mysticx more than other 30cal rifle cans on 300blackout because it's lighter and no POI shift. It works great on 9mm pistols. If I didnt already have other high power rifle cans, I'd send it in for a new core and it could cover just about everything.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

Flatliner wrote:I agree that using an attorney who specializes in NFA trusts is well worth the $100-$200 it typically costs. I did help a buddy do a Silencershop purchase just recently and it was very painless. They really have their 'stuff' together to make it easy.

As for your questions on specific cans, I would encourage you to do your research and then trust it. Bottom line is people are going to recommend what they have, for instance, I would tell you to get Silencerco because they have really treated me right and my cans have performed how I wanted them to. My purchasing decisions were made with my needs in mind though. Bottom line is that an updated suppressor from a current manufacturer is going to perform really well for you no matter who you get it from.
He is 100% right, on all points mentioned.

Side note, I did research and then let 3rd party info change my mind just before purchase. I enjoy my can, but wonder about my original can I was interested in. I enjoy the suppressors I have, but will probably end up getting another after my safe arrives.