Multi-cal silencer...which is a better value?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gnumadic

Multi-cal silencer...which is a better value?

Post by gnumadic »

I am about to dip my toes in the NFA world and would like a multi-caliber silencer for my first one. I will probably buy more later, but I'd like this first purchase to cover .22, 9mm, and 300 BLK. I have a CZ P-09 with a threaded barrel, as well as their .22 Kadet kit (and will plan to have that barrel threaded). And then there's my 300 BLK AR-pistol.

The .22 requirement rules out the SilencerCo Hybrid 46, leaving the Liberty Mystic X and the Griffin Armament Optimus. Are there any others I'm missing?

I was initially leaning toward the Mystic X since it seems more easily serviced (and the company is local to me). However, after looking at all the accessories needed to match what comes with the Optimus I'm now on the fence. The cost is essentially the same and there seem to be more standard accessories available from Griffin (although Liberty can do a lot of custom work at reasonable prices).

Liberty Mystic X - Street price w/additional needed accessories - $990 total
  1. Suppressor (incl. 1/2x28 direct thread mount) - $615
  2. Booster - 1/2×28 -$155
  3. Sovereign to Mystic X Adapter - $75
  4. Liberty Suppressors LS1 Muzzle Brake - $145
Griffin Armament Optimus - Street price w/below included accessories - $986 total
  • 5/8x24 taper mount minimalist brake (with shim kit)
  • Full booster assembly
  • 1/2x28 piston (for use with 9mm)
  • 9mm (.38”) and 5.56mm (.22”) endcaps
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Multi-cal silencer...which is a better value?

Post by golfindia »

I've had a mystic x for a while, never heard of #3 and #4 until now. I dont see what purpose they serve. I have a 5/8x24 fixed adapter, a 1/2x28 fixed adapter, and a booster for 9mm. With these I can put the can on pretty much anything. If I need to shoot without can, I screw on a flash hider from the junk box that cost me $20.

Being the super cheapskate that I am, I rockset these on 9mm carbines:

https://precisionarmament.com/product/m ... d-adapter/

So I didnt have to buy any 1/2x36 adapters.

Never used an optimus, but it looks like they have a lot of pieces and parts. Mystic X is easy to clean with a wire brush and WD40. Cleaning individual baffles sucks.
gnumadic

Post by gnumadic »

I was looking to do direct thread on the 9mm pistol and quick attach on the AR. You are right that I could do it cheaper on the Mystic X by going direct thread on both weapons, versus trying to replicate the attachment options that Griffin includes. Cleaning ease is definitely a strong consideration, too! Does anyone have experience with the Optimus?
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

I have the Optimus. It is fairly rugged and pretty easy to use. I have used it across multiple platforms and I a few observations.
It can be heavy on a medium to small pistol or a small 22lr rifle.
It suppresses well for an all round suppressor but is not perfect.
It comes apart well and cleans similar. Wire brushes.
I primarily use it on my M&P 9mm and 300blk carbine. It does a great job on them and I am working on perfecting handloads for it.
I have a Thunderbeast in jail coming for my AR Pistol.
There is no perfect can.
I would go with your first choice. I went with Optimus because I wanted SS and serviceable.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Take a look at sandman suppressors.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Optimus is listed at 18.5 ounces in "full size" configuration. Mystic X is 10.5, presumably with no mount. I have an older Mystic (not the -X, so not rated for 338 Win Mag). It performs flawlessly on everything I've used it on. It is too heavy for a small(ish) 22 pistol.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

The Optimus is proven to be good stuff. On a side note I have 5 Griffin suppressors.