suppressor came loose this weekend

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: suppressor came loose this weekend

Post by hardcase »

I'm assuming you tried heat. And tried calling the suppressor manufacturer too for advice. Most likely they have run into this problem before.

I'm not an expert on the NFA regs but I think as long as they can salvage the tube with the SN they could drill or cut out the existing endcap, then replace the internals. I had a baffle strike that also damaged the endcap. Sent my can back. Got the original tube with serial number, and new internals. The can manufacturer did this free but didn't have to. Just good customer service. It was my fault.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

hardcase wrote:I'm assuming you tried heat. And tried calling the suppressor manufacturer too for advice. Most likely they have run into this problem before.

I'm not an expert on the NFA regs but I think as long as they can salvage the tube with the SN they could drill or cut out the existing endcap, then replace the internals. I had a baffle strike that also damaged the endcap. Sent my can back. Got the original tube with serial number, and new internals. The can manufacturer did this free but didn't have to. Just good customer service. It was my fault.

its a Form 1 suppressor. built from a gen1 SDTA TI "D" solvent trap tube, with freeze plug baffles.

i havent tried heat, but as i said - its really not a big deal. it can stay there without any negative effects. its an itty bitty tiny little chip. while it has two tail-caps (5/8x25 and 1/2x28) i only drilled the endcap out for 30 caliber spec. so its not like i've got two of those that need to swap and i'm stuck with the 22 cal one on there or anything limiting its usage.

i did not catch any of the internal baffles - i checked with my endoscope - just clipped the endcap itself. its not like its cocked way off kilter or anything from a direct perpendicular hit with the front of the bullet. the can is still 100% functional. If i need to remove any of the internal baffles for service at some point in the future - which is unlikely since it'll never see rimfire ammo or uncoated lead centerfire ammo - they can still come out the tail end of the tube.

if i get a bug in my behind down the road, i may try the flame wrench to see if it helps or just melts my strap wrench :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

plant.one wrote:
hardcase wrote:I'm assuming you tried heat. And tried calling the suppressor manufacturer too for advice. Most likely they have run into this problem before.

its a Form 1 suppressor. built from a gen1 SDTA TI "D" solvent trap tube, with freeze plug baffles.

i havent tried heat, but as i said - its really not a big deal. it can stay there without any negative effects. its an itty bitty tiny little chip. while it has two tail-caps (5/8x25 and 1/2x28) i only drilled the endcap out for 30 caliber spec. so its not like i've got two of those that need to swap and i'm stuck with the 22 cal one on there or anything limiting its usage.

i did not catch any of the internal baffles - i checked with my endoscope - just clipped the endcap itself. its not like its cocked way off kilter or anything from a direct perpendicular hit with the front of the bullet. the can is still 100% functional. If i need to remove any of the internal baffles for service at some point in the future - which is unlikely since it'll never see rimfire ammo or uncoated lead centerfire ammo - they can still come out the tail end of the tube.

if i get a bug in my behind down the road, i may try the flame wrench to see if it helps or just melts my strap wrench :mrgreen:
I had an issue once where I had to heat an item. Used a big old pipe wrench with rounded teeth where the pipe was suppose to go and several straps of leather to keep from scratching it. Trouble with a suppressor is you would probably distort the tube trying to hold it with a big old wrench, like a Si thing from Duck Dynasty.

Not that I am suggesting you do the following but since it is a Form 1 build would it be legal to drill out the hole to say 40 cal or 45? Obviously I can see your point that "if it ain't broke done mess with it"
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

plant.one wrote:

if i get a bug in my behind down the road, i may try the flame wrench to see if it helps or just melts my strap wrench
:mrgreen:
Now that answers my question as why it come loose.
I know there is a tighter tolerance for rifle threads than machine or bolt type dies.
I only suggestion is is to get a gun smith to re thread your can to a matched pitch for your firearms. This should prevent future issues.
Even my elcheapo 22 disposable suppressors go on and never loosen and they're 1/2 x20 course thread.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Walkers Bay wrote: Now that answers my question as why it come loose.
I know there is a tighter tolerance for rifle threads than machine or bolt type dies.
I only suggestion is is to get a gun smith to re thread your can to a matched pitch for your firearms. This should prevent future issues.
Even my elcheapo 22 disposable suppressors go on and never loosen and they're 1/2 x20 course thread.

so you're suggesting its a thread issue with the tailcap(s) itself? AFAIK the threads on the tailcaps were machined in, not cut with a tap/die. i purchased the tailcapscaps both pre-threaded. those and the tube were un-modified by me. all i did was drill the freeze plugs out to make the baffles and the endcap. both were center marked.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source ... KM0SXiBWgA

Let me know if this link works. Its a pdf link.
I'm looking at the thread class section specifically.
I remember reading this article when it came out. Might not be the reason why yours has caused you problems but I'm sure it's caused someone on here one.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Walkers Bay wrote:
Let me know if this link works. Its a pdf link.
I'm looking at the thread class section specifically.
I remember reading this article when it came out. Might not be the reason why yours has caused you problems but I'm sure it's caused someone on here one.
Long, but good read.

The basic take away is the time involved in doing it right, vs the cost of many of the budget barrels. We see it here quite often when people post pictures of threads and shoulders.

For Plant, the reason he didn't have a bigger problem is that he has a .308 bore shooting a .224 bullet. Besides a thread issue, he has a shoulder issue and a weight issue. The mating surface/shoulder for most threaded .308 bores is relative not only to the opening, but the weight it will support. You need more mating surface for a two pound nine inch can than you will for a twelve ounce seven inch.

My guess on the tilt end cap is that is tight has nothing to do with the strike, and more to do with lack of regular removal. I'm betting that on a clean, newly assembled non drilled unit you could shoot a few rounds through it and still unscrew the cap.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

so how would ya'll suggest i go about correcting my potential tailcap/barrel thread fitment issue as a more long term/permanent solution?

would i be better served to get a new (nonthreaded) tailcap and have ADCO cut a matching female thread that they put on the barrel in it?
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

plant.one wrote:so how would ya'll suggest i go about correcting my potential tailcap/barrel thread fitment issue as a more long term/permanent solution?

would i be better served to get a new (nonthreaded) tailcap and have ADCO cut a matching female thread that they put on the barrel in it?

Its not my money to spend and without seeing it I'd hate to put you wrong.
However it won't hurt to get a gunsmith or a trust to check with a set pitch gauges.
After they give you a recommendation.

I just opened my safe and took a few suppressors off and wriggled the threads on the way back onto the gun.
Without trying to jinks myself I think I'd be comfortable to unscrew any of my suppressors halfway before id get a baffle strike.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:so how would ya'll suggest i go about correcting my potential tailcap/barrel thread fitment issue as a more long term/permanent solution?

Is ADCO licensed to make silencer parts?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.