Current HPA status

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Current HPA status

Post by Boolit_Head »

Seems like the Scalise shooting the HPA has lost a lot of steam. Anyone know what is going on with it?
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Current HPA status

Post by hardcase »

I figure hurricane stuff is front and center right now. When politicians got around to passing bills for "Super Storm Sandy", they added all kinds of pork and other stuff to the bill. Hopefully some astute legislator will add the HPA to one of these bills.

Our current Congress and President seem to have a big hard-on for each other, no matter the party affiliation. As a stand alone bill, HPA probably won't pass. Those voters from the big cities know little about firearms and even less about cans, except what they learn from Hollywood.

I don't see that many folks from that industry lined up behind it in support either.
brutis
Silent Operator

Post by brutis »

hardcase wrote:
I don't see that many folks from that industry lined up behind it in support either.
They should be! I don't see how this could hurt them but more likely increase their sales.

The average joe schmo isn't going to make his own can just like they're not going to machine a 80% lower.

but then I tend to simplify things :P
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the "80%" suppressor will go the way of the dodo if the HPA passes, for the most part anyway

why pay $250 or $300 for a kit when you'll be able to order a completed base model for about the same price.

i mean heck, rebel suppressors are already selling a $150 22lr can and a $250 30 cal can, all made from machined aluminum.

a company like that is lined up to be a high volume dealer post HPA.

likewise SDTA is now a manufacturer of suppressors and no longer sells their "solvent trap" supplies.

i'm with ya that its surprising that more class 3 dealers arent lining up to grease Washington lobby group pockets for this
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

They won't be doing anything until at least Tuesday as they are on vacation again.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dont worry, they'll be out in force this week, with their bipartison Harvey recovery aid bill. they gotta tell us all how wonderful it is while they stuff it full of pork. :evil: :evil: :evil:

then they'll go back to being a bunch of useless turds floating around the swamp, trying to gum up the waterworks.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

From an outsiders view and from an already deregulate market.
Why would your industry want deregulation...at the moment suppressor are a high end luxury items they achieve top dollar for. They must be making 500-2000% profit on them.
As you say there is one manufacture selling at $150, by my math that's still a very good profit.

If your market was deregulated there would a whole lot of new competition and cheaper materials with less longevity and the market will be flooded by imports from countries who have always had price pointed products.

The only way you'll get this to happen is hard work and perseverance by yourselves.

My 2 cents.
Good luck and keep fighting you'll get there.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Walkers Bay,

Seems like I remember you saying the only permit you need is a greenback or whatever color your folding money comes in.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

hardcase wrote:Walkers Bay,

Seems like I remember you saying the only permit you need is a greenback or whatever color your folding money comes in.
For a suppressor they considered under law a firearm accessory like a carry sling. With all the restrictions of a pack of chewing gum.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Walkers Bay wrote:
hardcase wrote:Walkers Bay,

For a suppressor they considered under law a firearm accessory like a carry sling. With all the restrictions of a pack of chewing gum.
Libs here would be amazed there's anyone left alive down there if they knew that...

Deregulation is good for innovation and the consumer. Right now there's a lot of risk in buying a bad one (months lost to the acquisition, monies paid to the govt and transferring FFL, etc), and if you have a baffle strike, you either pissed it all away, or you get to wait for a replacement (where some of those inflated margins go - warranty work).

I want as little govt involvement as possible. The market will sort itself.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices