Sandman K vs Omega 9k

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

EnderZen

Sandman K vs Omega 9k

Post by EnderZen »

I was wondering if anyone has both or what people's opinions are. I want the shortest can just to take the edge off on my 9inch SBR. It seems like the Omega 9k is 4.7 inches and can get subsonics below 140 decibels (according to MAC on Youtube). I have not found anything definitive on the Sandman K and at 5.4 inches it is a little longer. This will be a dedicated can so I dont care about switching it to other platforms.

Thanks
nate89

Re: Sandman K vs Omega 9k

Post by nate89 »

I own both the Omega 9K and the Sandman K. My intent was similar to yours; I have an SBR blackout and wanted to keep with the "short and light" idea with the can attached. That was the reason for the 9k. The Sandman-K was bought to use on and 13.7 and 16" 5.56 rifles (once again to take the edge off, but not drastically increase weight and length on the barrel). While I never really intended the K for use on blackout, it does actually do a pretty good job. I personally like the omega 9K on blackout better, but I would not have a problem if I had to use either. I really like the 9k as it is direct thread, while the Sandman-k needed a FH or MB which is added weight.

If I was only planning on using it on a blackout, and some sort of 9mm carbine/subgun I would go 9k (or even the wolf 9sd!). If you wanted a can that also works on 308, 5.56, ect., the Sandman is going to handle that while the 9K cannot.
EnderZen

Post by EnderZen »

Thank you for the reply. That is the exact information I was looking for. Since this will be a dedicated can to my 300blk sbr, I will go with the 9K. I have others for the larger calibers.........

Crap... now you got me looking at the Wolf SD9. By chance, do you have that one too? if so how does it compare for 300 blk?
nate89

Post by nate89 »

EnderZen wrote:Thank you for the reply. That is the exact information I was looking for. Since this will be a dedicated can to my 300blk sbr, I will go with the 9K. I have others for the larger calibers.........

Crap... now you got me looking at the Wolf SD9. By chance, do you have that one too? if so how does it compare for 300 blk?

Yeah, we all know it never ends!! I do not personally own the Wolf, but a good friend of mine does, and I have shot it a bit on a Sig MPX. My impressions are the 9k is right between the short and long configuration as far as noise level. The wolf as a K is still pretty loud, even for a 9mm, with supers. Subs are not too bad, but still louder than my 9k. When you put that extra module on the end, however, it gets very nice to the ears with subs. We shot some 160 grain 9mm fiocchi subs. They were laughably quiet, more like a .22 than anything. I have shot plenty of suppressed guns, but this one got my smiling on the first round. I could hear the bullet flying through the air. I have not shot it with 300 BLK, but I would imagine it would mirror my experience with 9mm; not very pleasant in the K configuration (mostly just taking the edge off), but very nice in the L configuration for supers. Subs should be fine in K, and very nice in L.
EnderZen

Post by EnderZen »

Thanks nate89 for the good info! I think the key statement for me was "Subs are not too bad, but still louder than my 9k". Since I am looking for a short dedicated can, I can sacrifice the marginal length difference between the wolf k and 9k and stick with getting the 9k.

Just to keep adding fuel to the fire, any thoughts out there of the 9k vs TBAC Ultra 5? I did a search and not very many mentions of the Ultra 5 here.
nate89

Post by nate89 »

EnderZen wrote: Just to keep adding fuel to the fire, any thoughts out there of the 9k vs TBAC Ultra 5? I did a search and not very many mentions of the Ultra 5 here.
For my purposes, the Omega 9k was a more 'durable' can. Better with the bumps and general handling than the TB. Thunderbeast cans are primarily (at least the ultra series) for precision bolt guns. I know they can be used in other ways, but the omega 9k was purpose built for this sort of thing, and that's what I went with.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

You say you want a dedicated 300blk can....so why not look at the gemtech GMT300BLK.

Mine lives full time on my 9” gun and I love it. Nice and light. Does a good job with subs and supers. Just a great addition to my rifle.