Choosing a suppressor, experienced advice wanted

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

spinal tap
Silent Operator

Re: Choosing a suppressor, experienced advice wanted

Post by spinal tap »

For QD .30 caliber models, I really like the Dead Air Sandman-S. I like it so much, in fact, that I've also ordered a Sandman-K. Dead Air and Silencer Shop's special price on that was just too good for me to pass up and I like Dead Air's easy-to-use mounting system. I called them once with a question about indexing their mounts and someone picked up the phone and helped me immediately, so I can report good customer service in that regard. I don't know if the Sandman-S would be "stupid quiet" with 300 BLK subs. I've found subs to be "awfully danged quiet" with an AAC SDN-6 on an AR platform if that helps. The SDN-6 is a bit heavy, but does its job. I've used a Surefire MINI and an FA556-212 model for 5.56 ARs with good results. No complaints at all about SF products, but 5.56 will possibly never be "stupid quiet" with average loads.

For a direct-thread can, I'm sure you're on the right track with TBAC. I don't have hands-on experience with those, but by all accounts they are top notch.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

Any more can recommendation?
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

I found another suppressor of interest, the video of the db numbers is impressive. I believe it is more quiet then the ultra 7.

Griffin Armaments SD-30
https://www.silencershop.com/griffin-ar ... 30-sd.html

Anyone have any experience with these?
keith13b
Senior Silent Operator

Post by keith13b »

I am not familiar with the cans you are looking at, but my .02 cents of experience:

1. Pony up for a Titanium model. If you are going balls deep in on a Can, better not have any regrets. Spend the extra to save weight.
2. Don't dwell on price. Find the performance and customer support you want and be willing to pay for it.
3. If you want stupid quiet, buy a Gemtech Mist-22 integral suppressor and toss it on a Ruger 10/22. There is your stupid quiet. A BB gun is twice as loud.
4. I found direct thread-on to be the easiest to work with. Others' opinions may be different.
5. If you want to use the can on multiple hosts, accept the fact that you will be buying multiple cans in the end.
6. Advertised sound reduction is very subjective, and so are people opinions. Best bet is to try a can in person and go by recommendations from people with experience.
7. Everyone has different needs, so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Griffin in general makes good stuff. Do note that the t-bac ultra 9 is 7.6oz lighter. Get 37 quarters or 7.6ozs and hang them on your mussel. See how much difference it makes! It's worth a few DB to get a lighter can. Seriously though a bag of quarters taped to the mussel thing really gives you an idea of how much just a few extra oz effects a guns handling.

R
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

keith13b wrote:I am not familiar with the cans you are looking at, but my .02 cents of experience:

1. Pony up for a Titanium model. If you are going balls deep in on a Can, better not have any regrets. Spend the extra to save weight.
2. Don't dwell on price. Find the performance and customer support you want and be willing to pay for it.
3. If you want stupid quiet, buy a Gemtech Mist-22 integral suppressor and toss it on a Ruger 10/22. There is your stupid quiet. A BB gun is twice as loud.
4. I found direct thread-on to be the easiest to work with. Others' opinions may be different.
5. If you want to use the can on multiple hosts, accept the fact that you will be buying multiple cans in the end.
6. Advertised sound reduction is very subjective, and so are people opinions. Best bet is to try a can in person and go by recommendations from people with experience.
7. Everyone has different needs, so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
This is my 1st can so I am doing a ton of research. Everything you told me is true.
That has lead me to the Q Thunder Chicken. I am waiting for some independent reviews from silencer shop. The only point I disagree with is that it is stupid quite. Watch the silencer shop YouTube video of the Full Nelson, it the direct thread version. The Thunder Chicken is half an inch shorter than the Full Nelson, I don't want 9 in can on a 8 inch barrel. All you can hear is the action and a bit of gas, the Thunder Chicken should sound similar.

https://youtu.be/hiuhzPUaLrc

It is less than 2 mins, it is worth watching.

In the long run I will buy an Ultra 7, probably after a suppress my 9 mm. The can is EXTREMELY nice, and light. For now it will probably be a Q can or a Surefire 300 sps. The 300 sps is very quiet as well. But at 20 ounces and being inconel/steel, it is a tank. That is both good and bad.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

RAINS wrote:Griffin in general makes good stuff. Do note that the t-bac ultra 9 is 7.6oz lighter. Get 37 quarters or 7.6ozs and hang them on your mussel. See how much difference it makes! It's worth a few DB to get a lighter can. Seriously though a bag of quarters taped to the mussel thing really gives you an idea of how much just a few extra oz effects a guns handling.

R
Yeah, I want one. The moment I touched one I knew it was an EXTREMELY good can. Plus the TBAC has a GREAT reputation. Q is super new aggressively expanding and selling. The Q can is 5oz heavier as well, both are made grade 5 titanium. But it will noticeably more quiet, that is currently what I am chasing. We will see what I buy in the coming days.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

There is no way the Q can is going to be bad. Go for it! Just make sure to post pictures/review when you get it.
The whole NFA system makes it hard to get any real review on silencers.

R
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

My Thunder Beast Ultra 7 has been my favorite so far:

2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Kanook wrote:If I had to do it over again, I would get the TBAC Ultra 9 (I have the TBAC CB9) and I would get the Liberty Mystic X (I have the Mystic). The new ratings for the Mystic X will allow Full power .308 with barrel length restrictions. http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/
I have the latest Mystic-X (300 WMAG rated) as well as a Ti Leonidas. They make good stuff with excellent service. They are definately worth a look.