Thoughts on the Gemtech GMT-300

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

carboyvu

Thoughts on the Gemtech GMT-300

Post by carboyvu »

I am thinking about getting it as a dedicated can for my 8 inch 300 blackout SBR. I have searched the web and youtube. Everywhere I've looked has nothing but good things to say about it (but most of the info came from GemTech themselves), except the 4 consumer reviews on the silencer shop website. All 4 reviewers basically said the same thing. It is great for suppression, but the threads on the sleeve and core seizes making it very difficult to take apart for cleaning. If any of you owns one, please share your experiences with them. I would like to know if those are the only 4 in the US that seizes. Thanks.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thoughts on the Gemtech GMT-300

Post by dellet »

I have one and was more disappointed in the first round pop than anything else. It’s not that bad and can be mitigated, but I was diappointed.

Personally I think the stories of hard to service are user error.

It has square drive for mounting that needs to be used. If you twist the can on by the tube, it will tighten to the core more than the core will to the barrel. Same goes for taking it off, without the tool, you unscrew the tube from the core, unless you have the tube too tight.

A bit of nickel anti-seize on the threads helps.

It’s not uncommon for my wife to shoot 5-600 rounds of subs and let it sit for a couple weeks or months before I get to clean it. Only had it be too tight to take apart once. Shot about 3-4 super rounds through it, put a square drive in the hole and twisted the tube off. When the carbon is hot, it’s easier to break it free.

If you clean it after each shooting session and leave it wet, there will be zero first round pop the next time you use it.

If the only thing holding you back is a few people who say they can’t get it apart, I’d say it’s a poor reason.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Good info there dellet. I've been looking and pricing the GMT-300 too.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I have one as well. It lives fulltime on my 9” AAC SBR. I Shoot 95% supers, 125gn loaded with 296. Cleaning has never been an issue.

Dellet is absolutly correct. Use the hole in the end to tighten the core onto the rifle, then hand tighten the tube over the core.

I like the can overall. Its light enough to not change the balance of the rife noticeably.
carboyvu

Post by carboyvu »

Thanks for your input guys. Now I know how that problem occurs and what to do to prevent it. With the price that I see and what you guys told me here, I think I am going to lean towards getting one. I just wanted to see what satisfied owners do to avoid the problems that those 4 reviewers had on silencer shop. Atleast this time the wait wont be as bad since I already have a suppressor that I have been swapping between 4 rifles.

Over the years of researching reviews for anything I purchased, I realized that most of the negative reviews are due to user errors.
carboyvu

Post by carboyvu »

And now my wait begins.
Bob the nailer wrote:Good info there dellet. I've been looking and pricing the GMT-300 too.
Now that I got mine on order, capitolarmory.com has the GemTech 300 for $595. They are from Austin, TX so I do not know how out of state orders go about. Wouldn't hurt to look into it.

Also they have a special on Warlock 2 suppressors for .22 for $100 with a purchase of qualified suppressor. Was tempted but I currently don't own a 22. They also have a open box Omega 9k for $585. Never shot, just people handling it at gun shows. The Omega 9k, Omega 300 and Dead Air Sandman S were my other considerations. The 9k and the GemTech were about the same price. But the 9k decibel on a blackout shorty with subs, according to a youtube video by Capitol armory, is around 141 db. That's why I went with the GemTech. The Omega 300 and the Sandman S, I just didn't want to spend that much right now. Wife nagging me to replace our old furnitures in our new house of 3 years now, that we had back then in our apartment days. I currently have the Sandman S and love it. Since I have the Dead Air adapters on my guns, I thought another Sandman would be convenient.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I have one and was more disappointed in the first round pop than anything else.
Its an unfortunate fact of life that monocore cans will have more first round pop. If it really bothers you, try running the can wet. 300blk has a very low uncorking pressure. Thats why the GMT 300 blk can is only rated for 300blk. No 223, no 7.62x39. Nothing except 300blk.

So, although your not suspossed to run rifle cans wet, this one (especially with Subs) is ok.
carboyvu

Post by carboyvu »

When you guys say wet, do you dip it in water or coat the core with CLP?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

carboyvu wrote:When you guys say wet, do you dip it in water or coat the core with CLP?

I just squirt a few CC’s of water from a syringe into the tube