Looking for a quiet 9mm suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Brettitt41

Re: Looking for a quiet 9mm suppressor

Post by Brettitt41 »

I just got my Rugged Obsidian 45 the other day and the 150 rounds of 9mm I have run through it so far on my S&W M&P 9c has been :mrgreen: :lol: They just came out with the Obsidian 9mm. Very nice modular cans, full size or in K form.
"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" George Orwell
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

Brettitt41 wrote:I just got my Rugged Obsidian 45 the other day and the 150 rounds of 9mm I have run through it so far on my S&W M&P 9c has been :mrgreen: :lol: They just came out with the Obsidian 9mm. Very nice modular cans, full size or in K form.
Just saw that yesterday, I was super excited. I considered their 45 can. I think the 9 mm can will be what I get. Silencer Shop already has them in stock. I am purchasing a house now, the day of closing or the day after I will be ordering one and doing my SBR paperwork.
I can’t wait for them to release sound numbers. I suspect the permformance will be just as good as the 45 or slightly better for 9 mm. The 45 can is great on 9mm. The site numbers have been confirmed.

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/obsidian-9/
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

I'm going to be buying a 9mm can shortly. However I am putting it off for a wile 3-8 monthes. Too many new 9mm cans are hitting the market. New griffin rev9, the rugged obsidian 9mm, dead air wolf-9sd and of course the very hyped zev kraken! I'm not buying anything until it's been out for a few months and real world reports come in. I am NOT a beta tester! I want stuff that works!

R
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

RAINS wrote:I'm going to be buying a 9mm can shortly. However I am putting it off for a wile 3-8 monthes. Too many new 9mm cans are hitting the market. New griffin rev9, the rugged obsidian 9mm, dead air wolf-9sd and of course the very hyped zev kraken! I'm not buying anything until it's been out for a few months and real world reports come in. I am NOT a beta tester! I want stuff that works!

R
The zev and the wolf definitely have my attention now as well. You may have the right idea about waiting. Each has their own strengths though.

The wolf seems like it would be stupid quit because of it’s diameter. It seems it was built to be more like a sub machine gun can.
The zev is boasting some impressive numbers on their site, but it is not modular.
Obsidian 9 seems like good middle ground between the 2, but it is heavier.

Still super excited to see what they are like.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

TexasEric wrote:
Brettitt41 wrote:I just got my Rugged Obsidian 45 the other day and the 150 rounds of 9mm I have run through it so far on my S&W M&P 9c has been :mrgreen: :lol: They just came out with the Obsidian 9mm. Very nice modular cans, full size or in K form.
Just saw that yesterday, I was super excited. I considered their 45 can. I think the 9 mm can will be what I get. Silencer Shop already has them in stock. I am purchasing a house now, the day of closing or the day after I will be ordering one and doing my SBR paperwork.

A couple things to consider:

Don't put to much faith in sound numbers. Might be OK for a ballpark comparison but the evaluators most times are the manufacturer. They know which powder and which bullet and which gun/barrel length give them the best results. Most average Joes cannot afford the thousands of dollars for sound equipment needed to measure db of a gunshot.

Generally longer slimmer is better than shorter fatter for noise reduction and use of factory sights.

I hope this next comment doesn't seem to sexist but get you order in before you buy the house. Your spouse will drain your bank account on new curtains, furniture, appliances, etc. Buying stuff while married is a matter of negotiation, just like buying a house. You need to do it during a time of mental toughness. Anytime within 24 hours before sex is not the time to buy a can. :P
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

hardcase wrote:
TexasEric wrote:

Don't put to much faith in sound numbers. Might be OK for a ballpark comparison but the evaluators most times are the manufacturer. They know which powder and which bullet and which gun/barrel length give them the best results. Most average Joes cannot afford the thousands of dollars for sound equipment needed to measure db of a gunshot.

Generally longer slimmer is better than shorter fatter for noise reduction and use of factory sights.

I hope this next comment doesn't seem to sexist but get you order in before you buy the house. Your spouse will drain your bank account on new curtains, furniture, appliances, etc. Buying stuff while married is a matter of negotiation, just like buying a house. You need to do it during a time of mental toughness. Anytime within 24 hours before sex is not the time to buy a can. :P
I totally get it, no offense taken. This our second house together, we should be in this one for about 10ish years. I already told her this is going to happen. She understands it, and there will be no getting out of it. Hopefully I don’t have to eat this words.
Kadonny
Silent Operator

Post by Kadonny »

I know it's not 9mm, but they do make a 9mm can. My YHM .45 Sidewinder is stupid quiet. I was shooting it this past weekend at my range under a roofed bench and the sound was amazingly quiet. I took my ears off and couldn't believe it. I've not shot it a lot since I got it last year, but I don't remember it being this quiet.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out there as the 9mm Sidewinder is probably very similar.
NRA Life Member
Jeep Fanatic
YHM Sidewinder
Liberty Leonidas
AAC SR-5
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

TexasEric wrote:
hardcase wrote:
TexasEric wrote:

I totally get it, no offense taken. This our second house together, we should be in this one for about 10ish years. I already told her this is going to happen. She understands it, and there will be no getting out of it. Hopefully I don’t have to eat this words.
Yeah, totally didn’t have to eat those words. Since we got the house I ordered the rugged obsidian 9, Surge 7.62, and mailed off my sbr paperwork. The hard now is getting all the other crap out of my gun cave. She is trying to use it as storage, as bring order to the clutter.
Blancs3030

Post by Blancs3030 »

I have a rugged obsidian 45 in jail now. I don't even own a 45 but I know I will eventually. Suppose to be great in 9mm though too. I already have a Griffin Optimus. Excellent all around can but it's 9mm numbers are its weakest point, but it's still backyard quiet.