Has anyone tested various bullet types with suppressors?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Has anyone tested various bullet types with suppressors?

Post by alamo5000 »

I know my title isn't very clear but here is what I mean, and I am being specific to 300 BLK.

With a standard FMJ there is no concern. At worst with a sealed can you will get some carbon build up depending of course on how dirty the powder is.

The stuff I am asking though is about the following:

Powder Coated bullets
Other coated bullets
Plated bullets
Plain lead bullets

With a sealed can this is of particular importance to know what you are getting yourself into.

That said now there are a lot of user serviceable cans out there (like the Griffin Optimus) that one could reasonably do a long term test with.

If you shoot 1000 rounds of plain lead subsonics what does the inside of the can look like?
If you shoot 1000 rounds of coated subsonics what does the inside of the can look like?
If you shoot 1000 rounds.... powder coated subsonics....
If you shoot 1000 rounds of FMJ subsonics .....

Ideally that would be done using the same powder etc and we can see the end results.

I don't know if it's been done before but I personally would love to see that kind of test and more importantly the results.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone tested various bullet types with suppressors?

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Generally speaking all bullets are silencer safe except naked ones. I have 10's of thousands of powder coated and Hi-tech coated bullets through my silencer without any noticeable problems. Knackered bullets are safe and that includes plates bullets.

As far as the deposits left by uncoated, lead bullets there are a lot of variables. The shorter the barrel the more lead will be deposited. Certain powders burn hotter causing more lead to be deposited inside the can. Improperly sized lead bullets will also cause more lead to be deposited because of gas cutting. Even brass that has not been prepped for lead bullets can cause problems.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Generally speaking all bullets are silencer safe except naked ones. I have 10's of thousands of powder coated and Hi-tech coated bullets through my silencer without any noticeable problems. Knackered bullets are safe and that includes plates bullets.

As far as the deposits left by uncoated, lead bullets there are a lot of variables. The shorter the barrel the more lead will be deposited. Certain powders burn hotter causing more lead to be deposited inside the can. Improperly sized lead bullets will also cause more lead to be deposited because of gas cutting. Even brass that has not been prepped for lead bullets can cause problems.
Thank you for the response. You seem like one of the go to people here :mrgreen: I am working up some loads with my first ever coated bullets. They are Hi Tech coated. It took me some tinkering to get the setup right. I am being extra careful to slightly bell the case mouth as to not scrape off the coating.

I am almost ready to try them with the can on.

So far the bullets themselves seem like they shoot pretty good given the limited time and resources I've put into it. I don't think I am getting the ideal velocity so I might try to tinker around with seating depth and see what happens. Right now the only powder I have is H110 which after the fact I have heard isn't the best for subsonics.

With 9.1 grains of H110 and the 217 grain Gallant bullet my velocity is pretty reliably 1130 to 1140 fps. Given today was 96 degrees. It was 93 degrees when I tested them right about 7pm. That's still technically subsonic based on the temperature.

I really should get some CFE Black or that 1680 but no one has it in stock locally. I think those are a little bit bulkier powders so I would get a better case fill. I tried loads all the way down to 7.9 grains and it was obvious I was getting powder shift. I might try setting my bullet slightly deeper in the case to see if it helps any.

Sierra published a bunch of load data regarding 300 BLK but in reality I am finding that I am just poking around in the dark trying to get there.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/12/2 ... load-data/
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Another question I have is what all goes into making a good bullet mold? I have some ideas that I think would be fun to try.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Powder coated bullets deposit just as much lead in my mystic X as bare uncoated cast bullets.

Not very much lead (i.e. rimfire), but they deposit enough that I wouldn't shoot either in a sealed can.

(yes, I load powder coated and cast bullets correctly)
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

golfindia wrote:Powder coated bullets deposit just as much lead in my mystic X as bare uncoated cast bullets.

Not very much lead (i.e. rimfire), but they deposit enough that I wouldn't shoot either in a sealed can.

What powders do you generally use?
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

alamo5000 wrote:Another question I have is what all goes into making a good bullet mold? I have some ideas that I think would be fun to try.
I always leave it up to the experts.

Accurate Molds can make a custom mild and have it at your door in a couple of weeks. The only drawback is he can't do pointy bullets.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
golfindia wrote:Powder coated bullets deposit just as much lead in my mystic X as bare uncoated cast bullets.

What powders do you generally use?
With cast and powder coated I use 1680, 4227, 4198.

I probably use 1680 the most.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

This is one thing I don't know the details on but I have considered (a lot). The only real experience I have had closer experience with is a friend had an AR chambered in 7.62x39. After a lot of shooting issues started to develop. Ultimately what was discovered was that he constantly shot that lacquer covered ammo and when he shot that stuff would cook off into a fine gas and harden back up and eventually gummed up his gun.

So far the bullets I have been shooting have been fairly accurate but I don't know the properties of the various coatings.

The bullets I am using now are using the Hi Tech coating but I don't know it's heat resistance or abrasion resistance properties or whatever.

Powder coating I have absolutely no experience with. So far the Hi Tech seems alright but it's clearly able to be scraped off the bullet if not loaded properly. It makes me wonder if it scrapes off down your barrel when fired. If it doesn't and does not cook off during the shooting process that would be excellent.

So far my experience with reloading about 20+ rounds of Hi Tech coated bullets has been good. That said shooting a crap load of that stuff through a suppressor is still an unknown. I am not doubting that it's fine--- I am more than anything saying I haven't tried it yet so I can't say from any experience of my own.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

The melting point of powder coating or whatever "hi tech" coating is can't be higher than the melting point of lead. No?